PDA

View Full Version : Searching for roots in Germany/Poland

imogen
19-03-2009, 6:29 PM
Hello....could anyone give me any tips, please ?

According to the 1851 census, my ggg grandather was born in Germany (this would also include parts of present day Poland) He must have come to Britain some time between 1786 & 1821 (he was born 1786/8 & his first child was born in Britain in 1821) From the surrounding circumstances, it seems likely that he was Jewish, although this is not 100% certain.

I've approached the synagogue in the city where he settled & they're going to get back to me if they can help....although, if he was Jewish, it looks as though he dropped his religion pretty quickly.

It seems a mammoth task to try & find out where he came from, but I'd be grateful for any tips

Marie C..
19-03-2009, 7:35 PM
If you scroll down almost to the bottom of this page on the right hand side you will see, in blue, "contact us", something else which I have forgotten, and "archives". If you click on archives it will take you to a long list of previous posts and one is entitled "Jewish Roots" . Click this and you will see lots of helpful info. It is amazing how people have managed to track far back and the seemingly impossible becomes possible.
Good Luck.
Marie

imogen
19-03-2009, 7:39 PM
Thanks very much, Marie