PDA

View Full Version : ROACH - Whippingham, Isle of Wight

racing girl
22-08-2008, 8:18 PM
Looking for siblings of Thomas Roach bn c1814 at Whippingham. His parents were James Roach and Sarah Robinson, James was also born in the IOW, not sure about Sarah.

The IOW FHS have been very helpful and have a great website, but they have nothing on line for BMD before 1837. He's not on the IGI either or the FFHS website.

Brenda

MaidinOman
24-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Hi Brenda, I am also looking at this family, specifically, Thomas's younger brother Leonard, b c 1827, Isle of Wight to James Roach (1778-1847) and wife Sarah Robinson (1785-?). Leonard married an Elizabeth South of Essex and they emigrated to Australia, located as a clothier in Adelaide in 1862 and by 1885 had moved to Carlton in Melbourne. They had five children, all but one dying before the age of three. The survivor was Walter George Roach (1862-1936) with whom i am concerned. Back to James and Sarah in Isle of Wight. James was a 'mealman' or dealer in meal and flour and in the 1841 Census, he and Sarah are living with their youngest children at East Medina House, Whippingham - now heritage listed and on the banks of the River Medina. They married 29 March, 1809 at Newport, I of W. They had 10 children as follows:
Sarah (1811-1877)
Margaret (1812-?)
Thomas Robinson (1814-1877) - your interest?
John (1817-?)
George (1818-?)
Ellen (1820-1853)
Twins Amelia and Emily (1825-?)
Leonard (1827-1902) - my concern
James William Roach (1821-?)
Interested to know if you have any more about the Australian connection. i think maybe Leonard was not the only child to emigrate there? You can email me at

jmkinsman AT gmail DOT com
regards
Jane

racing girl
25-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Hello Jane
Yep, Thomas Robinson Roach married Jane Hills in 1845, they had two daughters, then a son, James in 1852. James inherited the family business of Tide Mills, was a grain and corn merchant and also lived at the house in East Medina, Whippingham. He married into my husbands Palmer family and they raised their children there. Thomas and Jane also had two more daughters and two more sons.

The only other sibling of Thomas that I know anything about is Emily, she married a Corfield and had at least one daughter, Leonora. Leonora married her first cousin, James, son of Thomas and Jane. The other siblings are unknown to me, but it's been a couple of years since I looked at them in any detail, maybe it's time to start again!

I'll send you and email too.

Brenda

racing girl
25-03-2013, 3:51 PM
I knew I had this info somewhere:

Thomas Corfield, c1818, Penryn, Cornwall, Agent & Autioneer. Married Emily Roach (c1825 - 1905) Dec Q 1947, Whippingham, IOW.

All children born Penryn unless otherwise noted:
Lavinia 1848
Emily 1849
Medina 1850
Janett 1852
Anne 1854
Edith Mary 1855
Thomas William 1856
Leonora 1860 - 5 March 1951 IOW
Amelia Theresa 1865 - Budock, Falmouth, Cornwall
Florence Ethel 1867 - Ditto
Sarah Mildred R 1869 - Ditto

Clipper
09-08-2013, 2:56 AM
A fair number of Thomas Roach's offspring are now residing in Canada, are you still looking for info?
check photo of TR Roach
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourpointofview/6585819321/

MaidinOman
09-08-2013, 7:43 AM
Hi Clipper,
yes, i am still keen to find out more about the Canadian branch of this family. Is that a photo of TR Roach 1814-1877?
What a handsome man. You can contact me at jmkinsman AT gmail dot com

racing girl
09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Fantastic photo Clipper, I've also been looking at the other ones in your Flickr photo stream, some beauties there of the Roach and Atrill's. Is this your line? Walter Douglas Roach and Mabel Atrill? I have a number of the Roach clan that I've found settled in Canada but I'm sure I don't have them all by any means. I'd also love to have more info if you can supply it too. I'll send you a private message with my email address and perhaps you can copy me as well as Jane on any info you have, save duplicating it all.

