PDA

View Full Version : Oxfordshire Shelley and Meadows

Pimpernel
03-02-2005, 5:33 PM
I've traced my family to Chipping Norton, where they were one of two Shelley households there in the latter part of the 19th Century. My great grandfather was Albert Shelley. The 1881 census says he was born in Langham, Oxfordshire in 1859, although I can't find any reference to the Shelley family there. His marriage certificate (to Annie Meadows of Draycott) states his father's name as William, but there the trail ends.

I'm looking for any information on Shelley's in Oxfordshire around that time. Specifically I want to trace the elusive William, but also I'd like to find a connection to the other Shelley household in Chipping Norton, I'm convinced there must be a link somewhere as Shelley is not a common name in the county.

Also anything on the Meadows family greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

sandiep
03-02-2005, 9:14 PM
Hi
Albert Shelley 1871 census
William Shelley head widower age 39 a carter born Berks Langford
Albert Shelley son age 13 a labourer born berks Langford
Shadrack Shelley son age 10 born Gloster Wormshill???
Matilda Shelley Daugt age 6 Scholar born Gloster Bampton
William Shelley son age 3 BornGloster cirenseter
They appear to be living in Chipping Norton cant read road properley looks like ****down farm

in the 1891 Albert has married
still living in Chipping Norton at 245 Barford Road
Albert Shelley Head age 33 town Carter born Glous Langford
Annie j Shelley wife age 30 born Glous Draycott
may l shelley daug age 13 scholar born oxon chipping norton
william age 10
matilda age 9
henry age 7
maud e age 4
albert age 1 all born chipping norton

Albert was obviousley born Langford but either Glous, oxon or berks all close take your pick

I will see if I can find a birth

sandie

Geoffers
03-02-2005, 11:00 PM
They appear to be living in Chipping Norton cant read road properley looks like ****down farm
Could this be Chadlington Downs Farm, it's off the (A361) Burford Road, just south of Chippy.

in the 1891 Albert has married
still living in Chipping Norton at 245 Barford Road
That should be Burford Road

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

sandiep
04-02-2005, 12:07 AM
doesnt look like chadlington not enough letters could be meis--not sure.

you are right about road it is Burford should know been up it before.. my excuse is we have a Barford road leading from Bloxham where I live.
sandie

Geoffers
04-02-2005, 9:39 AM
doesnt look like chadlington not enough letters could be meis--not sure.
The only other farm with down in its name is Primsdown Farm off Worcester Road (going west out of Chippy) - only farm I can think of beginning with 'M' is Meads Farm off Churchill Road (heading south)

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

sandiep
04-02-2005, 6:59 PM
think you could be right geoff primsdown have sent you email with image see what you think

sandie

Pimpernel
18-03-2005, 5:07 PM
I seem to be having problems getting my posts to this Forum appearing, but as my last post doesn't appear to show, I'd like to reiterate my warmest thanks to everyone for responding to my question!

John

Pimpernel
19-03-2005, 3:19 PM
Once again I'd like to extend my warmest thanks to you all, especially Sandie for the extensive and fascinating information provided. I've just been able to check the 1871 census online which confirms that the Shelleys of Chipping Norton are all one family, and that William and eldest son Albert were from Langford Berkshire.

My father tells me that the family were traditionally very close to horses, which ties in with the Carter job description. I've checked Langford Berkshire/Oxfordshire for more Shelleys, but haven't any luck so far. If William was indeed born in the 1830's what would be the best way to continue tracing the family prior to that time I wonder. As I live in the Far East myself I'm pretty well limited to the Internet at the moment.

Thanks very much

John

sandiep
20-03-2005, 4:58 PM
I noticed on the 1871 william was a widower there was a marriage in chipping norton in 1871 maybe william remarried. havent found any birth yet but will look at 1837 later have a few credits left sandie

Name: SHELLEY, William
Record Type: Marriages
Quarter: June
Year: 1871
District: Chipping Norton
County: Gloucestershire Oxfordshire Warwickshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 1072 (click to

sandiep
20-03-2005, 4:59 PM
silly me the birth would be before 1837 sorry grey cells gone to sleep sandie

Pimpernel
21-03-2005, 5:37 AM
Thanks Sandie. William's second wife was Jane Shelley. There were two marriages in Chippy in June 1871, one of which was William Shelley. Both brides names were Jane, however the biographical details seem to match Jane Empson, B.1841 as being the most likely candidate.

I really need to identify William's first wife now. I can't find any reference to her name, or any other details not even her death. As the children were born in various locations in Gloucestershire I suspect she died there before William found his way to Chipping Norton. If I could find a record of their marriage of course I'd have a good pointer towards Williams parents as well, but I'm at a loss where to look.

Is the 1861 census available online perhaps?

John

christopher_n_lewis
21-03-2005, 12:05 PM
If I could find a record of their marriage of course I'd have a good pointer towards Williams parents as well, but I'm at a loss where to look.

Is the 1861 census available online perhaps?

