PDA

View Full Version : AFFIDAVIT

DaveinInskip
23-05-2009, 8:57 PM
Hello Scribes,hope we are all well and itching to give me info on "affidavit"

Samples
2 Apr 1681 Willm Keene of Hawkshead Affidavit Cicily Mackereth Margaret Nicholson
7 Apr 1681 John Braithwaite of Sawrey infra Aff Margaret Rigg Margaret Braithwt
9 Apr 1681 Elizabeth Jackson of Skellwith Aff Margaret Braithwt Eliz. Jackson
15 Apr 1681 Robert Scale of Satterthwaite Aff Sarah Pennington Eliz Hyrdson

Affidavit,was it something like a death cert,so that the church could safely plant him or her,and why were there two witnesses names,did these persons named have to attend the burial,did they see the corpse breathe its last,or were they only referred to on the Affidavit.

The use of this system started Apr 1681 and appears to finish Mar 1683

I await your replies with interest,
bye for now

Dave in Inskip:cool:

Jan1954
23-05-2009, 9:08 PM
They were confirming that the body had been buried in wool.

During 1666 - 1680, the Burial in Woollen Acts required that the dead should be buried in shrouds of pure wool and an affidavit had to be sworn in front of a Justice of the Peace confirming this. There was a penalty of 5 if any other material was used.

The church incumbent would then write the word affidavit, or note A or Aff against the relevant entry in the Parish Register. So the names recorded are those who swore the affidavit.

The law stayed in force until 1814 but was not adhered to much after 1770.

Have a read of what wikipedia has to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burying_in_Woollen_Acts

:D

DaveinInskip
23-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Jan,that wraps it up very nicely,as they might have said!

A veritable fountain of knowledge

I reckon the sheep must have been cold in Cumberland.

Thanks again,bye for now,

Dave in Inskip ;)

DaveinInskip
23-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Many thanks Finbar,that sounds like good excuse for a pint,

Dave in Inskip|cheers|

Colin Moretti
24-05-2009, 8:08 AM
Hello Dave

have a look at this post (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=151363&highlight=colin#post151363)

Colin

Peter Goodey
24-05-2009, 8:25 AM
There was no particular shame in breaking the law and refusing to be buried in wool.

It is said that the locals often looked askance at a well-to-do family who buried one of their number in wool. The point being that the fine went in the poor box and therefore eventually benefited poorer parishioners.

DaveinInskip
25-05-2009, 5:13 PM
My thanks to Peter Goodey and Colin Moretti,very interesting to follow the link.