PDA

View Full Version : German/Polish research

Vossy
31-01-2009, 7:12 PM
Hello

My great grandfather was August Albert Franz Voss born in Barwalde Pommen, Germany on 5/11/1859. He appears on the 1881 census in London, he married Maria LANZ in the German Lutheran Church in Alie Street, London in 1886. He became a naturalised British Subject in 1912. He hadhis own tailor business in Chamber Street.
I believe that the place he was born is now in Poland and is called MIESSZKOWICE.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get hold of any records from there. Will they still be in Germany or will they be held in Poland? I used to be a member of the Anglo German FHS but didn't get very far.

Vossy

Nicolina
31-01-2009, 10:41 PM
there is always the possibility that the records do not exist any longer. So much was destroyed during the wars. If the place is in Poland then that should be the place to search.

Ann Dee
31-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I looked at lds.org and found the following reference, so you should be able to order the film via your local Latter Day Saints).

Topic
Germany, Preußen, Pommern, Bärwalde - Civil registration

Titles
Zivilstandsregister, 1874-1883 / Bärwalde (Pommern). Standesamt
(Civil Register)

Ann Dee
31-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I looked at lds.org and found the following:

Topic Germany, Preußen, Pommern, Bärwalde - Church records
Titles Kirchenbuchduplikat, 1834-1928 Evangelische Kirche Bärwalde (Kr. Neustettin)

You should be able to order the film via your nearest Latter Day Saints centre.

Good luck.

Ann

Ann Dee
31-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I realised that the undermentioned was the wrong date for you, so I looked again! See my second posting. Ann.

I looked at lds.org and found the following reference, so you should be able to order the film via your local Latter Day Saints).

Topic
Germany, Preußen, Pommern, Bärwalde - Civil registration

Titles
Zivilstandsregister, 1874-1883 / Bärwalde (Pommern). Standesamt
(Civil Register)

Procat
31-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Vossy,

I have moved this thread from Surnames to Europe Genealogy as it may attract more interest there.