PDA

View Full Version : 19th C Occupations - Mechanic

petedady
19-02-2005, 2:06 PM
Does anyone have an idea what a "mechanic" in Norwich in 1857 might have mechanicked? Looms, or shoe-making equipment? According to my research, my gg grandfather had many occupations during his life - he wasn't a lifelong mechanic. He was born in Hellesdon but spent his adult life in Norwich.

On his marriage certificate of 1845 Henry Dady is listed as a gunsmith. In the Census of 1851 he is a confectioner. On one child's 1851 baptism record he is listed as a baker. On another's in 1853 he is a porter. On a third record in 1855 he is a "glovecloth manufacturer". On another in 1857 he is a "mechanic". In the Census of 1861 and on a daughter's 1862 baptism record he is a carter. On a son's 1871 marriage record and in the Census of that year Henry is a "cloth weaver". A Henry Dady had a pub license for the "Queen Victoria" in St. Stephen in 1874, and possibly to 1886 when the next licensee was listed, according to NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/2 ( 1867 - 1925 ) YOUNGS & Co. "Harrod & Co.'s Royal County Directory of Norfolk and Lowestoft" lists Henry Dady as proprietor of the Queen Victoria, Queen Street, Crooks Place, in 1877. Henry lived his adult life in St. Stephen Parish and no other Henry Dadys appear anywhere in Norwich in the censuses of 1871 or 1881 (by 1881 his son Henry Daniel lived in London). In the Census of 1881 Henry Sr. is 62 and listed as a general labourer, so he may no longer have had the pub license.
What does this pattern of employment say to you?
Thanks.
Pete Dady

Geoffers
20-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Does anyone have an idea what a "mechanic" in Norwich in 1857 might have mechanicked? On his marriage certificate of 1845 Henry Dady is listed as a gunsmith......in 1855 he is a "glovecloth manufacturer".....in 1857 he is a "mechanic"......On a son's 1871 marriage record and in the Census of that year Henry is a "cloth weaver".What does this pattern of employment say to you?
He could have been a mechanic in one of many industries, without further information, any suggestion would be pure guesswork. It's certainly a strange mix of jobs, are you sure it is all one person? Seems strange going from skilled work of a gunsmith to another skil of baking.

Working with guns would need a knwledge of using tools. Glovecloth and weaving may hint at working with some form of loom - but as I mentioned that is pure guesswork.

What does the pattern say to me? - Either it is more than one person, or it is one person who was willing to turn his hand to whatever was available to earn a living.

Geoffers