Regards
Brenda

Clipper
09-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Actually I've found out that the photo is of John Roach, and not TR Roach. I do know we have family in Australia, and down in the States, is that your interest? Ian Roach in Regina has created a large PDF document showing the family trees and history, specifically from Thomas Robinson Roach on down. Since he created the doc I would need to ask his permission to send it to you. At present I'm not home, but when I get back I'll send his contact info to you.

racing girl
10-08-2013, 2:06 AM
Actually I'm English, I've lived in Michigan for 19 years. Grace Caroline Palmer (known as Carrie, and wife to James Roach) was my husbands Gt Gt Gt Aunt. Three of her daughters, Mary Grace, Florence and Mildred were bridesmaids when my husbands Gt Grandfather married on the Isle of Wight. If Ian will give permission, I'd love to see the document that's been created. I have a lot of info on the Palmer side too.

MaidinOman
10-08-2013, 1:50 PM
Hi Clipper and Brenda,
likewise, I'd be delighted if you could put us in touch with Ian and his family tree. I am in Australia and researching the family here on behalf of a descendant of TR Roach's younger brother Leonard who emigrated to Adelaide in 1850 and was gt gfather to my contact here, another Ian Roach. Can you please clarify then, re the photo of the gentleman with beard - was he TR Roach's brother John (b. 1817) or was he TR's son John (1860-1943)? Thankyou very much.
regards
Jane

thewideeyedowl
10-08-2013, 4:32 PM
Good afternoon fellow posters !

I've just dropped by and found that the Roach research is moving forward. Fantastic :thumbsup:! I am interested not as family but as someone who is researching John Roach as an employer.

In the 1911 Census, my husband's grandfather and young family were living at West Mill, Carisbrooke Road, Newport, IW. Grandfather Frank Cooke is 'General Miller and Stoneman, Roach's Flour Mill'. I understand that John Roach and his wife Leonora were living at West Mill House (?). Anyway, it sounds as if it is part of the Mill complex. I contacted the IWFHS about this and received two emails, which helped to clarify things a little. Here is the content of the first one:

I was looking at the Isle of Wight history society website and saw your query regarding West Mill. I'm not a member of the society, but have family from the IoW.

The owner of the mill was John Roach, born 1860 in Whippingham, IoW. You will find he also gives West Mill as his address on the 1911 Census. He was my 2xGGF's brother and married his 1st cousin Leonora Roach. He was quite a character on the island, and with a bit of search, you will find his obituary and other details of the mill.

The Roach family owned 3 mills on the island, including East Medina Mill. They were quite well to do and bettered themselves through marriage.

The second emailer was able to identify the site of West Mill, which is hidden away off Carisbrooke Road. It is now a Listed building - see National Record of Industrial Momuments. The citation states:

18th century watermill and corn mill situated just north of the Carisbrooke road and reached by a private road... Three storeys with loft and basement.....Ashlar lined millstream to north west but the wheel no longer exists. I found this info on PastScape.

I understand that John Roach's brother James died within a year or two of the census; I also understand that it was James who had been running the other family mills (the Tide Mills), but when James died John took over the whole business. (I have yet to research in depth to verify all this, but it is on the 'to do' list.... Have also still to check out John Roach in IW newspapers.

Now for my own hypothesis and queries: When John Roach had to assume responsibility for the whole family milling business, did he delegate the running of West Mill to Frank Cooke, the General Miller? Whatever happened, it seems that Frank Cooke (who was from a long line of ag labs) must have made some money because in 1925 he bought a small terraced cottage in Elm Grove, Newport, for his eldest daughter when she got married - he set the young couple up. The little house remained in the ownership of the family until the late 1980s.

Here is a link to info about the Tide Mills: http://woottonbridgeiow.org.uk/wightlife/tides.php. (Hope it works. Add a www if there are probs.)

Must swoop off now - food to prepare and visitors coming, so I won't be back here for several days.

