PDA

View Full Version : Old German Document

perisama
20-01-2010, 6:29 PM
Hello, I have an old (1800's) document about my dad's Great grandmother in Germany. I think it may have something to do with her birth or marriage... Does anyone know how I can go about getting it looked at and deciphered. I did try my cousin in Germany but I don't think he could be bothered.

arthurk
20-01-2010, 7:39 PM
If you can scan it and post the image online and provide a link to it, someone here may be able to help. (Some of us did German at school, and I suspect one or two took it further.) There's a thread here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30819) on how to use Photobucket for posting images on the forum, but there are other similar sites or you might already have somewhere suitable that you can use.

Arthur

perisama
20-01-2010, 9:03 PM
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/perisamablue/AnnaMariaKellarandheinrich.jpg

?????

perisama
20-01-2010, 9:04 PM
WOW It worked!!!! I expected a link to go somewher else but lo and behold! It appeared as if by magic!!!!

perisama
20-01-2010, 9:08 PM
The only thing I can help with are the names Anna Maria Kella (Kellar) and Heinrich Reh. The rest of the family further uo the line came from around Alsfeld, Hessen area of Germany but I don't know where the Kella / Reh came from. No one travelled very far In those days if they didn't have to.

Nicolina
21-01-2010, 1:33 AM
Heinrich REH married Anna Marie KELLER from ? looks like Bernsfeld which is north east of Wiesbaden and Frankfurt am Main.
Will try adjusting the picture to see if I can pick up anything else

Nicolina
21-01-2010, 1:57 AM
Unfortunately I can only make out odd words, but will keep trying.
Literal translation about Anna Marie KELLER
Ehefrau von Heinrich Reh, Anna Marie Reh geb. Keller von Bernsfeld
=
Wife of Heinrich Reh, Anna Marie Reh born (maiden name) Keller from Bernsfeld.

perisama
21-01-2010, 3:24 PM
Thanks Nicolina, Looks like Jenny and Jacob somebody at the top but the name looks like Paf?? keep trying... I sure you will be able to see more than me.

Sue Mackay
21-01-2010, 3:57 PM
The IGI for Germany has a surprising number of Heinrich REHs (OK, I know, it's probably like John Smith in Hessen ;)). Thought I had found the marriage for Anne Maria KELLER but it's the wring spouse. Worth having a browse. Go to normal IGI site and just put Germany for region.

arthurk
21-01-2010, 5:03 PM
After encouraging you to post this, I'm afraid I have to admit partial defeat. The parts in ink seem to me to refer to a family called Pass(?): the top half looks like the birth of a child to Jakob and Anna Margarethe Pass on 12 ?Nov 1822. I'm not sure about the bit just above and on the crease, but it might say that it's their second child. Anna Margarethe's maiden name is given, but I can't make it out.

The second half records something on 17 Nov 1822 - possibly a baptism. Then there's a reference to something on 18 Feb 1819, and I wonder if it might be an earlier baptism. However, I can't make out much of it.

In both halves there are some words after Jakob's name which I think may be an occupation and residence.

The pencilled bit at the bottom doesn't seem to me to be obviously connected to the family mentioned above, and the phrasing is similar to what might be found for a burial in an English register (without the date!).

Hope this helps,
Arthur

Nicolina
21-01-2010, 6:43 PM
silly me. I've just realised that it was written in Hoch Deutsch, where double S is written similar to a script version of B. Therefore I would suggest trying to find Jakob B*ss. Could be BUSS, there are several possibles listed on the LDS Pilot search.

perisama
22-01-2010, 7:25 PM
Thanks, Arthur, Nicola and Sue!!! I have had a look at The possibilities Of Buss, Bass etc but can't find any connection to Keller. Will keep trying though. This piece of paper has been driving me nuts for months!!!!! I am determined to get to the bottom of it!!!! (With your help of course, I can't do it on my own anymore)

(And what is going on with A***y dot co dot uk where you can't get pay per view any more, you have to buy vouchers from somewhere obscure which then gets sent through the post. I only want to do a few world look ups and I want to do them now while I a a day or two off work!!! Hubby won't let me have world subs,, he thinks it's all a waste of time!!!) |scold|

apwright
18-02-2010, 8:20 AM
Heinrich Reh Sohn von Jakob Reh, Gemeinds-
Ackermann zu Oppenrod, und dessen Ehefrau
Anna Margarethe geborene Wagner [inserted: von Geilshausen] geboren
am 12ten November 1822 als drittes Kind = 2ter
Sohn.
Getauft am 17t November 1822.
Getraut ward obige Pers. am 18.II.1819 in Oppenrod.
Jakob Reh ?vierter Sohn v. Heinrich Reh Gemeinds-Acker-
mann in Oppenrod, alt bei der Trauung 27 Jahre.
Ehefrau von Heinrich Reh Anna Marie Reh geb. Keller von
Bernsfeld.

Heinrich Reh, son of Jakob Reh, communal farmer in Oppenrod, and his spouse Anna Margarethe nee Wagner [inserted: from Geilshausen], born on 12 November 1822 as their third child = 2nd son.
Christened on 17 November 1822.
The above person [i.e. Jakob] was married on 18 February 1819 in Oppenrod.
Jakob Reh ?fourth son of Heinrich Reh, communal farmer in Oppenrod, age at marriage 27 years.
Spouse of Heinrich Reh is Anna Marie Reh nee Keller of Bernsfeld.

Oppenrod, Geilshausen and Bernsfeld are within about 10 miles of each other, northeast of Giessen.
Hope this helps!
Adrian

apwright
18-02-2010, 9:35 AM
Too late to edit my post, but for "Getraut ward obige Pers." please read "Getraut wurde obiges Paar". The above couple was married...

Adrian

arthurk
18-02-2010, 4:25 PM
Which goes to show how important it is to be aware of the different styles of handwriting that might have been used. Well done, Adrian - that makes rather more sense than my efforts.

Arthur

perisama
20-02-2010, 8:32 AM
Adrian, you are my new hero!!!!! Super Adrian from now on!!! Thank you so very much.