PDA

View Full Version : Thynne/Thomas

Sarah103
09-02-2005, 4:19 PM
I wonder can anyone help me. Frederick Thynne was my ggggrandfather, he was born in Westminster in 1810 and married Margaret Thomas(my ggggrandmother-born 1809 in Brentford) in 1833. I am trying to find out about their parents and ancestors, and I'm not sure where to look as the record books only start in 1837. I got this much info from a Kingston, Surrey website as that is where they moved to sometime after they married. If anyone can help-thanks!

Elly
10-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Before 1837, you will have to trace them through parish registers. If you haven't done this before, this is a good site for guidance
http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/index.htm

To check the marriage, you will need to look at the registers of St George Hanover Square, which have not been filmed by LDS but are held at Westminster Archives

There are also Harleian transcripts of the St George Han Sq marriages available on CD. Someone on the London forum might have access to them.

You could also check St George Han Sq for Frederick's baptism, since this is in Westminster, though there are other possible Westminster churches too. Look at the Genuki pages for general information about which churches were open in 1809-10

For Margaret's baptism, Brentford might be easier, since there are fewer churches. You could start with St Laurence New Brentford -- registers at the London Metropolitan Archives

Both Westminster and LMA have a research service, if you can't get there yourself.

You might be able to find out more about this couple from the 1851 census, but first you would need to know roughly where they were, since the surname indexing for 1851 is by area and there is no consolidated index. Since they were in Kingston in 1861, you could try there for 1851 (though they are not on the LifeCycles database for that year), or Brentford, which is close by.

Good hunting
Elly