The Wideeyed Owl

iroach
13-08-2013, 6:07 AM
Ian Roach in Regina has created a large PDF document showing the family trees and history, specifically from Thomas Robinson Roach on down. Since he created the doc I would need to ask his permission to send it to you. At present I'm not home, but when I get back I'll send his contact info to you.
Clipper was nice enough to pass along a link to this site and I have registered as a user and will help where I can. I'm not a professional genealogist and the information I have is mostly not backed by proven sources but some of the older information has been passed down through the family and was reportedly copied from records at the IOW. I am the eldest son of the eldest son of the eldest son of the eldest son of TR so my focus has been primarily on the Roach descendents of TR but I have a significant amount of information about all the descendents of TR. However, most of it is birth-death stuff and I am almost more interested in the related 'life story' kinds of information that led up to the dispersal of the family abroad in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

iroach
13-08-2013, 6:31 AM
MaidinOman ... I'm afraid I don't have any information for you on Leonard. I didn't even have his wife's name or their children so I'm not going to be much help to you I don't think.

iroach
13-08-2013, 6:37 AM
They had 10 children as follows:
Sarah (1811-1877)
Margaret (1812-?)
Thomas Robinson (1814-1877) - your interest?
John (1817-?)
George (1818-?)
Ellen (1820-1853)
Twins Amelia and Emily (1825-?)
Leonard (1827-1902) - my concern
James William Roach (1821-?)
Interested to know if you have any more about the Australian connection. i think maybe Leonard was not the only child to emigrate there? You can email me at

jmkinsman AT gmail DOT com
regards
Jane
Jane ..for what it's worth, my records don't exactly match yours. After TR, I have James (1815) then John (1816). I also have Amelia as 1821 and Emily at 1825 so not twins by my records. I also have James William as 1831 not 1821.

iroach
13-08-2013, 6:47 AM
Brenda .. my information is the same as yours right down to the cousins marrying. However, I didn't have any of the Corfield children (other than Leonora) in your later thread.

James inherited the family business of Tide Mills, was a grain and corn merchant and also lived at the house in East Medina, Whippingham. He married into my husbands Palmer family and they raised their children there.
One of their 8 children was Arthur who was my grandfather. He married Grace Williams and they settled in Saskatchewan where he was a farmer and bridge builder. He died in 1951.

racing girl
13-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Hello Wideeyed owl
I saw your query on the IOW FHS site but it said that you had the required info so I didn't contact you.

James Roach died on 12 July 1911. All of his own sons had emigrated to Canada which is why the mills then passed to John & Leonora Roach, James had been running all three in partnership with John. With James dead, his sons in Canada and John Roach having no children of his own I would assume your hypothesis is likely correct, and your relative may have become manager at Westmill. Not sure that we'll ever know that for sure though, but as you say, someone from an Ag Lab background wouldn't have had the funds to buy a property for his daughter in ordinary circumstances.

I'm enclosing a brief extract from a memoir I have, written by the nephew of John & Nora (Leonora). The writer used to spend his summer holidays at East Medina with the Roach family as a small boy. The time period he is writing about is around 1923, he mentions Westmill:

"If one walked on through Newport there was the other Roach mill, Westmill, also water-powered but from a constantly-fed pond, so that the men there worked regular day-time hours. There was a Model T Ford delivery van, but the bulk of the carrying was by horse and cart, and there were three light and three heavy ones, with stabling for a dozen horses. The mill house stood nearby, but separated from the mill compound by a brick wall. It no longer belonged to the family, but Uncle John and Aunty Nora lived in it until his brother James died, when they moved to East Medina."

So it seems likely by 1923 parts of Westmill had already been sold off. This is about all my info on that one mill I'm afraid! Nice to know part of it still exists.

I'm also interested to know who your first emailer was! Perhaps if I pm you my email address, you can pass it along to that first contact?

Cheers
Brenda

racing girl
13-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Ian - fantastic to hear from you. Don't worry about not being a professional researcher, very few of us are, we just have an interest in our families and the times in which they lived. We all have a few good documents, like a marriage certificate or a birth certificate, immigration records, WWI attestation papers, obituaries etc so we can piece together the basic facts with some degree of accuracy, the rest becomes supposition or the best guess based on all the info at hand, but if we can all pool our resources then we can build up a fairly decent picture of their lives.

