PDA

View Full Version : Emily Goddard of Lincs. Dom Serv @ Rydal Hall

freddie999
18-11-2008, 12:06 PM
My Grandfather, and my GGF, John Jenkinson, were both born in Rydal. My GGF's father worked as a stonemason in Rydal.In 1887 my GGF married in Rydal to a Lincolnshire girl, Emily Goddard. I can only imagine, that they met as she moved to Rydal for work in Rydal Hall, I cannot find her there in the 1881 census, she seems to have disappeared Any ideas? They moved as a family to Lincoln in 1905.Does anyone have any information on Rydal?

Penny Gallo
18-11-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/lgaz/lk09895.htm tells a bit about Rydal Hall and mentions the le Fleming Family. Are we talking about Emily Goddard aged 8 on the 1861 census for 1 Copper Street, Bucknall, Lincs?

We've been discussing lately Mobility in Victorian times, and being amazed by how far our ancestors did get about. Domestic servants were sometimes recruited by relatives in other parts of the country, and sometimes at agencies in London recommending clean-living, hard-working Christian girls.

salcat
18-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I presume you have John and Emily in 1891 in Egton with Newland, Lancs ref RG12/3475 fol 83 p 3. They have George (3) and Alfred (1), both born Rydal. Emily is shown as born Wispington Lincs. John is a Waller, the ennumerator has added Mason.

I looked in earlier censuses for her and found

Name: Emeily Goodard
[Emily Goddard]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Jessy
Where born: Wispington

Civil Parish: Bucknall
County/Island: Lincolnshire

Registration district: Horncastle
Sub registration district: Wragby
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 38
Household Members:
Name Age
Alfred Goodard 1 Mo
Emeily Goodard 8
Jessy Goodard 30
William Goodard 36

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2365; Folio: 72; Page: 7;

Someone had submitted a name correction to GODDARD. Will go and have a look for a birth reg now. :)

Sally

salcat
18-11-2008, 12:48 PM
They were back in Lincoln by 1901

Name: Emily Jenkinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: John
Where born: Lincoln; Wispington

Civil Parish: St Paul in Bail
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul in Bail
County/Island: Lincolnshire

Registration district: Lincoln
Sub registration district: Lincoln Home
ED, institution, or vessel: 35
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 200
Household Members:
Name Age
Alead Jenkinson 11
Emily Jenkinson 42
George Jenkinson 12
John Jenkinson 40
Mary Jane Jenkinson 6

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3063; Folio: 57; Page: 30.

Her age seems to be a bit fluid :D She is 8 in 1861, 33 in 1891 and 42 in 1901 :) But perhaps she knocked a few years off if she was older that John

Sally

salcat
18-11-2008, 1:17 PM
In 1861, Emily has a baby brother aged 1mth. He is registered in Horncastle dist (covers Wispington) in mar q 1861 under the name Goddard. So I searched for Goddard births in Horncastle between 1850 - 1860 and there are only 2 females

Births Jun 1853
Goddard Sarah Horncastle 7a 470

Births Jun 1855
Goddard Mildred Horncastle 7a 453

So I think it's possible that one of these is Emily, but that she is one of those ancestors who is always known by a second or pet name. I cant see a death for either of these two. Sarah's dob ties up with Emily being 8 in 1861, but as we said before, her age has been flexible :) I'll have a look to see if I can see a Sarah or a Mildred in 1861 or 1871.

Sally

salcat
18-11-2008, 1:31 PM
I've found Mildred age 6 b Horncastle in 1861 with parents Thomas and Mary, and age 16 with Mary, both in Horncastle. So I think you can rule her out as Emily, as her parents were William and Jessy on the 1861.

It might be worth ordering the certificate for Sarah to see if she had a middle name - (you can specify the parents names and there's a lower charge if it doesn't match.)

I'm still looking for Sarah and/or Emily in 1871 and 1881

Sally

Geoffers
18-11-2008, 2:03 PM
My Grandfather, and my GGF, John Jenkinson, were both born in Rydal.In 1887 my GGF married in Rydal to a Lincolnshire girl, Emily Goddard. I can only imagine, that they met as she moved to Rydal for work in Rydal Hall....Does anyone have any information on Rydal?

There's a web-site for Rydal Hall (http://www.rydalhall.org/)with a contact telephone and e-mail address. It migth be worth getting in contact to find out what happened to the employment records kept by the hall from this period?

