PDA

View Full Version : Jean Roy

dianenbabe
04-08-2009, 3:04 AM
Hello, Thank you for assisting me. i am looking for the name of parents and siblings of Jean Roy born St Malo France in 1648. He then landed at Acadia Canada in 1671 and married Marie Aubois about 1683. He might of sailed with a family of Amand Lalloue,ecuyer sieur Derivedu, age 58 And wife Ellesabet Nicoilas age 40

v.wells
05-08-2009, 3:07 AM
Hello, Thank you for assisting me. i am looking for the name of parents and siblings of Jean Roy born St Malo France in 1648. He then landed at Acadia Canada in 1671 and married Marie Aubois about 1683. He might of sailed with a family of Amand Lalloue,ecuyer sieur Derivedu, age 58 And wife Ellesabet Nicoilas age 40

Moderators - I think this is supposed to have it's own thread.

Procat
05-08-2009, 7:17 AM
Thanks Vanessa,

Posts moved to own thread.

pottoka
05-08-2009, 9:15 PM
Thanks Vanessa,

Posts moved to own thread.

Thanks, Procat http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Love/love-053.gif (http://freesmileyface.net); I intended to contact one of you (the mods), but while I was dithering about who to write to, Vanessa did the necessary!
Thank you also, Vanessa. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Love/hug-035.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Love-Smileys.html)

v.wells
05-08-2009, 9:58 PM
Pottoka - watch those smileys - it looks like you're rubbing Doug's bald head|laugh1||laugh1|

And you're welcome :D

pottoka
05-08-2009, 9:59 PM
I am looking for the name of parents and siblings of Jean Roy born St Malo France in 1648. He then landed at Acadia Canada in 1671 and married Marie Aubois about 1683.

Can you say how you can be so definite about the year of his birth?

You found the thread about William Wallace, born in Le Havre; the date was give or take a year, but his parents' names were known, and also he was British, so his name would stand out somewhat. Requesting that a volunteer look for him at the Archives départementales was not asking a lot - the proof was that she found him, and his siblings, quickly and easily.

On the other hand, asking a volunteer to look for a Jean Roy in St Malo with nothing else to go on seems a bit much. Jean is the commonest of names; I don't know about Roy as a surname in that area, but there might well be several people of the same name. I haven't been able to find statistics further back than 1700, but there were already 1,000 inhabitants in St Malo then.

I will ask the volunteers if they can do anything but the Archives are closed now for a fortnight, so if you can come up with any more information, please let me know.

pottoka
05-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Pottoka - watch those smileys - it looks like you're rubbing Doug's bald head|laugh1||laugh1|

And you're welcome :D

Just giving it a nice shine so that he stands out - he deserves to! |laugh1|

Procat
06-08-2009, 9:06 AM
Just giving it a nice shine so that he stands out - he deserves to! |laugh1|

Made me laugh as well. :D

dianenbabe
10-08-2009, 9:16 AM
Hello, I have been trying to get more info On Jean Roy. All I no is he has a dit name. dit Laliberte. He arrived at acadia from France in 1671. Probably on the l.Oranger. The first census was taken by father Cordelier Molin which was ordered by Grandfontaine. I have been trying to go though the books on Acadian
decendents to see if I can find source to Jean Roy of St. Malo France, But they are Written in French and will take me some time to figure it out. Bona Arsenault, In his book, I believe is were the Family Roy tree was first to have been found. As far as links in France, Bona Arsenault must have it listed, I am afraid I am going to have to find some one here that can read french in order to get the references from his book. I no Historians and Genealogist list where they found their info. That area was Fought over by France and England Back and Fourth I am been trying to brake up a timeline because I do no several census are out there but Which country holds them is a different story. I have no clue. And I do no that other boats came over at that time but So far the only one I have a name of is L,Oranger. This is probably not much help towards finding Jean's parents and siblings Thank you

dianenbabe
10-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I forgot to mention, LOranger Sailed from La Rochelle, France. That was in 1671.

pottoka
11-08-2009, 10:35 PM
On this site, http://inventairenf.cieq.ulaval.ca/inventaire/home.do of which the aim is to record all the French people who lived in New France and colonised North America in whatever way, there is this entry:

Roy (Leroy), Jean (?-?) Né vers 1633 à Marans, paroisse Saint-Etienne. Il y épouse Françoise Bouet en 1659 et s'engage la même année à La Rochelle. Il s'embarque sur le navire le Saint-André avec sa femme. Il décède à Lachine en 1676. (Fournier, Marcel, 2001; Raguy, Fabien, 1997; Cournoyer, Jean, 2001)

Roy (Leroy) Jean (?-?) Born about 1633 in the parish of St Stephen in Marans. He married Françoise Bouet there in 1659 and signed up the same year at La Rochelle. He and his wife embarked on the ship Saint-André. He died in Lachine in 1676. (references)

Marans is in the Charente Maritime département, of which La Rochelle is the main town.