For example, you say you're the eldest son of the eldest son of the eldest son etc. However at one point in that, that should be "eldest surviving son" as James Roach and Grace Caroline Palmer Roach's first born was a boy, George James in 1879, sadly he died aged just 11 wks, making your Arthur Helmore Roach the oldest surviving son. Arthur's middle name comes from Grace Helmore, Grace Caroline's mother.

Anyway, back to TR Roach, I have the following:
My earliest Roach is Henry (c1665 - 1728) who married Mary Trattle (c1670 - 1742)

But from TR Roach I have:
Sarah 1811 - 1877
Margaret 1812
Thomas Robinson 1814-1877
James 1815
John 1817
George 1818
Ellen 1820 - 1853
Amelia 1822
Emily 1825 - 1905
Leonard 1827
James William 1831

Parents were James Roach (1778 - 1847) and Sarah Robinson (c1785) who married on 29 March 1809. I have a few baptisms for some of the children and a couple of TR's siblings married off, but not the whole picture.

I found Arthur Helmore Roach on a land grant in Saskatchewan but there was no date listed. I also think he had a son, James Richard Roach, who died in 2001 but I can't be totally sure about that. I could never find who Arthur had married or if he had other children.

I have Walter Douglas marring Mabel Atrill, having two children and then also ending up in Canada, possibly dying in 1952.

Leslie Palmer seems to have married in Canada, to Elma Olive Branch Alexander. She died and he married her sister Dorothye. There were three children but I don't know to which wife. I have his WWI Attestation Papers when he joined the Cadadian Expeditionay Forces but I know nothing about his time in the military.

As to Eastace James, I don't know when he emigrated, where he lived or who he married. I just have his date of death as 9 April 1959 in White Rock, BC.

As to the girls, I have Mary Grace (1880-1935) marrying Frederick Stokoe with three children, two of whom survived. Florence Ellen (1881), Mildred (1883 - 1944) and Kathleen Ida (1892 - 1914).

That's about where I'm at with the modern Roach family. I have quite a bit Palmer info and also a lot of Cruttwell and Helmore info. The Cruttwells, Helmores and Palmers are your direct line on Grace Caroline Palmer's side.

I shall pm you my email address too, I'd love to see the pdf you've put together.

Regards,
Brenda

racing girl
13-08-2013, 2:10 PM
And of course George James (1879-1879). So 9 children in total for James and Carry (Grace Caroline). James also seems to have been known by his middle name of William.

Clipper
14-08-2013, 1:39 AM
Does anyone know about George Roach (he is family as well) at:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8666324

iroach
14-08-2013, 3:35 AM
Tks racing girl .. great stuff. I have sent you more info via email on the descendents of James and Caroline.

MaidinOman
14-08-2013, 9:47 AM
Hi all, great to see this exchange of information.
You are quite right, Ian - I had some wonky dates which I partly blame on poor transcription in my initial post! I'm sorry to hear you don't have anything more on Leonard Roach (1827-1902)
I've given Peter a bit of a rundown of the Australian branch so if anyone else wants it, email me at jmkinsman@gmail.com
And thanks Brenda for clarifications.
It's interesting to me that the Australians frequently gave their children or houses the name 'Medina'. In trying to work out how you are all related, am i correct in saying that Ian and Peter are 2nd cousins whilst MY Leonard Ian Roach (who died in 2003 in Melbourne) is their 3rd cousin once removed since he's from the generation before.
Ian, not sure if Brenda has responded re George Roach already but I think he is a brother to Leonard and TR, born 1818 in Isle of Wight, is in all the Canadian Census 1851-1881 and 1901 as an innkeeper, then refectory and refreshment room owner, in 1871 an importer and breeder until he was Lord Mayor of Hamilton, Ontario 1876-1876. If you Googlemap the house where he died on 13 May, 1904 - 55 Barton St. West, Hamilton, Ontario - it's a splendid looking house - possibly a former hotel? He and wife Mary Jane had six daughters and two sons. Can't see their emigration date but he and brother Leonard must have left Isle of Wight around the same time, pre-1851.

racing girl
14-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Very interesting about George. I had seen him on a list of Hamilton mayors on Wiki I think it was, but hadn't followed him up, not suspecting that he was the George born in 1818 and brother of TR! Loenora Corfield also had a sister named Medina, so it seems to be a name that family were using for a while too.

racing girl
14-08-2013, 5:30 PM
Can't see their emigration date but he and brother Leonard must have left Isle of Wight around the same time, pre-1851.

