PDA

View Full Version : Is Ecton a common name

coenmfam
21-03-2005, 9:35 AM
Have been trying to trace the Coes in Edgefield and have come across a christening for an "Ecton Coe" in 1702. Now I'm not sure he / she is even in my line, but I've never heard the name Ecton before .....
anybody know anything about the name apart from the fact there is a village called Ecton but that is miles away.

Neville

Pam Downes
21-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi Neville,

Based on results from the IGI and the online 1881 census, it's not a very common name either as a first name nor surname. Have a study of the IGI to find out where and when the surname was most common. (I know the IGI is not a complete list of counties and parishes but it can sometimes give you a lead.)
Quite a lot of Coe entries on the Norfolk Transcription site
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
but nary an Ecton as a surname.
Some Edgefield baptisms have been transcribed but none early enough for you, and no marriages because I thought that maybe Ecton had been the mum's or granny's maiden surname.
If you want to pursue this line I think your best course of action would be to trot along to your local LDS FHC
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp
and ask if they can order in the PR film for you to view. They may only have the ATs (as per the online catalogue), but you have to start somewhere <g>.

Pam Downes

Geoffers
21-03-2005, 2:17 PM
Have been trying to trace the Coes in Edgefield and have come across a christening for an "Ecton Coe" in 1702. Now I'm not sure he / she is even in my line, but I've never heard the name Ecton before .....
anybody know anything about the name apart from the fact there is a village called Ecton but that is miles away.NevilleNever heard of Ecton before - Is the source a transcript, or from the parish register/AT? If from the register/AT is this in Secretary hand or the rounded hand which appears in this transition period between Secretary (17th century and earlier) and Italic (common from the mid-18th century). Could you describe the shape of the second letter as I think it may have been mistaken for something else.

Going back a generation, the Michaelmas 1664 Hearth Tax Retruns at TNA, Kew doc. E179/253/45 record Thomas COE as paying tax on 2 hearth.

Odd forenames sometimes derive from surnames, but I cannot find a reference to Ecton as a surname anywhere in the county.

Geoffers

coenmfam
21-03-2005, 11:59 PM
LOL
Actually working from Western Australia, all I really have access to is the LDS website, which has been helpful ,but I have found some serious problems with dates. One I found yesterday was 100 years out - I was going round in circles until I noticed the error.

I now suspect Ecton to really be Edmund, but there is also a Erryz Coe ( b 28 Feb 1691 ) and an Enkey Coe ( b 15 Nov 1685 ) and I suspect they may be copying errors as well.

Oh well, a trap for young players
Thanks for the help
regards
Neville

Fulhamster
22-03-2005, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=coenmfam]Have been trying to trace the Coes in Edgefield and have come across a christening for an "Ecton Coe" in 1702. Now I'm not sure he / she is even in my line, but I've never heard the name Ecton before .....
anybody know anything about the name apart from the fact there is a village called Ecton but that is miles away.

Neville[/QUOTE

Hiya Neville,
Could 'Ecton ' be mistranscribed 'Ector'?
See: http://www.kingarthursknights.com/others/ector.asp

Pam Downes
22-03-2005, 3:22 AM
LOL
Actually working from Western Australia, all I really have access to is the LDS website,

Neville,
81 Seymour Street Albany will provide you with access to parish registers, census returns, parish chest, taxation, poor law, manorial court rolls, for many places not just in Norfolk, but throughout England.

Pam Downes

coenmfam
22-03-2005, 6:59 AM
Thanks Pam - will check that out for sure

Neville

Geoffers
22-03-2005, 7:57 AM
Actually working from Western Australia, all I really have access to is the LDS website, which has been helpful ,but I have found some serious problems with dates. One I found yesterday was 100 years out - I was going round in circles until I noticed the error.
The IGI is a useful guide, but as has been discussed on other threads, it is far better to access original records (The IGI misses detail, member submitted information is frequently nothing more than fiction, etc, etc) - in your case this would have to be either by purchasing copies on fiches via the NRO, or at one of the mormon church (LDS) record centres - I think Pam has posted an address of one of them.

Prior to going into the original parish registers, it would be helpful if you could familiarize yourself with the letter forms of the period. Around 1700 they are usually mostly similar to modern day, though some letters are in the style of Secretary Hand. Going back into the 17th century, the lettering can be more problematic and is likely at some point to include Latin. There are online guides to different forms of handwriting. If you get stuck, either post a message on the forums, or contact me direct (click on my name and you'll get options which include private messaging and e-mail).

Geoffers

coenmfam
22-03-2005, 8:34 AM
Excellent excellent
Thankyou all very much
help much appreciated

Hmm I'm noticed that about info from the IGI on the LDS search website Geoffers, As I said before - one date was 100 years out, but I have frequently come across dates up to 5 - 6 years out

Neville