PDA

View Full Version : From England to Jamaica then The Bahamas

Vera
16-09-2009, 3:18 AM
Dear Friends,

I would like to thank the kind people at this forum for allowing me to Post
information regarding my Family's connections.

I began in The Bahamas at the National Archives, searching for a man who had the same last name as I have (Poitier). A man who died in the Bahamas in 1825.
Like a Private Investigator, I took my job of finding his descendants very serious.
I travelled to the United States to Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina where I have relatives and at my convenience checked all possible records there. Yes. I checked Canada, France, England and several Islands in the Caribbean as well. Hours and hours on the Internet.

In Weybridge, I went into the Cemetery to try and connect the names of the living in the Bahamas with the deceased, but the tomb stones revealed nothing. The Librarian there convinced me to change my way of searching,
and look for changes in name spelling.

With her advice in mind, I went back to the Bahamas, still thinking that I had
an American connection dating back from 1784.

I had not given up hope and after sixteen years (16) years I was introduced to B-G Forums by Nancy Peeples at Bahamas Genealogy.com.

I received all of the information from this Forum needed to identify Colonel Charles Poitier. I found his Descendants who live in Australia.
Thank you B-G Forums if I had found you earlier I would have saved some time. Thank you also Nancy Peeples. Hello John Scott.

christanel
17-09-2009, 9:40 AM
What an interesting story Vera and your determination to find your ancestors deserves the happy result you finally got. Thank you for telling us about it, it helps us hang in there with our own brick walls.
Christina