PDA

View Full Version : My Ebay Win

Spangle
09-09-2009, 9:37 PM
My parents divorced when I was a child and my father's side of the family and I were estranged for many years. By the time that I found my Dad, at the age of 22, of course some of his side had lost touch with the rest of my paternal family.

One of these was a concert pianist. All Dad knew of her was that she had been "quite famous in her field". Many years later I would discover that she had indeed been well respected as a pianist and that she had played solo pieces at the Proms and across the world. She died in 1996 having long since lost touch with we lesser mortals and I never met her.

So imagine my delight when I found this on Ebay, which is now sitting on my desk waiting to be added to my file of pictures and stories.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x162/paulsspangle/BZJT5SwBGkKGrHgoH-CoEjlLlfZ3LBKlQuv.jpg

The photograph is signed by the lady herself - little did she know it would end up in the hands of her cousin's grandaughter.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I bought a book off the net, "Copper for America", about the Hendricks family, whose copper business had a far-reaching effect on the history of the USA. Uriah Hendricks, the man who started the business was the brother of my own several times G Grandmother, Rosy Hendricks, and the book mentions business transactions with the Oppenheim family, into whom Rosy married.

My edition of the book, which was written many years ago, had been signed by the author. That had no real meaning to me, but his reason for doing so did. He had signed a few copies "for members of the Hendricks family".

Little did he know either!

None of this would have been possible without the kindness and generosity of the B-G forum members and owners, who have tirelessly helped me with my research into my and my father's Kohler, Oppenheim and Hendricks ancestors.

Thank you all. |hug|

MarkJ
09-09-2009, 9:39 PM
Now that is a pretty impressive find, Spangle!

You must be thrilled with that one!

Mark :)

spison
09-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Spangle,

What a lovely story and what a lovely find. I wonder about its history.

Jane

pipsqueak
09-09-2009, 9:41 PM
That is wonderful. You can't ask for any more than that, can you? Perfect. Well done! Perhaps I should look for my ancestors on eBay too - you never know, do you!

v.wells
09-09-2009, 9:50 PM
Wow Spangle! That is a truly magnificent find! Well done |hug|

sue2white
09-09-2009, 9:53 PM
That is fantastic!
Who would have thought.....perhaps I'll search EBay for a few of my ancestors. How strange.

Sue:rolleyes:

Spangle
09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I am lucky in that these are unusual names to research. It's not all plain sailing though, I also have Cook, Cox, Webb and White. The Cooks come from Bisham but all I get on a net search is the titled Cook family from the village and they definately aren't mine and I won't tell you what I have said of the Milstead/Milsted family who have the audacity to make Google searches a nightmare by originating from within a few miles of the Kent village of that name!

I had another lucky find a couple of years ago. I knew that my G G Grandad was buried (with 345,000 others) at Brookwood cemetery. At the time I had nothing but a memory of a photo owned by Grandad showing an impressive memorial to the man but was curious as to why this working class man was interred in a private cemetery in such style. So, I Googled the cemetery name to understand why this might have been so and discovered a book on Brookwood on a well-known bookseller's website.

The book detailed the memorials and information on a couple of hundred at most of those buried there. Luckily for me the website had a scan of the book's index so I had to look, despite being sure that my ironmonger's clerk, originally (but as it turned out wrongly) suspected of being a drinker and social wrong 'un wouldn't be there.

I looked through the R's... til I saw, to my total amazement, "Edward Victor Robbins". I had to look again and again to convince myself that I wasn't seeing things!

I sobbed with joy as I ordered the book and when I got it read that the man who Grandad had suspected of being an undesirable had been buried in the Ancient Order of Foresters plot with great honour owing to his good work in the community and high position in the Order. It even gave the eulogy read during the unveiling of the memorial and the names of those who attended and appears to confirm family rumours that my Grandad's Dad was ostricated from the family because he was not amongst the offspring present.

So yes, for goodness sake don't forget that Ebay and the like can bring great results. I frequently search for "Sackville Street, Dublin" there... I haven't yet found something written by, or even made by my tailor ancestor but who knows... one day I might.

Chasing Caseys
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I often search that particular site for family stuff as well as other un -needed stuff !

I gave up trying to locate and buy a copy of my gt gt grandfathers book of poetry published in 1860's, it was always going to be a very lucky find as there are only a few in existance, two in Scotland one at The British Library (ive still yet to go see) and the other with a family member in SA. Long story about the copying and cost i would have been charged by the various institutions to copy ect.........but in the last year or so Google Books have published it !
Worth bookmarking (no pun intended) Google Books and searching it every now and then, you never know what you will find............

MythicalMarian
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I am thrilled for you, Spangle. What a fantastic find. Ooh, I get all tearful and choked up when people have a great breakthrough like this. There's nothing quite like it.

I can just imagine the moment when you saw her face....

Well done! |jumphappy

ellington
17-05-2010, 7:35 AM
I'm just starting - but add me to the Kohler file - My g.grandfather was Thos.Henry Kohler - married to Emma Oppenheim - my grandmother was Maude
This is all so interesting - she moved to Canada with her son Stanley(my father), daughter Daphne, my aunt , after her husband's death - lived with an uncle(I think) in Treesbank, Manitoba. She, my Dad and Aunt eventually moved to Vancouver - I have two paintings done by Thos.H. and some family pics of Ricardo, Estelle, Antionette, Gladys, Irene(Rene) as a child
I'm anxious to find out more, and more, and---- hello to all my cousins (how many times removed?) Ellington

Waitabit
17-05-2010, 10:49 AM
As another with a Kohler connection (USA) a Richard, I appreciate your excitement spangle, congratulations on your find, it has great huggability.

Spangle
17-05-2010, 9:31 PM
I'm almost speechless! Am off to pm Ellington right now!

:)