PDA

View Full Version : prussia

lyndy
08-04-2009, 7:14 PM
i know my gt gran leah harris was born 1848 had a brother called julis and they came from poznon i have found them in newcastle in 1871 leah now married to moses morris is there any way to trace her in poznan

Browneyes
08-04-2009, 8:37 PM
There's some genealogy information on polishroots.org. It looks as if you might have to write to them. Try putting Poznan in the search box

Jan1954
08-04-2009, 9:09 PM
Posen/Poznan are one and the same place. Owing to the political unpheavals, it was in Prussia at one time and then in Poland, then back to Prussia and, after WW1, back to Poland.

As Browneyes has suggested, visit the polishroots.org website - there is a full explanation on there of the Partition of Poland, as well as suggestions as to how to trace your family out there.

Good luck!

David Mann
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
My wife's family on her father's side also came from Posen and also ended up in Newcastle in the mid 1800s. Can anyone explain why the affinity with Newcastle?
David

Kerrywood
08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
i know my gt gran leah harris was born 1848 had a brother called julis and they came from poznon i have found them in newcastle in 1871 leah now married to moses morris is there any way to trace her in poznan

In addition to Polish Roots, I think JRI-Poland (http://www.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/) will be of use to you. It looks complicated but it's worth taking a little time to read all the introductory material and FAQs before starting to search.

Kerrywood

Kerrywood
08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
My wife's family on her father's side also came from Posen and also ended up in Newcastle in the mid 1800s. Can anyone explain why the affinity with Newcastle?
David

Newcastle, in common with other east-coast ports, was one of the standard ports of arrival for immigrant shipping from northern Europe. Those who aimed to get to the USA could book a through-passage, which included a train ticket to a west-coast port such as Liverpool, and then a sea-passage to the USA. Others who preferred Newcastle stayed there ;)

Have a look at Moving Here (http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/histories/jewish/journeys/journeys.htm) for some general background.

Kerrywood

lyndy
09-04-2009, 10:05 AM
If they came from Poznen where would they depart from to get to england?

Kerrywood
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Very likely Hamburg or Bremen. Do look at the link I posted above, which explains this ;)

The Journey to England
Most of those leaving Russia in the late 19th century travelled to Hamburg, Bremen, Rotterdam, Amsterdam or Antwerp. They crossed into Austria - Hungary or Germany, travelled to the nearest railway station and then journeyed across Europe by train to a North Sea port.

The term Russia as used above would also cover the parts of Russian Poland that came into the Pale of Settlement. If you're searching the web by the way, the correct modern-day spelling is Poznán.

Kerrywood