PDA

View Full Version : South Leith Address - What does this say?

Aislin
14-01-2009, 2:26 PM
This is taken from marriage registry circa 1864 for the District of South Leith, County of Edinburgh.

I see 40 Albert St. Port .....something

and 5...something Buildings Port....something

Any guesses what this might say?

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr182/ayslin1/SouthLeithAddress.jpg

Marie C..
14-01-2009, 2:44 PM
5 Burnside Buildings Port Dundas.
Port Dundas on both entries. M

Aislin
14-01-2009, 2:49 PM
Port Dundas is in Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Lesley Robertson
14-01-2009, 3:09 PM
Port Dundas is in Glasgow or Edinburgh?

I've never heard of one in Edinburgh - it's the home of White Horse whisky in Glasgow. From the hits in google images, it looks pretty industrial, even in the 19th century.
I've noticed that quite a few couples from my Berwickshire One Place Study got married in Edinburgh - not always for obvious reasons.
Lesley

Marie C..
14-01-2009, 3:12 PM
South Leith is Edinburgh(Midlothian).
I got quite familiar with the area when someone on here was searching for Robertsons or Robnsons? some little time ago.

Aislin
14-01-2009, 3:21 PM
Then I'm wondering why they would marry in South Leith, Edinburgh if they both lived in Glasgow. Very strange.

I found nothing that even resembles Port anything in Edinburgh and I definitely see Port Dundas on the Glasgow map.

Her parents were both from Edinburgh. Maybe the parents were unable to travel.

Lesley Robertson
14-01-2009, 3:29 PM
Then I'm wondering why they would marry in South Leith, Edinburgh if they both lived in Glasgow. Very strange.

I found nothing that even resembles Port anything in Edinburgh and I definitely see Port Dundas on the Glasgow map.

Her parents were both from Edinburgh. Maybe the parents were unable to travel.

As I said, I've found people from my study area getting married in Edinburgh without any obvious connection to the city. Maybe, if she'd grown up in Edinburgh, she wanted family and friends around. People sometimes chose a particular Minister - especially if that Minister had been around long enough to have baptised one of them.
Maybe there was someone they'd have HAD to invite if they'd married in Glasgow.
Lesley

Browneyes
14-01-2009, 3:40 PM
I can't tell you the answer but thought you might be interested in this link...

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php

and

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townhistory292.html

Marie C..
14-01-2009, 3:50 PM
Well Browneyes,
It must be Glasgow then.
Is there a South Leith in Glasgow as well as Edinburgh ?
Maybe it is just Dundas in Edinburgh and Port Dundas in Glasgow.
I stand corrected.
Since Aislin has the details on a copy of cert or something she will know exactly where it is anyway.M

Aislin
14-01-2009, 3:52 PM
That is extremely interesting Browneyes, especially the buildings on Burnside (sort of slummy looking, but I can guarantee I don't come from royalty).

Thank you for those links. I'll have to take a wander through the images.

Aislin
14-01-2009, 3:55 PM
Well Browneyes,
It must be Glasgow then.
I stand corrected.
Since Aislin has the details on a copy of cert or something she will know exactly where it is anyway.M

Not at all Marie C. I have no idea. Hence my question. I found nothing in the Edinburgh area that even remotely resembled the word "Port", so I was terribly confused. I see an Albert Street in Edinburgh, but not in an area call Port anything. I'm open to any and all suggestions here.

Lesley Robertson
14-01-2009, 3:57 PM
Well Browneyes,
It must be Glasgow then.
I stand corrected.

It's simpler than that - the column in the photo, next to the ages of the bride & groom, is where they give their current address. Aislin says in message one that the certificate was issued in South Leith, County of Edinburgh.
They lived in Port Dundas, Glasgow, and married in South Leith, Edinburgh.

Lesley

Marie C..
14-01-2009, 4:04 PM
I guess that is the importance of being able to view the entry in it's entirety .M

Aislin
14-01-2009, 4:13 PM
I thought of that. But the width of the form made the text too squinty and hard to read.