PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence!!?? I'm gobsmacked....

SearchingSadler
28-01-2009, 9:31 AM
So..........been tracing mums family (the Lanes) with a lot of help from folks on here.

Because I was struggling finding them on the 1861 census someone helped me find it and it was a transcription error.

However, once going into the original census to check this, I stumbled upon something.....

Living 5 doors away from my MUMS gt gt grandad in 1861, is my DADS gt gt grandma!!

Now we are all now from Nottingham and this Thos W Lane and wife were born in Lincolnshire, and Ann Outram, then Sadler, then Gibson was from Ordsall in Nottinghamshire, and they pop up 5 doors away from each other 150yrs ago!!

Coincidence?

SearchingSadler
28-01-2009, 9:32 AM
they lived next door to each other in Newark btw :D

Procat
28-01-2009, 9:51 AM
Cue spooky music???

SearchingSadler
28-01-2009, 10:10 AM
do do do do do do do do (sorry, the tune doesn't quite come across lol)

susan-y
28-01-2009, 3:28 PM
Hi SearchingSadler...

Something similar happened to me yesterday.... do-dod-do-do-do-

For about 3 or 4 years I have had an email buddy ( someone I met through one of my searches, but ended up not being related to ). She found out her mother's family and my grandmother's family lived in the same housing block in London in the late 1800's...Our grandparents may have played together ( if children ever had time to play, then). Now, here she is in England and I'm in Canada and technology has connected the link again!

do-do-do-do-do-

Sue

Sue Mackay
28-01-2009, 3:57 PM
Cue spooky music???

Was about to type an answer when I had a Deja Vue moment. See my post 10 (entitled Cue Spooky Music!) in this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877)!

raineshoe
28-01-2009, 9:35 PM
Excellent when you spot that.

I had it once on a census and now check the whole page just in case.:D

Nicolina
29-01-2009, 12:15 AM
My paternal Great Grandmother's family come from a village, outside York, and nearly everybody in the village is connected to them through marriage. So instead of searching for each family seperately I just downloaded all the images for the village and went through them at my leisure. Sure made things easier.
More recently, after finally finding my elusive maternal Grandmother and then her parents and siblings, I discovered that they had lived less than 10 miles away from where my other Grandma's family had lived. At one time they even lived in the same place.
It sure is a small world

Treehugger
29-01-2009, 6:40 AM
Totally agree with the above posts - iI have learnt the hard way that it's always useful to check the other entries in the census pages, particularly the birth locations which may highlight a female relative who has married someone of another surname but is still living next to Mum & Dad...........

benny1982
29-01-2009, 1:56 PM
Hi

This is a coincidence as my nan and grandad are not related in any way. Both were born in Essex but their family trees can contain some Oxfordshire ancestors 100 miles from Essex. My grandad's great gran was living a few streets away from my nan's 9 year old grandfather and his parents in the 1861 census in Oxford City. Spooky.

Sarah Brain, an ancestor of my grandad never knew the Edgingtons, who are ancestors of my nan but both were living in each others midsts in 1861 in Oxford.

Ben

Oates
02-02-2009, 1:19 PM
One of my grandparents' parents were both born in Manchester but married in the town we live now in Yorkshire. Going back a generation, it turns out that their parents both also married in that same town, despite having their children in Lancashire. Of these two sets of great great grandparents, in both couples, one person was from said town whilst the other was from another country. Strange parallel. Perhaps my great grandparents bonded over their similar heritages. :p