PDA

View Full Version : Albert James Butler Lace Manufacturer

macca234
28-07-2009, 7:12 PM
I have found my family in 1911 census living in Sneinton Boulevard.
Wife Ada
Son Arthur James (my gf)
Son Robert Claude
Daughter Edith

He is now a manufacturer of Lace and in the phone book of 1926 he is listed as such at 16 Commerce Square in Nottingham.

Can anybody tell me if this is a specific Lace Making company that Albert worked for at this address?

I believe this address is now an architects offices, but I would like to know if Albert would be mentioned in any publications or if I can find out who he worked for.

Many thanks
Macca

Keyboard86
28-07-2009, 7:46 PM
Macca do what I do Google his name/Nottingham/lace.
It can throw up new links possibly.
Basic but can get results!
Regards
Keyboard86

hughar
28-07-2009, 9:25 PM
Check the Nottingham Directories at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

I looked in Wright's 1910/11 directory of Nottingham and found three entries for him.
(1) in the Street section on page 157 at 21 Sneinton Boulevard.
(2) in the Alphabetical section on page 237 at 17 Broad St, and home 21 Sneinton Blvd.
(3) in the Classified section on page 482 under Lace Manufacturers at 17 Broad St.

Looks as if he had his own firm.

macca234
29-07-2009, 8:16 AM
I found the directory by going to the site you gave me, but I could not seem to put the right info in to get the results you did.

I found I just went though the street one and just carried on until I found Sneinton Blvd as I could not find him on Page 157 but on page 187, I guess that was just a typo.

How on earth do you search? I have read through the how to use this site, but do you put in his name? Lace Manufacture? I am getting either thousands on a number but cannot see any of them, or error?

Perhaps I just need some time to see how it is supposed to work and I must really be doing work myself - for my employer and must go now, but any easy navigation on this site would be great.

thanks
Macca

hughar
29-07-2009, 11:02 AM
From the Home page select "Find by Location"

To right of map, select Nottinghamshire from drop-down list and click on "Find Directories"

From the table, choose directory (Wright's Nottingham 1910/11) and click on "Directory" at right.

In Search box (above "Zoom in" enter "Butler Albert" (without quotes) and click on Search

Above the Search box it now tells you "Total hits for this search 7" (but that includes front and back pages?)

Select "Next hit" to get p 157

Select "Next hit" to get p 237

etc (keep going until you reach the back page).

Page 157 definitely right in directory I looked at. Guess you must have selected a different directory from the list.