PDA

View Full Version : FOUND!!! James and Catherine COWEY

Summer
14-12-2009, 1:00 PM
I got back to Ireland from Newcastle (UK) yesterday evening, after a flying visit to look into the COWEY family of Sunderland and North Shields/Tynemouth, while over this side of the planet for Christmas with my husband's family.

Saturday I visited the addresses of Robert and Esther Cowey in Sunderland to see original homes, and also tried to find their grave (#82 in section 3C in Bishopwearmouth Cemetary) but no luck there unfortunately - all the numbers are gone and there are many graves with no current gravestone or aren't readable. Didn't help that I was distracted by a group of lads drinking cans, etc, in the area I was looking!! Beautiful cemetary though! In any case, I have loads of photos to add to the family history and make it come alive.

Then yesterday I was in the North Shields area. Visited the church (Christchurch) where Robert's grandparents James and Catherine Cowey were married, walked the streets where my forebears walked, took heaps of photos, etc! Then (last minute, as I had taken too long walking around North Shields), I was sprinting around the Tynemouth Priory praying as I went that I would find James Cowey's grave and 5 minutes in, lo and behold, there he was!!!! It was a real emotional moment! I took photos, wrote down his inscription and found out that he had 2 infant children that I didn't know about at all and his wife were all also buried there. My Gran will be delighted to have these pics (as I am!) as she can't travel to England from Oz anymore.

I then RAN to the "Met-ro" and caught a train to the airport and got on a plane an hour later!! Literally!

Thomasin
14-12-2009, 1:21 PM
What a wonderful moment - and in the nick of time, too!

Thomasin

Wilkes_ml
14-12-2009, 1:29 PM
Well done! It's great when that happens - it's almost as though they are looking down on us and helping sometimes!

v.wells
14-12-2009, 3:36 PM
Well done! It's great when that happens - it's almost as though they are looking down on us and helping sometimes!

Great stuff Summer!:D