PDA

View Full Version : Italian Birth Certificates

Tederator
12-05-2009, 3:17 AM
Can anybody please tell me how I can obtain an Italian Birth Certificate without actually having to go to Italy. My Great Great Grandfather Charles Benzoni was born in Como Italy 1809 and I would really like to obtain his birth certificate. There have been so many Benzonis out of Como over the years its hard to find which is the right one. I would also like to find out how he arrived in London from Italy and was married (in London) in 1832 at the age of 23 years, I guess I will never know the answer to that.

Colin Moretti
12-05-2009, 8:21 AM
The Anglo-Italian FHS has advice on research in Italy (http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/articles/) on it's website. There's already a member who is interested in the BENZONI surname.

There were no birth certificates produced in Italy in 1809, like the UK, you will need to go to parish registers for the information.
I would also like to find out how he arrived in London from ItalyHe probably walked to the nearest channel port, many Italians did, and also walked back to Italy every year :eek: to help with the harvest.

Colin

Sue Mackay
12-05-2009, 8:38 AM
There's already a member who is interested in the BENZONI surname.

I am willing to stand corrected but I think that might be Tederator :). Putting Benzoni in the Search box reveals several former posts by Tederator but I can't see any by anyone else.

Tederator
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
My apologies for not putting my name at the end of my original post. I was a member on the AIFHS for a year but I have let it slide for now. I do have several past posts on B-G regarding the Benzoni family. Thank you for the advice.

Colin Moretti
Quote:
I would also like to find out how he arrived in London from Italy
He probably walked to the nearest channel port, many Italians did, and also walked back to Italy every year :eek: to help with the harvest.

Colin

You mean to say that he could have walked right across France to a channel port and back again, that is quite a long way and would have taken ages to get there and back. the Napoleonic wars were going on about then (I think) how would he have got around them?

Thanks again for the help, all the best,

Ted (Tederator)

Colin Moretti
12-05-2009, 6:11 PM
... You mean to say that he could have walked right across France to a channel port and back again, that is quite a long way and would have taken ages to get there and back. the Napoleonic wars were going on about then (I think) how would he have got around them?

Thanks again for the help, all the best,

Ted (Tederator)The Napoleonic wars ended in 1815 (Waterloo, 18 June). Normally reliable sources have told me that yes, they did walk but that's not to say that they didn't hitch a lift on a passing friendly farmer's cart.

Colin

Colin Moretti
12-05-2009, 6:29 PM
Italian church registers - I think that Ancestry have images of some of the Como parishes, if you have the right subscription - I've seen some somewhere in the past and that's the most likley place; I certainly don't have a link recorded so it wasn't a free site.

Colin

Tederator
13-05-2009, 1:37 AM
Italian church registers - I think that Ancestry have images of some of the Como parishes, if you have the right subscription - I've seen some somewhere in the past and that's the most likley place; I certainly don't have a link recorded so it wasn't a free site.

Colin

Thank you Colin, I do have a subscription to the site mentioned, that is where I saw all the Benzoni names and couldn't work out who was who, I haven't a subscription to that particular area now. The Benzoni surname must have been as common In Como as Smith is in the UK.
Thank you for your help.
Ted.