PDA

View Full Version : BLAIR Alexander / Margaret 1835

WallaceB
29-10-2008, 12:38 AM
I am trying to discover more about Alexander BLAIR born 1835 in Scotland. He married Margaret Blair (same maiden name) on 18 Jul 1864 in Carlisle, England. We suspect that the location may be wrong because no record of the marriage can be found.
They had 6 children. The first 2 born in the Glasgow area, and the others born in the Bradford area. The children are: George Alexander BLAIR; Isabella Blair; Will BLAIR; Andrew BLAIR; Alexander BLAIR; and Rotha Blair.
Margaret Blair came from Kilmarnock, and her parents are Gilbert BLAIR and Margaret Ingles. She had 5 older siblings: James Willet Blair; John Blair; Isabella Blair; David Blair; and Ann Gordon Blair.
Will Blair was my Grandfather, and emigrated to New Zealand in about 1919 with his wife Florence Louisa Chatterton and their 4 children.
Any help or information would be very much appreciated as I seem to have come to an abrupt end here.

Procat
29-10-2008, 1:12 AM
Have you tried looking on Scotlands People (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/) for the marriage?

Given the first kids were born in Glasgow perhaps the marriage occurred in Scotland rather than England.

Lesley Robertson
29-10-2008, 8:40 AM
I am trying to discover more about Alexander BLAIR born 1835 in Scotland. He married Margaret Blair (same maiden name) on 18 Jul 1864 in Carlisle, England. We suspect that the location may be wrong because no record of the marriage can be found.
They had 6 children. The first 2 born in the Glasgow area, and the others born in the Bradford area. The children are: George Alexander BLAIR; Isabella Blair; Will BLAIR; Andrew BLAIR; Alexander BLAIR; and Rotha Blair.
Margaret Blair came from Kilmarnock, and her parents are Gilbert BLAIR and Margaret Ingles. She had 5 older siblings: James Willet Blair; John Blair; Isabella Blair; David Blair; and Ann Gordon Blair.
Will Blair was my Grandfather, and emigrated to New Zealand in about 1919 with his wife Florence Louisa Chatterton and their 4 children.
Any help or information would be very much appreciated as I seem to have come to an abrupt end here.

Regarding that marriage, scottish birth certs since 1861 have shown the date and place of the parents' marriage so you should be able to find it by going to Scotlands People and buying a copy for one of those Glasgow births. While you're there you can look for the Blairs in the 1841 and 1851 census returns.
If you've not used it before, have a look at my sticky on SP in the general Scottish Forum.

Lesley

WallaceB
29-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Regarding that marriage, scottish birth certs since 1861 have shown the date and place of the parents' marriage so you should be able to find it by going to Scotlands People and buying a copy for one of those Glasgow births. While you're there you can look for the Blairs in the 1841 and 1851 census returns.
If you've not used it before, have a look at my sticky on SP in the general Scottish Forum.

Lesley
Yes you are so right. However the birth cert. of the 2 children born in Scotland shows Carlisle and there is no record of the marriage there so that is why I am lost.
Regards Wallace

WallaceB
29-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Have you tried looking on Scotlands People (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/) for the marriage?

Given the first kids were born in Glasgow perhaps the marriage occurred in Scotland rather than England.

I believe that you are right but have not been able to establish that and it is not so easy from the other side of the world tyo find out. I was hoping for someon else who is related may know.
Regards Wallace

Procat
30-10-2008, 12:01 AM
It is of course possible that they did not marry.

My gg grandmother consistently put down the same date and place of marriage on the birth certificates of her children in Australia yet there is no record of the marriage to be found.

Lesley Robertson
30-10-2008, 8:37 AM
I believe that you are right but have not been able to establish that and it is not so easy from the other side of the world tyo find out. I was hoping for someon else who is related may know.
Regards Wallace

I've had a look on Scotlands People, the only Alex Blair/Marg Blair marriage was 1906 on Rothesay.
Like you, I can't find a marriage for them. I wonder whether the Carlisle Registrar came up with some spectacular miss-spelling of their names if they had broad accents...

Lesley

Deano
30-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Hello WallaceB,

You say that you cannot find a marriage for Alexander Blair, and Margaret Blair, so i was wondering how you linked Margaret Blair, to parents Gilbert Blair, and Margaret Inglis.

Regards,
Jonn.

WallaceB
31-10-2008, 2:47 AM
By her sister Isabella Blair being the person who registered the first 2 births and being named as an Auntie.
Cheers for the interest Wallace

Deano
31-10-2008, 9:52 AM
Hello WallaceB,

Yes Isabella Blair, married Robert Millar, 25/Sep/1866. Glasgow, Lanark.
They had two children, Georgina Millar, and David Millar. Isabella Blair Millar, died 1876. leaving Robert Millar, a widower with two children.

1881. census. for 391 St. George Street, Glasgow, we have,

Robert Millar, Head, Grocer Emp. 1 man 1 woman 1 boy, W. age 42 years, born Glasgow, Lanark,
David Millar, Son, Scholar, U. age 12 years, M. born Glasgow, Lanark,
Margaret Blair, W. age 75 years, F. born Kilmarnock,
Elizabeth Collins, Serv. Dom Serv. U. age 27 years, F. born Glasgow, Lanark.

Margaret Blair, above aged 75 years, is the widow of Gilbert Blair.

Robert, and Isabella's, daughter Georgina Millar, is staying with you Alexander Blair, his wife Margaret, and family in Manningham, York, in 1881.

Regards,
Jonn.