PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Census for Central Cardiff Missing

Sue Mackay
05-05-2009, 9:48 PM
Have just come back from the Cardiff Branch meeting of Glamorgan FHS. If you are eagerly awaiting the launch of the 1911 census for Wales and your ancestors came from Cardiff, apparently the schedules for Central Cardiff are missing and won't be appearing. Cardiff Central Library do have burgess rolls and street directories for this period.

Keewatin
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh no- I've been promising my kids they will see their paternal grandfather's family, just before grandpa was born.

Can you tell me please if the "jewel streets" are in Central Cardiff as it's Ruby St where I'm expecting to find them. I don't know Cardiff at all

I shall go and buy some beer to cry in if it is so
Thanks
PS What is a Burgess Roll?

Sue Mackay
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
They were saying tonight that they didn't really know exactly what was meant by Central Cardiff. The jewel streets are in Splott, so fingers crossed. Have you got a photo of Ruby Street? If not I can take one for you.

Burgess rolls are basically voters' lists

Keewatin
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you, Sue.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I won't take to crying in my beer just yet

Thank you for the picture offer too. I have a really clear one as google streetview was down Ruby St. The houses look like the original ones (except for the paint jobs). I wish my own ancestors had lived in houses that still exist.
K

Sue Mackay
06-05-2009, 6:42 AM
Thank you for the picture offer too. I have a really clear one as google streetview was down Ruby St. The houses look like the original ones (except for the paint jobs). I wish my own ancestors had lived in houses that still exist.
K

Funnily enough I thought to myself just after I had shut down the computer last night that |doh| Cardiff is on Street View!