PDA

View Full Version : Verrechia/Russia

seasickken
06-04-2009, 8:51 PM
Anybody got any ideas about this one,
Antonio Verrechia on the 1911 census is living in Croydon, Father is Pasquale, Mother is Maria, all the family (11) are either born in Italy or England apart from him.
It says he was born in Russia, D.O.B must've been about 1894 but why Russia?
We think it may have been Riga which was in Russia at that time also it's not very far from Italy.
Why would Italian people be going to Russia though? Was it a stop off for a Ship?

Help needed Ken

Browneyes
06-04-2009, 9:33 PM
Hmm. Interesting. :cool:

If no-one has posted an answer by tomorrow I'll see what was going on in Russia/Italy around 1894. My first thought was perhaps he was adopted but that still leaves unanswered questions. No idea if it's relevant but there were anti-semitic issues under Alexander III.

AdeleE
06-04-2009, 9:57 PM
1901 UK census

Bennords Verrindin, head, widowed, 66, organ grinder, born Italy
Paquale Verrindin, son, married, 36, ditto, born Italy
Maria Verrindin, dau in law, married, 25, ditto, born Italy
Antonio Verrindin, grandson, 6, born Italy
Dominio Verrindin, grandson, 5, born Italy
Antonia Verrindin, granddaughter, 1, born Italy

4 Wilford Road, Croyden, Surrey
Class: RG13; Piece: 643; Folio: 174; Page: 29.

Perhaps on 1911 the enumerator was interpreting towns of birth & replacing them with countries on the census sheet?

Adele

Barnzzz
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know this helps but there used to be ice cream vendors here called Verrechia and they were definately Italian.
Sue

Astoria
07-04-2009, 9:55 AM
This is a useful site - provided by Colin Moretti

http://www.
gens.info/italia/en/surnames

Thomasin
07-04-2009, 10:38 AM
As well as the 'Verrindin' family found by AdeleE in 1901, there is also a Gaidan Verrechia, married, aged 30, born in 'Italy F S', visiting another house of Italian organ grinders at 1 Princess Road, Croydon (RG13; 643; 193; 67).

Thomasin

Thomasin
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
In case this is of any use, there were still four Verrachias/Verrechias living at different addresses in Croydon in 1937, according to Ward's Croydon Directory.

Thomasin

seasickken
07-04-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the info, Adele are you sure it says verrindin?
The reason I ask is, on the 1911 census this is how it reads..

Pasquale Verrechia 46 head of household
Maria Verrechia 39 Wife
Antonio Verrechia 17 Son
Dominico Verrechia 15 Son
Antonia Verrechia 12 Daughter
Other children are on aswell but they where not born in 1901, however Pasquale's Father is on.
Bennardo Verrechia 75 Living with the head of household, all born in Italy (Cardito we think, N/East of Rome) apart from Antonio who is down as born in Russia.
If you knock 10 years of the ages of the above, it matches up with ages on the 1901 census, depending on when birthdays fell.
Address 17 Wilford road Croydon.
My Wife's Grandfather was Antonio, however I have put the magnifying glass on the names and the surname is spelt Verrecchia, somewhere along the years a C has gone missing, my wife and all her cousins are not aware of that YET.
VERRECCHIA'S ice cream was in Brislington near Bath, We lived in Bath for a while.
I await any replys eagerly.
Cheers all Ken

AdeleE
07-04-2009, 9:42 PM
Hi Everyone,
Adele are you sure it says verrindin?

I'm not sure what it says, as the letters in the enumerator's script are not well defined, so I left the surname as Anc* had indexed it, I think.

Adele

Browneyes
07-04-2009, 10:40 PM
There's a record on Ellis Island (ellisisland.org) that gives:

Antonio Verrechia. Ethnicity: Italy. Last Place of Residence: (blank)
Date of Arrival: Mar 14, 1896
Age at Arrival: 1m
Ship of Travel: Fulda
Port of Departure: Naples
Ship was called 'Fulda'

The text version of the ship's manifest gives:
Verrechia, Giamb. M 38y M Italy
Verrechia, Florinda F 35y M Italy
Verrechia, Antonio M 1m S Italy
Verrechia, Alessandro M 42y M Italy

I did try to find them on the original image but it means looking through every page and I kept accidentally clicking 'back to original page' which meant I had to start all over again as you have to click through each page! Sorry I gave up then.

Wonder if this is your Antonio?

Browneyes
07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Also, while I was searching I came across some other Verrechia people so just in case the information is useful to you in any way I'll pm it to you.

Browneyes
07-04-2009, 11:04 PM
:D Wasn't going to let it beat me! pp 141 in case you need to know.