AdeleE
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Diane,
Would you have heard back from the Centre D'Etudes Acadiennes at the University of Moncton in New Brunswick, as we discussed in this post

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48664

Their Dictionnaire is one of the best resources for Acadian genealogy, and I get the feeling that if their researchers don't know the answer, then it's not for lack of scholarly digging.

Adele

pottoka
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Diane, I have found a message on the Internet about a family reunion for ROY descendants, with a lecture about "the ancestor Jean LeRoy dit Laliberté"; I am sending you a PM about it. http://bestsmileys.com/mail/19.gif

pottoka
12-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I have found a Census taken on November 8th 1671, but can't see Jean Roy on it. You can consult it here: http://philippe.caillebeau.free.fr/recensement.htm
With a whole page of further Censuses, I get 'unable to find the page required' for each one I tried.

On here: http://naviresnouvellefrance.com/html/pages16701671.htm right at the bottom, n° 846, there is mention of a ship called Sagesse, leaving Bordeaux on 9th May 1671. One of the sailors is Jean Le Roy, a Breton. However, the ship foundered off Nantes and was replaced by the Plume d'Or which left Nantes for Québec on 13th July. Maybe he jumped ship?

The problem with the Oranger is that the passeger list is no longer extant.

dianenbabe
14-08-2009, 9:02 PM
I have been researching the ships records on Jean Roy. There is no telling if its him. its the right year, but it says Quebec I must go to the Library tomorrow and see if I can pick out the reference that was used in the research. I did send to someone who worked on the Roy line and they did not bother looking further because It was a combination of Acadian folks and Arcadia. This person told me that it is really not enough to go on. Do you no if there are actual records of the enlisted men themself I mean, when they signed up for the military. I no its a long way back into the 1600 and the paper trail gets harder to find but since its military maybe there is some out there. And or maybe the outfit name. I notice they do not have a Name given to each group. Anyways I have spent time in there and found ways to get into different site I have not been in before. And I want to thank you for the info.

pottoka
15-08-2009, 11:18 PM
If there are still records of enlisted men, they will be in the Archives Départementales, so it will be another question for the volunteers when the A.D. open again, and they can start research again.

laliberte
29-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi,

A few precisions on Jean LeRoy dit Laliberté:

His birth date is not precisely known. 3 census give a range of about 8 years...

Marie his wife was a native (likely Micmac) but Aubois was misinterpreted for her last name. It was just meant to indicate "from the wood". I explain in details in the Roy Family association bulletin famillesroy.org. That bulletin is publish 4 times a year but currently the articles are only in French.

His arrival time in Acadia is also not precisely known. We can suppose it's after 1670 (when the French got Acadia back) and before Sept. 1683 when he got his fishing boat stolen by James Taylor of Boston.

A very probable explanation for his arrival is that he could have been a soldier. His "dit" name supports that possibility. We have to note as well that soldiers were not enumarated in Census. It is documented that soldiers were willing to stay in Acadia after their mandatory 3 year contract.

Should someone find THE proof of that... the descendants will be very reconnaissant! It may be somewhere in France.

BTW, I am one of the researcher that presented at Petit Rocher during the Congres Mondial Acadien. We will very likely repeat this (and add an English presentation) in 5 years, at the next CMA.

Best Regards,
Martin Roy

dianenbabe
30-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello, I am so pleased to hear from you. I do no about The Congres Mondial Acadien, it came on the News. I am along the border of Canada in Van Buren, Maine. Right now I have been checking source on Ships. I did copy Bona,s References he used for his books. Some where they found Jean Roy, that is the source I am really looking for. Bona did alot of research and has used alot of sources. His books along with others are here at our local library. BUT IN FRENCH. I sit there and try to make out each word. I speak it but I do not read it. The Sources at the library was donated by a Family of a Historian and Genealogist who past away. Lots of good sources. The library is entering her info online. That would be Birth, Marriages and Baptisim. There will be many Acadian Names. But it will take some time. I will go to the site you left me Thanks again for your Reply. One question, What is her Name.

laliberte
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,

Did you know that the next CMA will be in your area? We are already starting to prepare the Roy gathering. A visit to Van Buren will likely be part of it as we'll want to see the Acadian Village and it's Roy house (http://www.connectmaine.com/acadianvillage/roy.html).

Bona Arseneault is not always a good source. He liked to extrapolate...

As for Jean's wife, her first name was Marie but she has no "official" last name. Let me explain:
1) When someone is baptized (Marie had to be since she got married), the priest gives you a first name, not a last name.
2) In the census, Marie is not listed with any last name contrary to any other wife on those census.
3) Aubois or Dubois does not make sens for an Indian last name. This was only written by the priest to indicate she came from the woods (bois being french for wood).

So yes, "Aubois" and "Dubois" was misinterpreted for her last name. People even tried to link Marie to an Aubois (from Montreal) that lived in Cap Sable in those time. He was French, not indian and couldn't have been her father (or brother,...).

The erronous last name will likely live a long time... helas.

