PDA

View Full Version : Bennett born Islington

Annieh
12-04-2005, 4:07 PM
I have on 1861 Census John BENNETT 39 born Islington. His wife is Jane aged 39 born Bermondsey and they have a son John aged 16, and 5 other children.
My problem is that I have now ordered 3 marriage certs and have been told the info is incorrect, but I have to pay 3 charge each time.
[b]Has anybody got any ideas as they have not been found so far when I asked someone to check on Southwark census 1851. They were in St George the Martyr in 1861. I also had Bermondsey checked.
As it is such a common name I was hoping for a second census check to help re ages. Freebmd brings up many.
In hope
Annieh

mary elms
12-04-2005, 5:22 PM
The problem with census searches is that people moved around this area a lot and without an index it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have one family that appears in parish registers in Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Stepney and Finsbury. Even when one of them is within a year of a census I can't guarantee finding them in that place.

The IGI gives two possible marriages -

JOHN BENNETT & Jane Elizabeth JAQUES 02 FEB 1843 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London, England
John BENNETT & Jane GOLDSMITH 07 APR 1844 Saint John The Baptist, Shoreditch, London, England

so I can see the problem with the name. When you say that the info is wrong, is that the reference info or the basic info about names and dates? Do you know Jane's maiden name? If not then have you looked for the birth of one of the children? The certificate should give you a maiden name.

If it's the reference info from the indexes that are wrong then I've found that they're much more likely to do something about that these days without docking your money than they were a couple of years ago.

Mary.

Annieh
22-04-2005, 6:34 PM
Hi Mary
Thanks for your help and I cannot believe I missed that IGI one for Jane Goldsmith!!

I am now off again searching.
Thanks Annie