View Full Version : Paris

19-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I am rather confused! |banghead|

I have the names of two people who married in France in 1941. Mrs X was born in England in 1916 and Mr X was born in France in 1919. I have an address they were living at in 75014 Paris but unfortunately I don't know which year that was.

I understand that Mr X may have been involved in the French Resistance, Mrs X certainly was as she carried messages by bicycle here and there. I've come across similar names to his that are within lists for concentration camps but whether any of them are him I'm not sure yet. I know of 2 children from their marriage.

I've read various information about finding documents in France but I'm still stuck! Can someone point me in the right direction please?

PS. Also can you tell me if "3eme etage droite" means 3rd floor on the something?

20-09-2009, 2:41 AM
"3ème étage droite" means the third floor flat on the right as you're going up the stairs or coming out of the lift; this would be in a building where there would only be two flats per floor.

Etage = floor; droite = right; gauche = left.
3ème is short for troisième, like we write 3rd for third.

20-09-2009, 3:24 AM
Taken from the Paris Archives site:

The Archives de Paris holds records up until 1902 (included). For BMD records in Paris from 1903 onwards, you need to write directly to the Town Hall of the arrondissement where the event was registered.

You can do this in three ways:
- by the Internet via the site paris.fr, then click on "vos démarches et services pratiques", then "téléprocédures" then order a certificate.
- by letter to the Town Hall concerned including an s.a.e for the reply and a copy of some form of identification which includes a photograph (passport, etc)
- directly at the Town Hall concerned where you will be asked to fill in a form

Do not forget to include a time bracket (ten years maximum).

N.B. The civil register of the last 100 years cannot be freely communicated in its entirety. In some cases, the applicant will be required to justify his or her relationship to the person concerned by the certificate which he or she wishes to obtain. More information about obtaining BMD certificates is available in the guide to rights and procedures under the heading "papiers", then "état civil".

If you think you can order the marriage certificate, Browneyes, you can PM me with the details, and we can try.

20-09-2009, 9:23 AM
Thank you Finbar and Pottaka. The information you have given me is very useful. |hug|