Verrechia, Giamb. M 38y M Italy (column blank)
Verrechia, Florinda F 35y M Italy WIFE
Verrechia, Antonio M 1m S Italy CHILD
Verrechia, Alessandro M 42y M Italy PEASANT

Only Giamb. had (one piece of) luggage

PS If you search the surname on the site you'll find 34 people with that surname. Have fun! :D

Astoria
08-04-2009, 8:29 AM
Using Colin's useful cognome tool and typing in Verrecchia, double R double C, the main hit is in an area of southern Lazio called Frosinone. Frosinone borders Campania, the capital being Naples. Cardito is a commune in the province of Naples.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://cardito.asmenet.it/&ei=k1vcSc_sI-a6jAeqvPChDg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522cardito%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Many icecream makers from this region settled in Ancoats (little Italy) Manchester. This site may help, there is a message board and Verrecchia appears in a surname search.

http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/

Also plenty of Verrecchias also with one C on this document page 4

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.pomeroy/local/icecream.pdf

As for the Russia bit I would ignore it for the moment, one of mine is listed as foreign born Wales. Hope this helps. |wave|

Astoria
08-04-2009, 9:15 AM
Forgot to add - You could join the Anglo - Italian FHS

seasickken
08-04-2009, 9:33 PM
Dear Pals,
Can't post anything at the moment as Liverpool just got beat by Chelsea, truly speaking, we got battered.
Best wishes a gutted Ken.

Browneyes
08-04-2009, 9:35 PM
|banghead||nopity||5cups|

seasickken
09-04-2009, 1:09 PM
Bennardo Verrechia DOB 1835 and Pasquale Verrechia DOB 1866, living in a lodging house in Birmingham, both musicians.
1881 census (family search.org) How would I go about finding when they both got married? They married in Italy probably Cardito.
Thanks for all the info everyone has given me, your'e all very kind.

Ken|help|

Browneyes
09-04-2009, 1:25 PM
If you search on IGI for the household of Joseph CAMPODONICO you'll find Bernardo VERRECHIA Lodger, married aged 46, birthplace Cardto (F), Italy Musician and Pasquale VERRECHIA, Lodger 'U' (is that unmarried?) 15, birthplace Cardto (F), Italy Musician. Resident at 122 Bordesley St, Birmingham, Warwick, England on the 1881 census. It's interesting that there are 20 musicians living there...

Astoria
09-04-2009, 1:50 PM
They would accompany the ice cream carts as they plied their wares, hence the musical ice cream vans of today.

Thomasin
09-04-2009, 2:07 PM
I hope they didn't mangle 'Greensleeves'.

Thomasin

seasickken
10-04-2009, 9:49 AM
Hi All,
Rumour now has it that Pasquale married Maria (Franchitto) in Riga.
Riga is in Latvia, which was then in Russia, however if you think about it, it would have been a hell of a trip to get there from Italy.
FINBAR I think your'e right and it is Riga in Italy as the Verrecchia name originates from that area, or north of it anyway.
Verrecchie is in fact a village near the town of Cappadocia, in the province of L'Aquila(recent earthquake.)
I'm going down this route now,
Cheers all Ken:D

Browneyes
10-04-2009, 9:51 AM
Wishing you luck with your searching. It's great you have information to work from. Pop back if you get stuck again. Thanks Ken, it's been very interesting.

seasickken
12-04-2009, 7:24 AM
I think I'm back to square one again.
Another verrechia cousin has said that it is widely regarded that Antonio was born in Russia, and that Pasquale and Maria got married there?
Nobody has any written evidence apart from the 1911 census, would I be right in thinking that the 1911 census was actually filled in by the head of household? This being the case Pasquale was the Head and he has written Antonio born in russia.
Any copies of 1891 and 1901 census for Verrechia's in Croydon would be most welcome if possible.
Ken

Browneyes
12-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm wondering if Antonio was born in Russia but registered elsewhere. For example there is an Antonio Verrechia on A...y born in 1894 registered in Southampton. There are various links you could look at on genealogylinks.net/europe/russia/index.html. and also feefhs.org/links/russia.html

Thomasin
12-04-2009, 1:29 PM
Any copies of 1891 and 1901 census for Verrechia's in Croydon would be most welcome if possible.

1891 - entered as VERRECTIA

VERRECTIA Bernard Lodger husband 56 Ice Cream Seller Italy
VERRECTIA Maria Lodgers wife 55 Ice Cream Seller Italy
VERRECTIA Preppino(a) Lodgers daughter 15 Ice Cream Seller Italy
VERRECTIA Floria Lodgers daughter 11 Ice Cream Seller Italy

The rest of the household (Dellafera) are street musicians.

11 Overtons Yard, Croydon
Ref: RG12 586 136 12

Thomasin

seasickken
12-04-2009, 5:36 PM
I got a copy of the southampton birth certificate over a year ago, the parents are not the same though and I've been mooching about trying various things since

Debbiedebs
14-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi ive recently been informed the verrecchias left cardito as a large travelling group on foot. My first record is of mary fedela verrecchia getting married in 1894 in Bradford she then moved to Huddersfield. Apparently the verrecchias arrived in London italian quarters some settled in croydon and our branch moved to Bradford. Fedela said she came with just her father giacomo because her mother got frostbite in Russia so she returned to Italy with the younger children. The Verrecchias were in Bradford on the 1891 census but giacomo and fedela werent. So presume they arrived to live with cousins between 1892 and 1894.