PDA

View Full Version : My Italian Aunt

Browneyes
27-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Can someone suggest where I might start looking to find out details about an Italian lady - She left Italy - I don't know her birth place - possibly sometime between the 1940s/1050s. I know where she was living in Gloucestershire between 1968 to 1976 - I found her in the phone directories (it was wonderful matching up the phone number with the one in an inherited address book!) and believe after that she probably returned to Italy. Logically, she was probably born between around 1930 ish - she was at least ten years younger than her husband who was born in 1918 - and I know who their children were but I don't know where they are and seriously suspect they might not want to make contact anyway.

Through her details I hope to find out about her husband (my uncle) who was in the RAF. I've looked for their marriage but without luck - maybe because it didn't take place in this country.

I feel as if I'm walking on ice with this one.

Browneyes

Mutley
27-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Hello Browneyes,
Would you like a moderator to move this request to the Europe Forum?
I wonder if Italian in the title would bring you more response.

We do have some members that have knowledge in that area.

Browneyes
28-02-2009, 12:00 AM
If you think that would be better then yes please. I ummed and ahhhed where to put it. |oopsredfa

Browneyes

Mutley
28-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok, it is on it's way to Europe,
Let's hope someone catches it.
If not we can always bring it back to Family History General again. :)

Colin Moretti
28-02-2009, 9:16 AM
Did her husband make a will with any clues? Other than that, to find any Italian birth records you need to know the place of birth, there are no centrally-held national records as there are in the UK. Was she naturalised?

She's unlikely to feature in any passenger lists
Arrivals, 1878-1960
Board of Trade Passenger Lists, Inwards (BT 26 ), 1878 to 1888 and 1890 to 1960, contain the names of people arriving in the United Kingdom from places outside Europe and not within the Mediterranean Sea, unless the vessels sailed originally from outside Europe.
TNA Research Guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=106)

If you know her maiden name then try entering it in the Cognome box to get the surname distribution (http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/). If she retained her married name it might be worth trying Italian telephone books (http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/links/#itaddrs)

Good luck, I think that you'll need it

Colin

samgibbons56
28-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Can someone suggest where I might start looking to find out details about an Italian lady - She left Italy - I don't know her birth place - possibly sometime between the 1940s/1050s. I know where she was living in Gloucestershire between 1968 to 1976 - I found her in the phone directories (it was wonderful matching up the phone number with the one in an inherited address book!) and believe after that she probably returned to Italy. Logically, she was probably born between around 1930 ish - she was at least ten years younger than her husband who was born in 1918 - and I know who their children were but I don't know where they are and seriously suspect they might not want to make contact anyway.

Through her details I hope to find out about her husband (my uncle) who was in the RAF. I've looked for their marriage but without luck - maybe because it didn't take place in this country.

I feel as if I'm walking on ice with this one.

Browneyes
Hi,
My grandfather married an Italian in Khartoum in the 30's (my Nonna of course) and I found the copy of their marriage cert on FMP in the overseas index.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Sam

Browneyes
28-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you Mutley & Colin.

A question. If this lady has died can you suggest if there is somewhere I might start looking for an obituary or cemetery record in Italy? I believe she was/is well loved by her children so it makes sense that somewhere a notice or gravestone/memorial would exist. Presumably if she went back to the area her family came from she'd be buried with other family members.

I'm not sure if she was naturalised. I believe her Italian roots were very important to her. The couple divorced in the 70s or 80s. You might be right about her husband's will but I'm not aware of one (ok, I'll be honest...I don't know yet how to look :o).

Somewhere (it's hiding at the moment!) I have a copy of an illustrated printed children's story booklet she wrote. I think it was a self published and only a few were printed. She ran a children's nursery from their house in Gloucestershire, definately in the 60s, possibly in the 70s but I haven't found anything on that yet.

Browneyes

PS Thanks Sam I'll have a look at that :)

Browneyes
28-02-2009, 7:08 PM
I have just spotted a mistake in my original post! |oopsredfa . Her husband was born in 1914!

In case anyone's interested...
I've now found out what his middle initial stood for - it's his mother's maiden name - which is good and having looked at the actual information I have I really musn't assume she returned to Italy. I think my next step is to go back to the phone directories and double check if someone with her name is listed later than 1976. I've looked on the overseas index but no luck so far. I'm wondering if he met her while he was in Italy with the RAF, possibly at the end or after WWII.

Browneyes

AdeleE
28-02-2009, 7:18 PM
On the UK Incoming Passenger Lists, I see many ships departing Italy, destination England during the 1930s - 1950s.
If you would like to send me your uncle's name (or his Italian wife's name) via PM, I can have a look.
Some lists give exact birthdates of the passengers, plus their intended address in the UK.
Adele

Browneyes
06-03-2009, 2:38 PM
Today I found out this lady was married to someone else before she met my uncle and I have a rough idea of what her first married surname might have been. I also know her family had a leather factory in Garda.

So..:D Pleeeeeease.... |wave| Can anyone suggest:

(a) The region that Garda in Northern Italy comes under;

(b) A really good 'Italian surnames' website;

(c) Any links to searching for families from Garda, Northern Italy?

I would be sooooooo grateful for help with this. :)

Oh and......|hug|Adele :) Thank you for your help.

Browneyes
06-03-2009, 5:37 PM
Apologies...Colin has given me great links for surnames... :)

Astoria
06-03-2009, 5:43 PM
You could join ........Italian FHS

By the way Italian records are fantastic, they love paperwork :) Many records can be ordered through the LDS church and viewed at one of their Family History Centres. However a trip to Lake Garda might be in order.

Browneyes
06-03-2009, 5:49 PM
Many thanks Astoria. Good idea!

Astoria
06-03-2009, 5:51 PM
What? The trip to Lake Garda ;)

Browneyes
06-03-2009, 5:54 PM
If only... |sad1|

Browneyes
11-04-2009, 4:32 PM
I found the book today and inside was an old newspaper clipping that gives me a few details to work with. |jumphappy

Thanks to everyone for your help.