PDA

View Full Version : Magdeburg Help with name lookup

Bulla
24-08-2009, 1:57 PM
Can anyone familiar with http://igi-index.de/ give me a hand please ?

I am trying to trace some German ancestors who hail from Magdeburg. In particular Friedrich Willhelm Knebeg (Knibbesche,Knibbecche or Knibig!) or his father Gottfried Jacob Knebeg.

I cant seem to find a link for Magdeburg anywhere on the site so that I can browse the name index ?

Thanks for any help

Bulla

Sue Mackay
24-08-2009, 2:30 PM
My German isn't good enough to cope with that site but I put in a search of the IGI with Germany as the region and the only hit with any of those name variations was a Carl Albert August KNIBIG born in Neustrelitz in 1823, but even that was a submitted entry.

Bulla
24-08-2009, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the Reply Sue, am I right in thinking that the English IGI site just pulls data from the German one I linked to ? If thats the case then I guess its game over as far as those names are concerned ?

Thanks

Bulla

Sue Mackay
24-08-2009, 3:12 PM
Thanks for the Reply Sue, am I right in thinking that the English IGI site just pulls data from the German one I linked to ? If thats the case then I guess its game over as far as those names are concerned ?

Thanks

Bulla

As far as I know the IGI is one huge world wide database - you just need to specify the region.

Have you tried the Anglo-German FHS? They don't appear to be sensible enough to be registered with Parish Chest, but they do have a website ;)

Bulla
24-08-2009, 3:13 PM
As far as I know the IGI is one huge world wide database - you just need to specify the region.

Have you tried the Anglo-German FHS? They don't appear to be sensible enough to be registered with Parish Chest, but they do have a website ;)

I had thought about the Anglo German FHS but wasnt sure if it was any good or not ? I'm just looking for testimonials now.

Kerrywood
24-08-2009, 3:24 PM
Can anyone familiar with http://igi-index.de/ give me a hand please ?

I cant seem to find a link for Magdeburg anywhere on the site so that I can browse the name index ?

I don't think Magdeburg is on the IGI. It is in Saxony, which was in the DDR before German re-unification, and relatively few cities from that region are covered by the IGI.

To test this, first select Batchnummern from the blue menu bar. Then sort the list of Batches alphabetically by place name (click the column heading Ort). Select M from the list at the top, scroll through the cities, and Magdeburg is not there :(

To double-check, go back to Batchnummern and now sort alphabetically by Region (click the column heading Region). Select Sachsen from the list of regions at the top, and you'll see just how few cities in Saxony are covered.

Searching for common German names on the IGI itself, the only Magdeburg entries that I can find are patron submissions. :(

Kerrywood

Bulla
24-08-2009, 3:47 PM
I don't think Magdeburg is on the IGI. It is in Saxony, which was in the DDR before German re-unification, and relatively few cities from that region are covered by the IGI.

To test this, first select Batchnummern from the blue menu bar. Then sort the list of Batches alphabetically by place name (click the column heading Ort). Select M from the list at the top, scroll through the cities, and Magdeburg is not there :(

To double-check, go back to Batchnummern and now sort alphabetically by Region (click the column heading Region). Select Sachsen from the list of regions at the top, and you'll see just how few cities in Saxony are covered.

Searching for common German names on the IGI itself, the only Magdeburg entries that I can find are patron submissions. :(

Kerrywood

Thanks for that Kerrywood, looks like the Anglo German FHS is my only option now.

Regards

Bulla
14-10-2009, 9:47 AM
I've just had this email back from an address I emailed can anyone help to translate please ? I've tried Google language tools but it comes out a little strange.

genealogische Forschungen sind gebührenpflichtig. Deshalb müßten Sie Ihre genaue Wohnanschrift angeben.
Aus arbeitsbedingten Gründen kann das Archiv der Kirchenprovinz Sachsen, Magdeburg, keine genealogischen Anfragen bearbeiten.
Wir empfehlen Ihnen, sich an die
Evangelische Kirchenbuchstelle Magdeburg Freiherr - v. - Stein - Str. 47
39108 Magdeburg
zu wenden.

Thanks

Kerrywood
15-10-2009, 12:49 AM
"Genealogical research is a chargeable service, therefore you must provide an exact home address. For administrative reasons the Archiv der Kirchenprovinz Sachsen in Magdeburg is not allowed to deal with genealogical queries. We advise you to apply to

Evangelisch Kirchenbuchstelle Magdeburg [= parish register department]
Freiherr v. Stein Strasse 47
39018 Magdeburg."

Kerrywood

Bulla
15-10-2009, 7:56 AM
Thanks Kerrywood.