PDA

View Full Version : Long lost Grandfather

apowell
01-11-2008, 1:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been attempting to trace my Grandfather Joseph Homer born 21.11.1910 in Tipton England.

Joseph served in the Royal Engineers and Royal Pioneer Corps during the 2nd World War and saw service in France and Belgium. After the war he never returned home ( demobbed York England 1948) and he met someone in Belgium moved there and we think remarried (without a divorce) having two girls.

We have one photo of him in uniform (so 1944-1947) with this women (my Grandfathers sister owned this but had no other information).

Does anyone have any ideas which records to check and where to start to trace any information.

I've tried to google sites but just get terribly lost and confused.

Kind regards
Adrian

Lesley Robertson
01-11-2008, 2:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been attempting to trace my Grandfather Joseph Homer born 21.11.1910 in Tipton England.

Joseph served in the Royal Engineers and Royal Pioneer Corps during the 2nd World War and saw service in France and Belgium. After the war he never returned home ( demobbed York England 1948) and he met someone in Belgium moved there and we think remarried (without a divorce) having two girls.

We have one photo of him in uniform (so 1944-1947) with this women (my Grandfathers sister owned this but had no other information).

Does anyone have any ideas which records to check and where to start to trace any information.

I've tried to google sites but just get terribly lost and confused.

Kind regards
Adrian

It would help if you knew where he settled in Belgium - won't his medals card show the address his medals were sent to?

There's an english language page about belgian archives here http://surf.to/BEL-archives
The Belgian National Archives are here:
http://arch.arch.be/index.php?lang=en_GB
There's also a search engine for digitized records here:
http://geneaknowhow.net/digi/resources.html
Belgian stuff's at the bottom of the blue menu on the left.

That should get you started.
Lesley

apowell
03-11-2008, 6:49 AM
Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for your reply I will chase up those links you gave.

It's a sad story because my Grandfather left 5 children (my Mom was the youngest and never saw her Mom or Dad) and the stress caused my Grandmother to have a nervous breakdown spending the last 5 years of her life in hospital before her death from TB in 1949 at 38 years old.

My Uncle has asked me to help try and find some information on his father. This has been really difficult because we know so little and have no idea where he lived in Belgium.

We attempted to obtain his war records but because we didn't have proof of death or written consent the Goverment will not release them. We lodged an appeal but lost that.

I've had appeals for information published in local newspapers but to no avail.

Kind regards
Adrian

Geoffers
03-11-2008, 7:51 AM

Did his mum or dad die after he abandoned his family? If so, do either of them mention him in their will(s) and also where he lived?

If he remained a British Subject, is he included in the indices to foreign deaths?