PDA

View Full Version : SEALES of Downham Market

Dorothy
25-02-2005, 8:32 PM
Most of the large family of William SEALES b. Runcton Holme 1839 left Norfolk to find work in the North East of England. One of their sons , Matthew , returned from South Shields to farming in Norfolk after his first wife died . I'd love to find out what happened to him. On one family sheet it said he remarried and died in Necton.

Geoffers
25-02-2005, 9:04 PM
Most of the large family of William SEALES b. Runcton Holme 1839 left Norfolk to find work in the North East of England. One of their sons , Matthew , returned from South Shields to farming in Norfolk after his first wife died . I'd love to find out what happened to him. On one family sheet it said he remarried and died in Necton.
Do you know when Matthew may have returned to Norfolk? Have you tried the 1901 census to see if he was there then? http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

If he was a farmer, it may be worthwhile checiknig some of the online directories available at:
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp
to see if you can narrow down when he was living around Necton

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Dorothy
27-02-2005, 1:19 AM
Thanks , Geoffers I went back to my folders and found that he'd lived to a good old age like other SEALES but couldn't find him on the 1901 census.

Geoffers
27-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Geoffers I went back to my folders and found that he'd lived to a good old age like other SEALES but couldn't find him on the 1901 census.
How old was Mat(t)hew SEAL(E)S in 1901? could he have been in the army in South Africa?

The 1901 census has two possible matches, the first seems most likely:

Matthew SEALS, aged 16, bn and living in South Shields and working as a butcher

Matthew SEALS, aged 44 was born Downham Market and living in South Shields, working as a butcher. (possibly a brother of William?)

Geoffers

Dorothy
28-02-2005, 3:39 AM
Thanks , Geoffers. So he was still in South Shields in 1901 but he did die in 1938 so he went back later than 1901 obviously! The SEALES surname does have many variables :-)

Geoffers
28-02-2005, 9:14 AM
Thanks , Geoffers. So he was still in South Shields in 1901 but he did die in 1938 so he went back later than 1901 obviously! The SEALES surname does have many variables :-)
I had a quick look at Kelly's 1933 Directory, couldn't see a reference to the name in either Nection, or Downham Market.

Geoffers

Dorothy
02-03-2005, 2:35 AM
Thanks for your help anyway, Geoffers:-)

Dorothy