PDA

View Full Version : Translation from German to English please.

Jade26
05-03-2009, 9:02 PM
I would really appreciate it if someone could translate the following passage for me. Apparently it relates to where my great, great, Uncle Schedlich is buried somewhere in Saxon Switzerland. I have tried to translate as much of it as possible by myself, but am not sure if I have it right. It seems to me that the second paragraph reads –

“In the graveyard of this lovely church erected in 1786, lie two of Saxon Switzerland’s well-respected men: Pastor Nicolai von Lohmen and the first landlord of the Bastei, Judge Schedlich from Rathen.”

Liebethaler Grund, schöne Höhe.

Von Pirna fährt man mit der Verbindungs-Bahn Pirna Kamenz nach Lohmen einen weitgestreckten, sehr alten Dorfe and der Wesenitz, mit 1747 Einw., bekannt als Ausgangspunkt für den Besuch des Liebethaler Grundes.

Auf dem Freidhofe der im Jahre 1786 erbauten schönen Kirche ruhen zwei um die Sachsische Schweitz wohlverdiente Männer: Pastor Nicolai von Lohmen und der erste Begründe, des Bastei-wirtshauses, der Richter Schedlich aus Rathen.

Many thanks for any help |hug| - Trish

Davran
05-03-2009, 9:22 PM
That looks about right to me.

The first paragraph gives directions:

From Pirna you take the connecting Pirna Kamenz train to Lohmen, a very old, wide-spread village and Wesenitz, with 1747 inhabitants, well-known as the starting point for visitors to the Liebethal area.

Or words more or less to that effect!

Astoria
05-03-2009, 9:28 PM
Can't add anything, though weitgestreckten can also mean extensive, rather than wide spread.

Browneyes
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Using an online translater...

Liebethaler reason, beautiful height. From Pirna one drives with the Verbindungs-Bahn Pirna Kamenz to Lohmen a far-stretched, very old Dorfe and of the Wesenitz, with 1747 Einw., well-known as starting point for the visit of the Liebethaler of reason. On the Freidhofe in the year 1786 of the built beautiful church two men well-deserved around the Sachsi Schweitz rest: Minister Nicolai of Lohmen and first justifies, the phloem egg pub, the judge Schedlich from Rathen.

Well! What can I say? :D

Ladkyis
06-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Where would we be without the phloem egg pub?

Jade26
06-03-2009, 1:13 AM
That looks about right to me.

The first paragraph gives directions:

From Pirna you take the connecting Pirna Kamenz train to Lohmen, a very old, wide-spread village and Wesenitz, with 1747 inhabitants, well-known as the starting point for visitors to the Liebethal area.

Or words more or less to that effect!

Thank you so much Davran. |jumphappy Now I have a starting point for some further research in Germany which has been a brick wall up until now. And I am pleased that my first effort at translating a bit of German looks about right! Trish.

Mary Anne
06-03-2009, 1:16 AM
the phloem egg pub?

Boggles the mind, really, doesn't it?! ;)

Jade26
06-03-2009, 1:20 AM
Can't add anything, though weitgestreckten can also mean extensive, rather than wide spread.

Thank you too Astoria. I think I'll just stick with "widespread" rather than "extensive" as my rear end can also be described as "weitgestreckten." :D

Trish

Jade26
06-03-2009, 1:35 AM
Using an online translater...

Liebethaler reason, beautiful height. From Pirna one drives with the Verbindungs-Bahn Pirna Kamenz to Lohmen a far-stretched, very old Dorfe and of the Wesenitz, with 1747 Einw., well-known as starting point for the visit of the Liebethaler of reason. On the Freidhofe in the year 1786 of the built beautiful church two men well-deserved around the Sachsi Schweitz rest: Minister Nicolai of Lohmen and first justifies, the phloem egg pub, the judge Schedlich from Rathen.

Well! What can I say? :D

|laugh1| Browneyes - Well...what can I say too? (Apart from thank you for your help). On line translations can be so funny at times, this one conjures up visions of the staid old judge sitting in his pub judging "Freid" phloem eggs! I love it. Trish.

Jade26
06-03-2009, 1:50 AM
Where would we be without the phloem egg pub?

Don't know where the rest of you would be but I'd probably still be doing my busy daughter's ironing instead of sitting here cackling about phloem egg pubs!

This is what I like so much about BG forums, so many people willing to help and a good laugh thrown in as a bonus. Not only that I can't believe how quickly people respond, I posted my message about 8am Aussie time and by noon had all these wonderful replies. |bowdown| Trish.

Browneyes
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Glad you got the answers you needed Trish.

By the way, I can confirm :D that "in vascular plants, phloem is the living tissue that carries organic nutrients (known as photosynthate), particularly sucrose, a sugar, to all parts of the plant where needed" so I reckon in this case it's a Judge who's partial to sugary eggnogs! ;)