PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find out more about the QUAIFE family in 1800's London

Genevieve
27-01-2005, 2:30 PM
My gt gt grandfather was a QUAIFE. Despite the surname this branch of my tree is proving to be quite problematical.

John QUAIFE was born 6 Dec 1857 in Islington. His parents were John QUAIFE and Mary Ann ALLEN and they were married 8 Jun 1851 in Camberwell at which time John QUAIFE senior's father was named as Stephen QUAIFE.

John (junior) and his wife Ellen QUAIFE are in the 1881 census in Hornsey, Middlesex but otherwise I cannot find any of the above QUAIFEs in the 1901, 1891 or 1871 census. There are a couple of possibles for Mary Ann QUAIFE in the 1881 and 1891 census but they aren't helping me much.

I have searched the online indices to the 1901, 1891, 1881 and 1871 census and appreciate their limitations.

Can anyone help?

Annie
27-01-2005, 9:11 PM
Afraid the only likely Quaife I've found is Ellen Quaife aged 10 onthe 1891 census living with her grandparents surname Randall. Will send image if you would like it

Annie

Genevieve
27-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Annie

Thanks and yes please. That Ellen will be John and Ellen QUAIFE's daughter, Ellen who was 6 months old on the 1881 census. Ellen QUAIFE (senior)'s maiden name was RANDALL, her father's name was given as John RANDALL on her marriage cert. So, the entry you have found will give me more details on her parents.

Presume your source is 'Ancestry'?

DaveNM
17-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Annie

Thanks and yes please. That Ellen will be John and Ellen QUAIFE's daughter, Ellen who was 6 months old on the 1881 census. Ellen QUAIFE (senior)'s maiden name was RANDALL, her father's name was given as John RANDALL on her marriage cert. So, the entry you have found will give me more details on her parents.

Presume your source is 'Ancestry'?
Not sure whether you have solved the problem of the missing Quaifes.
John Quaife died Sep 1889 at the age of 31y,widow Ellen married Samuel Furnee in Dec 1892.Ellen Morn Quaife 6m in 1881 bChallerton Road

So try this in 1901 Ellen Furnee 40y at 13 Mansell Road,Islington with hubbie Samuel Furnee 38y "Coachman" with John Randall married 45y Uncle,John Furnee 19y and Amy Furnee(but Quaife surely) 15y

My contact---Alfred Quaife b1892 son of Alfred b1857 son of your John.Alf married my gms sister my Aunt Nell--Nellie Blanche Wilks--Alf died 1942 no children but I well remember Aunt Nell-always wondered who Uncle Kiff(Quaife) was.

I have other FH if you wish.

Dave

Genevieve
19-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Not sure whether you have solved the problem of the missing Quaifes.
Hi Dave - I haven't solved it myself but one of my Mum's cousins had discovered the Furnee connection. I haven't had time to follow up on any of his information as I am expecting my third child in the New Year and have been completely 'wiped out' hence my recent absence from this forum.

John Quaife died Sep 1889 at the age of 31y,widow Ellen married Samuel Furnee in Dec 1892.Ellen Morn Quaife 6m in 1881 bChallerton Road

So try this in 1901 Ellen Furnee 40y at 13 Mansell Road,Islington with hubbie Samuel Furnee 38y "Coachman" with John Randall married 45y Uncle,John Furnee 19y and Amy Furnee(but Quaife surely) 15y

My contact---Alfred Quaife b1892 son of Alfred b1857 son of your John.Alf married my gms sister my Aunt Nell--Nellie Blanche Wilks--Alf died 1942 no children but I well remember Aunt Nell-always wondered who Uncle Kiff(Quaife) was.

I have names for siblings of John QUAIFE (b.1857) - Stephen, Walter, Alfred and Ada but that is all.

I have other FH if you wish.

Dave

I would be really interested in any other information you have. Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum - I've found people really helpful and made some useful breakthroughs as a result.

Gaynor