John
Hi John
There are some useful indexes for Gloucester Marriages and the 1861 Census. Unfortunately the 1861 Census index at 1837online.com doesn't cover the area you want, and none of the FreeCen pieces have been uploaded, so you'll have to go with what is available. As starting points, use Google, and GENUKI. I know that Gordon Beavington has transcribed some parishes in this year, but as usual I can't find the right webpages. If you can give me full details of the folk of interest I'll look on the CD version.

There are also useful marriage indexes available, but you may have to ask for a lookup. Try the Glos FHS and GENUKI - areas and dates covered are rather confusing.

Good Luck
Christopher

sandiep
21-03-2005, 9:12 PM
perhaps if you could find birth certificates for children born before 1871 you could find the mothers maiden name from that

sandie

Pimpernel
22-03-2005, 3:31 AM
Thanks! I'll look for birth records as suggested. Actually I've had technical difficulties with 1837online as I can't get their plug in to work which is needed to view their pages. I'll try some of your other suggestions though.

John

Pimpernel
05-04-2005, 1:31 AM
I've had some success since my last posts, I've discovered (thanks to the research of a distant relative) that William Shelley's first wife was Jane Herbert, who died aged 32 on 3rd August 1870 in Radford Infirmary, Oxford. Unfortunately, according to the same distant relative, there are no traces of the family in birth or marriage certificates prior to 1871. Although both William and eldest son Albert were apparently born in Langford, there's no trace of the family there. However I noticed that on the Ordnance Survey 1892 map of Langford the little village has both an "Independant Chapel" and a Methodist Chapel.

I was wondering if the family is so difficult to trace due to religious reasons? If they were Baptists for instance, maybe the general records might not yield much? In that case how should I proceed?

Any advice gratefully recieved!

John

sandiep
22-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Hi John,
just spent an odd hour trying to find your elusive shelleys not a dicky bird except I did find your posts on Ancestry boards, I noticed you thought Shadrack was dead but he is on the 1901 census with his dad William who seems to have been widowed again see a trend here!!!
also saw you mentioned shadrack Frederick his marriage ref is Sept quarter 1908 Chipping Norton vol 3a page 2305 only femALES on sheet were Kathleen Bevercombe and Sarah Ann Browning.
Onthe 1901 Williams daughter Alice & Her husband were there also saw your email address on message board will send copy.
Did try 1837 gro site as I had some credits for Albert & for Matilda but no luck possibly they didnt register any of them only albert around 1858?9 was one in Burton Staffs.
Funny thing didnt think of it till hubby pointed it out his late uncles name was Shelley!
His name was Cliff wife Louie and son Malcolm but they are all Londoners.
small world
sandie

Pimpernel
23-06-2005, 7:05 AM
Many thanks Sandie!

Actually the Shadrack on the 1901 census was born around 1883 in Chipping Norton, so would have been from William's second marriage to Jane Empson. The earlier Shadrack (or Shadrach) was born in 1861 in Harnhill, Gloucestershire, but I've not found any reference for him anywhere in later censuses. As it seems unlikely that two sons (even though only half-brothers) would co-exist with the same name, I presume the former Shadrach didn't survive.

It turns out the family is listed in the 1861 census in Harnhill, Gloucestershire, under the name of Shayler, not Shelley, this could be a misspelling or a name-change, it's not clear yet.

Thankyou so much for everything!

John

christopher_n_lewis
23-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I've had some success since my last posts, I've discovered (thanks to the research of a distant relative) that William Shelley's first wife was Jane Herbert, who died aged 32 on 3rd August 1870 in Radford Infirmary, Oxford.
JohnProbably Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford.
http://www.communigate.co.uk/oxford/theradcliffeinfirmary/

Christopher

sandiep
23-06-2005, 8:32 PM
lots of shaylers as well as shelleys around chippy but still cant find right ones Shadrack was on 1871 will send image.
funny thing on 1871 in chippy workhouse is a year old Arthur George Shelley, perhaps Williams 1st wife had only just died and he couldnt cope, notice on 1881 he has Arther G with him.
I find your family fasinating!!!!

sandie

Geoffers
24-06-2005, 9:15 AM
I've had some success since my last posts, I've discovered (thanks to the research of a distant relative) that William Shelley's first wife was Jane Herbert, who died aged 32 on 3rd August 1870 in Radford Infirmary, Oxford. Unfortunately, according to the same distant relative, there are no traces of the family in birth or marriage certificates prior to 1871. Although both William and eldest son Albert were apparently born in Langford
Looking at the spread of places over the county from Langford up to Chippy, I think it might be worthwhile taking a census (1851, 1861 or 1871) and searching for all SHELLEYs and plotting birthplaces to see how the name is spread. I believe the OFHS sell transcripts/indexes of censuses. Also, I seem to remember reading earlier in teh thread that your family were horse dealers? If so, you should bear in mind the horse fair at Stow-on-the-Wold (Glos) in case they show up there in records.

Geoffers