PDA

View Full Version : Marriage of Thomas Hallamto Elizabeth about 1

revdfg
03-12-2008, 9:24 AM
I am interested in the Hallam families of Ruddington.

Anne Hallam 1787, Mary Hallam, 1793, Thomas Hallam 1799 and Hannah Hallam 1811 all baptised in Ruddington have parents Thomas Hallam and Elizabeth.

I need help to pin down the date and place of birth of the father Thomas Hallam - I guess in the 1760s - and the place and date of birth of Elizabeth and her maiden name.

I have found no appropriate marriage in Ruddington and wonder if the following marriage in nearby Bunny might give clues:
THOMAS HALLAM married ELIZABETH BUTTREY in Bunny
IGI gives two dates for this marriage: 20 JAN 1785 or 26 JAN 1784

Can any kind soul help me to identify the correct Thomas Hallam and Elizabeth?

David Gutteridge - a Ruddington lad

Peter Goodey
03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I think you will find it informative to read through the old posts on this site containing advice about all the many pitfalls associated with the IGI and in particular how to weed out and ignore patron submissions.

The extracted, and probably reliable, entry shows the 26 Jan 1784.

This is of course just an index entry. You need to examine the actual parish register entry for any other useful information. A 1784 marriage register entry would normally include the marital status of the participants and, importantly, their home parishes. The names of the witnesses can also be very helpful.

janbooth
03-12-2008, 3:04 PM
Phillimore's Marriage Index of Bunny shows the marriage of Thomas HALLAM & Elizabeth BUTTREY as being on 20 January 1785, no further details given.

Janet