PDA

View Full Version : I'm a lucky so and so

Sue Mackay
18-11-2009, 11:16 PM
I have just come back from two days in London. This was a trip to see my son and his fiancee and to take in a show, so I didn't take any genealogy notes with me. However, we had a couple of hours free on Tuesday afternoon and the sun was actually shining, so we walked along the Thames to St.John's, Wapping, where I have recently discovered I had ancestors.

The churchyard is now a park and the grave stones have been moved to the outer perimeter. Ninety per cent of them are totally illegible, but I had a wander round anyway while hubby photographed the church and the school next door, where an ancestor taught.

Suddenly a name was legible, and I recognised it as a name that had appeared on John Jeffries CORSAN's will. Intrigued, I read down the gravestone, past several lines that were barely legible, and suddenly read as clear as a bell "Also to the memory of John Jeffries Corsan". That's my 3x gt grandfather!
|woohoo|

I must have done something good at some time, because this is the second time this has happened to me. In South Africa my gt gt grandfather's grave is the only grave left standing upright and legible in an old graveyard that has been badly vandalised

Waitabit
18-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I must have done something good at some time, because this is the second time this has happened to me. In South Africa my gt gt grandfather's grave is the only grave left standing upright and legible in an old graveyard that has been badly vandalised

I remember very well your soing something 'good' Sue. On more than one occasion too.
Well done your finding that. So deserved.|hug|

MarkJ
18-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Looks as though someone was smiling on you that day Sue!

What a super find - and on the spur of the moment too!

As Wendy says, totally deserved too!

Mark :)

Waitabit
19-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I just wish my keyboard could spell as well as I do in the semi-dark. Too warm for much light here.:D

Mutley
19-11-2009, 12:39 AM
The sun certainly shone for you on that day Sue,
Fantastic news,

And I bet, you are still smiling now. :)

v.wells
19-11-2009, 1:08 AM
That's wonderful Sue! You deserved that find (and all the others too) |hug|

ChristineR
19-11-2009, 1:15 AM
I must have done something good at some time

I must agree with the others here |hug|
What a wonderful thing to happen, I am a firm believer in synchronicity.

pottoka
19-11-2009, 2:25 AM
That's a marvellous and heartwarming story, Sue. You were maybe lucky, but you deserve it. :)

I hope you got your husband straight out of the church to photograph the headstone. http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/charleysuniform/photog.gif And, of course, you know that things come in threes, so there'll be another somewhere some day (soon, fingers crossed).

AnnB
19-11-2009, 7:56 AM
Isn't it amazing that you can search and search for something and never find it. Then when you aren't searching for anything.........;)

I'm a great believer in fate :)

Well done Sue
Ann

busyglen
19-11-2009, 4:07 PM
I'm a great believer in fate :)

Well done Sue
Ann
As am I Ann! ;)

Great Sue, so pleased for you. |hug|

Glenys

SBSFamilyhistory
19-11-2009, 4:10 PM
lol but had you been looking for it S's law says it would have been very illusive.

Sue |hug| Sue

MythicalMarian
19-11-2009, 9:10 PM
He was drawing you to him there, Sue. You were meant to find him. I know I'm a sentimental old soul but I can't help it. |hug|

Jan65
20-11-2009, 11:26 AM
He was drawing you to him there, Sue. You were meant to find him. I know I'm a sentimental old soul but I can't help it. |hug|

Ditto! Congratulations on your great find!