Searching Access to Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/default.aspx)shows that bundles of some Estate documents are held at Cumbria (Kendal) Record Office (http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/knrec.asp)

salcat
18-11-2008, 3:14 PM
This looks like Emily's parents marriage

Marriages Jun 1860
GODDARD William Horncastle 7a 1037
REEK Jessy Horncastle 7a 1037
REEK Jesy Horncastle 7a 1037

And I have found Jessy in 1871 in Belchford, Lincs with Charles Goddard (age 38, a gardener), Alfred (10) and 3 younger children.

RG10; Piece: 3383; Folio: 68; Page: 5;

I thought it might help to find Emily if I looked for her family, but I think it's just getting more complicated :confused: There is one possible candidate in lincs for a death for William (1865 in Lincoln) and I can't see anything for a second marriage for Jessy. Perhaps they hadn't married and he had taken the Goddard name to be the same as the rest of the family? Who knows??

Sally

freddie999
19-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks Geoffers, I have seen these entries for Rydal hall on the web, it is being used as a Christian conference centre, and a holiday camp.!! I sent an e-mail, they refered me to Kendal Archives, unfortunately, they told me they dont have any thing. Thanks again Craig

freddie999
19-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Sally, You truly are the queen of the census, you have discovered in an evening ,more than I managed in the last year!!! Emily's mother worker in service at the time of her birth and conception, I have seen the actual parish records Her name is recorded as Emily Enderby Reeks, Enderby was the family who's household her mother was working in (the vicar droppeda big clue there, didn't he?). It was after her birth, her mother was married, and Emily adopted William's surname. William. was recorded as 'father' on the marriage certificate. I have Emily's two children, not in the parish register, with the names ofBeatrice and Roseanna. In the 1891 census I found Emily & John's family at Sparks Bridge, and I have the same 1901 record of them in Lincoln you mention. There are loads of William Goddards, I put the name on my tree in friends Reunited and got lots of hot matches!! I have found John's grave. I think I have Emily's death certificate (Lancaster Infirmary), but Emily's husband is likely to have a common name like John!!

I am currently tracing John's treking to and from Portsmouth and India/South Africa in the 2nd\4th regiment. This is hard work!!!!!!

Thanks

again

Craig

salcat
20-11-2008, 9:03 AM
Hi Craig

Not the queen, just lucky sometimes (and I like puzzles!).

I hadn't hoisted in the fact that the marriage was much later that Emily's birth, so of course i couldn't find her birth reg :o So this must be the entry for the registration

Births Mar 1853 (>99%)
REEK Emily Horncastle 7a 485

though you probably have all the same info from the PR.

Still haven't found her in 71 or 81, though maybe it would be worth looking for Reek/Reeks because she may have switched between the two names, even if she married as a Goddard.

Have to go to work soon, so will look later unless anyone else has beaten me to it.

Regards

Sally

freddie999
27-11-2008, 10:57 AM
You have all been verry helpful sharing your searching skills, I wonder if anyone can find Emily Goddard in the 1881 or 1871 census? All my search have proved fruitless. She married in 1887, in Rydal, and became Emily Jenkinson. Her husband was on a troopship in 1881 heading towards India, I have search three boxes of soldiers papers at Kew,so I couldn't discover his discharge date, Emily Address on the marriage certificate was a cottage in Rydal hall grounds,can anyone find her, she was born in Wispington , Lincolnshire, 1853

Thanks

Craig

Pam Downes
27-11-2008, 2:11 PM
And I have found Jessy in 1871 in Belchford, Lincs with Charles Goddard (age 38, a gardener), Alfred (10) and 3 younger children.

RG10; Piece: 3383; Folio: 68; Page: 5;

I thought it might help to find Emily if I looked for her family, but I think it's just getting more complicated :confused: There is one possible candidate in lincs for a death for William (1865 in Lincoln) and I can't see anything for a second marriage for Jessy. Perhaps they hadn't married and he had taken the Goddard name to be the same as the rest of the family? Who knows??

Sally
Charles Goddard and William Goddard are the same person. :)
I thnk the enumerator in the 1871 census had a senior moment re the two Charles in the previous household.
Birthplace of 'Charles' in 1871 is Sotby - which is the birthplace of William in 1861, and William who is married to Jessie in 1881.
In 1891 Jessie is a widow living in Thimbleby with Beatrice Ethel Reeks aged 13, granddaughter. Beatrice allegedly born Horncastle. RG12/ 2598 folio 173 page 4
Beatrice is listed as Goddard in the 1881 census where's she living with William and Jessie. RG11/3249 folio 106 page 11.
Beatrice's birth registered as Beatrice Ethel T Reek, December quarter 1878, Horncastle registration district.
Pam