Best regards,

Martin

dianenbabe
04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello, So nice to hear from you. I started searching 3 years ago for my father. He wanted to no about his family. There are 2 generations of Orphins. Dad is now 82 so I decided to find out for him. Now I am hooked I can all most picture how there lives must of been they do not feel like strangers, but like family. I did hit a site http://racinesrochelaises.free.fr/cat_engages.html that I am looking into every nook and cranie There is a Jean Roy and he is listed as 20 and would of been born in 1645 Found him in the Conditions d'Engagement sur Le Cat de Hollande _ 1665. But its the write up on him that Made me interested in this one and that is --- Il est difficile de trouver la trace de jean Roy, tant ceux-ci sont nombreux. On peut croire qu'il est le Jean Roy 20 ans, domestique engage, recense a Monral en 1666, aux cotes de Nicolas Villeneau. On les restrouve, l'annee suivante, au sevice de Jeanne Mance. Ensuite, il es Impossible de retrouve serieusement Jean Roy ariginaire d'Aytre. I can only make out some of it. I all so no he is in a book called Les Bretons en Amerique du Nord As Jean Roy dit LeLiberte I got that info from another source but I have not gotten my hands on it. As far as Marie is concerned I do no she must have a Father that came over from France much eailier and I did wonder how they came up with the name. Because I figured it was not her mothers because it a french name Dubois. And I was wonder why if she had her fathers name there was not genealogy on him. You have probably seen the info from the above site. They do have a link you the Roys site. Thanks again. So nice to be in touch with another Roy.

dianenbabe
04-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I am wondering how we might be connected Is your line on the net

laliberte
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi,

The Jean Roy on the Cat de Holland is not the same as Jean dit Laliberté. Same for the info about being a domestic in Montreal. This is NOT our ancestor.

Marie was, as far as we can tell, 100% indian. No french father... as per my explanation about the "Aubois" "Dubois" wrongly taken for a last name.

I do not have my genealogy yet online but I suspect we're tied by one of Benoit's son. Here's my line starting at my grand-father:

Martin - Ulysse - Alfred - Calixte - Cyrille - Joseph - Francis - François - Benoit - François - Jean

Regards,

Martin

dianenbabe
04-09-2009, 2:44 AM
Thanks but his wife is Marie Aubois {Aubois is what folks are using, her real last name is unknown. This is correct, that I do have plus the children. But I am working hard on searching the ships that came to Canada before 1671. There are many Jean Roy, but it still does not give me a lead to finding his family and siblings. Would you no what Le sieur Le Vallon, marchand a Quebec means. Thanks

dianenbabe
04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks I can stop digging. This is my line Jean &Marie Francois &M Bergeron, Benoit &E Bourg, Charles & H Martin, John Bts & H ouelette, Desire & Sophie Moreau {Both died same Day} Isaie {died at 45} &Dina Lebel, Edmond & Cecil Then my father. Yup were way back there, Have to go Have a smell of skunk coming thru window, Must run out of here THanks

laliberte
05-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi,

Jean most likely arrived in Acadia between 1670 and Sept 1683. Before that Acadia was in the hands of the English and there was no French immigration then.

As mentionned, Jean was likely a soldier. So this is the main area to research. From Grandfontaine's arrival with his soldiers (in 1670) to Sept 1683 (when we know Jean was shoremaster near Halifax). Since soldiers were normally hired for 3 years and then encouraged to stay in Acadia we can suppose that about 3 waves of soldiers made it to Acadia in those years. It's those waves of soldiers that need to be found. As far as I know, it is not in the Canadian archives. Maybe a search in the military/marine archives in France could lead to the answer.

Le sieur Le Vallon, marchand a Quebec: Sir Le Vallon (his name or title), merchant in Quebec. This relates to the Jean Roy that was on the Cat of Holland. This is a wrong lead to follow. That Jean is said to be from Aytré, more than 400km from St-Malo, where our Jean dit Laliberté is said to be.

Regards,
Martin

dianenbabe
06-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi, Good info you just gave me. I have been given a few sites from the folks here This is one you might be interested in. I did check it out but could not match a Jean Roy. That is very hard to do with little info. This was Pottoka that posted this one {

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this site, http://inventairenf.cieq.ulaval.ca/inventaire/home.do of which the aim is to record all the French people who lived in New France and colonised North America in whatever way, there is this entry: And this site On here: http://naviresnouvellefrance.com/html/pages16701671.htm right at the bottom, n° 846, there is mention of a ship called Sagesse, leaving Bordeaux on 9th May 1671. One of the sailors is Jean Le Roy, a Breton. However, the ship foundered off Nantes and was replaced by the Plume d'Or which left Nantes for Québec on 13th July. Maybe he jumped ship?

This one is from AdeleE Diane,
Would you have heard back from the Centre D'Etudes Acadiennes at the University of Moncton in New Brunswick, as we discussed in this post

http://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=48664

Their Dictionnaire is one of the best resources for Acadian genealogy, and I get the feeling that if their researchers don't know the answer, then it's not for lack of scholarly digging.
There are a few more you would have to go find my post. Which can be found I believe on the upper right conner I have another source I took from a book at the Library. But have to go for now. Will get back to you. The folks here a very helpful. Best regards