PDA

View Full Version : The French Connection

Dylan
17-09-2008, 7:03 PM
Does anyone know how to trace relatives born in France?

Jan1954
17-09-2008, 7:06 PM
Hello Dylan, welcome to the forum.

Have a read of this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32576).

Meanwhile, I will move your post to the European section so that others looking at French genealogy may help.

Geoffers
17-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Does anyone know how to trace relatives born in France?

Welcome to the B-G forums. Would you expand this a little?

Are you trying to living or dead people?

What period? Now, 50 years ago, 100 years ago, etc?

After you after births, marriages or deaths?

Are these relatives British subjects born in France, or of French nationality?

Dylan
17-09-2008, 7:21 PM
I am trying to trace back my grandma's line. All I know is my grandmother was Eugenie Etienne born 1898 in Pont de Briques, Pas de Calais. Her parents were Jules Etienne a foreman brickworker and Josephine Dumont who died in 1956 in Condette France. I suppose I am after dates of those mentioned as well as seeing if I can trace the line further back.

Geoffers
17-09-2008, 7:34 PM
Using a search engine, I entered:

French "birth registration" and amongst the sites on offer, there seems to be a basic guide (http://genealogy.about.com/od/france/a/french_ancestry_2.htm)which may help.

At least it is somewhere to start.

Dylan
17-09-2008, 7:54 PM
Thanx Geoffers - will give it a go:)

pottoka
30-09-2008, 7:08 PM
I am trying to trace back my grandma's line. All I know is my grandmother was Eugenie Etienne born 1898 in Pont de Briques, Pas de Calais. Her parents were Jules Etienne a foreman brickworker and Josephine Dumont who died in 1956 in Condette France. I suppose I am after dates of those mentioned as well as seeing if I can trace the line further back.

Can I be of any help? I've recently come across a French genealogical site which has volunteers who will go to the Archives départementales (the equivalent of a County Record Office) and look up records for people who can't get there themselves. I can give you the name of the site or post a request for you (if you don't speak French).

Otherwise you can write to the Mairie de Saint-Etienne au Mont (which covers Pont-de-Briques) with an sae and ask them for an "extrait de naissance" for Eugénie. Town Halls usually supply them free. The address is:
Mairie de Saint Etienne au Mont,
Rue Sené Porion
62360 Saint Etienne au Mont

Email : mairie AT saintetienneaumont DOT com