PDA

View Full Version : Family photo and more.

Hugh Thompson
26-02-2009, 10:14 PM
It's been the best week of my searches so far, first I receive a large wedding photo of my mother's parents taken in 1900 at Lewisham with 40!!! members of both sides of the family in it.|jumphappy
Then a family tree of one side of the same family back to the mid 1600's researched by my great aunt Elizabeth who did Mediaeval studies.|bowdown|
Then Michaelpipe gave me the web address for the "Monumental Inscriptions of St Mary's Church, East Farleigh" and nearly all of the people on the same family tree are buried there. |hug|

Jan1954
26-02-2009, 10:16 PM
|jumphappy

That's great, Hugh - sometimes all your Christmases come along in one go like that. Keep on digging! :D

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice one Hugh!
Typically I get the occasional half-remembered snippet from my mother about someone who was called Fred, or maybe it was Bill or something like that - the one who married Edna or Edith somebody....

I did have a lucky find last summer when looking for an ancestor in a graveyard. Although I never found the chap I was after, I did find his son and daughter in law - which was a real highlight!

Mark

Hugh Thompson
26-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks Jan and Mark, now all I have to do is put names to forty faces.:confused: could take a while :D but I might have some help coming for that (I hope).
So far this month I have received another photo of the same groom (my grandfather) in the picture I mentioned when he was baptized in 1874 in Cornwall sitting on his father's knee, photo was taken by W J Trevaskis Photographer Helston, so I've gone from not knowing what my Great grand parents looked like to having a photo of the whole family, Woo Woo!!:D:D

MarkJ
26-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Lucky blighter ;)

Sounds like you will be working on those forty for a while though!

Mark :)

Mutley
27-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Congratulations Hugh, how fantastic.

Maybe you should post the family name or you might be inundated with hopefuls. ;)
My uncle, auntie, brother, neighbour's wife's sister's friend was married in Lewisham in 1900 are they in your photo? |laugh1|

BTW, my family lived just down the road from Lewisham,
I wonder ........ :)

Hugh Thompson
27-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks Mutley, you're right so just to satisfy a few hopefulls out there,:D here goes. The photo is of the wedding of Frank Ley,born 1874 Stoke Newington, parents Francis Stephens Ley of Crowan Cornwall, and Eliza Jane Ley nee Webster, also of Crowan, and the bride is Beatrice Emily Kennard, Born 1875 Lewisham. parents Richard Kennard and Emily Kennard nee Cocking both of Lee Lewisham.
Will that do?
Hugh.

Mutley
27-02-2009, 1:41 PM
Wonderful ;)

Sadly though, not mine |sad1|

v.wells
27-02-2009, 3:51 PM
It's been the best week of my searches so far, first I receive a large wedding photo of my mother's parents taken in 1900 at Lewisham with 40!!! members of both sides of the family in it.|jumphappy
Then a family tree of one side of the same family back to the mid 1600's researched by my great aunt Elizabeth who did Mediaeval studies.|bowdown|
Then Michaelpipe gave me the web address for the "Monumental Inscriptions of St Mary's Church, East Farleigh" and nearly all of the people on the same family tree are buried there. |hug|

That's terrific Hugh!|woohoo| I am so green with envy that you were so successful. Rewards, when they come, make us all work a little bit harder in our neverending search for ancestors. I am so pleased for you!

Hugh Thompson
27-02-2009, 8:44 PM
Thanks Vanessa, I'm slowly getting a good photo album together, this photo is by far the best I have, I've just found out that one of my cousins in England "might" have a copy that has most of the 40 names on it (anticipation|biggrin|).
I've found that every time I share the photos with all my new found cousins wherever they are they return the favour. I plan on sending the 200 + photos to ever family member I'm in contact with when I'm done.
After all what use is a family photo if no one else in the family has it.
Hugh.:)

Oates
27-02-2009, 9:20 PM
Congratulations Hugh! :D That's fantastic. I suppose between the Medieval tree and the photograph, perhaps grave hunting too, that'll keep you busy for a while.

Nice one Hugh!
Typically I get the occasional half-remembered snippet from my mother about someone who was called Fred, or maybe it was Bill or something like that - the one who married Edna or Edith somebody....

I did have a lucky find last summer when looking for an ancestor in a graveyard. Although I never found the chap I was after, I did find his son and daughter in law - which was a real highlight!

Mark

I tend to get little anecdotes about my grandmother's various relatives and their descendents everytime I see her. Quite a lot of scandals and such amongst the descendents actually. Had a lot of new photos from her and my great aunt lately too.

I've never had any luck in graveyards whatsoever. Today wasn't great. I received the first death certificate I've ever ordered today. It was a bit of a stab in the dark though which turned out to be wrong - also my first wrong certificate. I was hoping for a wife who died pre 1841, but this one is a baby belonging to a couple I've never heard of (hopefully related to the ones I'm looking at though I doubt it). I did get 4 correct certificates (all marriages), though I was hoping they'd say something a bit more interesting - almost all farmers.

susan-y
27-02-2009, 10:14 PM
|woohoo||woohoo||woohoo|

3x great news Hugh!! I bet you don't want to stop to eat or sleep when you are on such a lucky streak!

Sue

Hugh Thompson
27-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Oates, I'm busy enough already thank you very much!!!,:D I'm very glad that I don't have to pay for every email I have to reply to from all the new found rellies around the world. Keep digging Oates the rewards are worth it.
Hi Sue, if only I could have the same good fortune with my Scottish forbears|5cups| it would be a very good week!!!|biggrin|