According to the Canadian 1901 census he lists his immigration date as 1840.

racing girl
14-08-2013, 5:36 PM
The house was built in 1854

Roach House in Hamilton (http://historicalhamilton.com/type/house/roach-house/)

iroach
14-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Wideeyed owl .. I don't know if you have this but I was looking through my files and see that I had a 'copy' of John Roach's obit and that might be useful to you. I don't see how I can attach a file so I'm just pasting the whole thing here. I have also seen differing comments about ownership of the mills so be careful. The East mill was supposedly built by a baker in Newport named William Porter as a mill and biscuit factory around 1790 on a site formerly occupied by some barracks. The story goes that the bank that held their loan went bankrupt and creditors forced Porter to sell the mill. The property then transferred some how to John White of Fairlee. The mill was subsequently leased by William Roach who installed his son James at the mill. James reportedly ran the business on behalf of the family until his death in 1846 when ownership of the business (but not the Medina mill that was still owned by John White's descendants) passed to his son Thomas. During this time, my source says that they did very well and invested in other mills on the island. On Oct 11, 1877, Thomas reportedly purchased the mill and went into partnership with his eldest son James but this only lasted 5 days as Thomas died on Oct 16. James owned the business until his death in 1911 whereupon it passed to his brother John who ran it until his retirement in 1939 although he had some the [East] Medina mill to the Newport Corporation two years earlier. My source went on to say "on his death in 1942 his (John) will left remaining property (the mill at West Mill and the house and possibly a farm at Medina and possibly a bakery in Newport) in trust to his wife Leonora who has its use until her death whereupon it passed to the children of his brother James who sold the property soon after. Note that the East Mill was a tide mill and the West Mill was a more traditional 'stream mill' that was operated on 'normal' daylight hours.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following obituary for John Roach of East Medina, IOW was extracted from a newpaper of unknown name dated Saturday March 6, 1943 provided by Doreen Wade Aug 2000.

SATURDAY MARCH 6, 1943

DEATH OF MR. JOHN ROACH OF EAST MEDINA.

CHURCHWARDEN' FOR 52 YEARS.

By the death of Mr. John Roach. of East Medina House, Newport, which occurred on Saturday at the age of 83, the business and church life of the Island mourns a notable and highly esteemed figure. Mr. Roach was for 64 years associated with the firm of Messrs. T.R. and J. Roach, millers and corn merchants, of East Medina, West, and Lower Shide Mills. in the Newport district, and since the death of his brother James in 1911 be was solely responsible for its control until his retirement in 1939, when the business, which had been carried on by the family for 142 years, closed down. At that time it was operated only from West Mill, Newport, the other two mills having been disposed of some years earlier. It was a firm with an enviable reputation for quality
and straight dealing, which Mr. John Roach scrupulously maintained. For 57 years he made weekly rounds on a bicycle, visiting customers in all parts of the Island, and when he retired he
estimated that he must have cycled over 100,000 miles on business. His business enterprise was shown by the fact that he was using telephones between his mills as far back as 1886, about 10 years before a public telephone service was established in the Island; by his having the latest American maize-crushing machine installed at East Medina Mill just after the last war; also by an experiment which he made in having an iron water-wheel made to replace a wooden one, but this proved a failure. On the other hand, his love for well-tried old ways was shown by his decision not wholly tc mechanise his transport. When everbody was changing from horses to motor-cars he certainly had some cars, but he retained his pair-horse delivery van until his retirement. This was also an indication of the sturdy independence which was an outstanding trait in his character. No one could persuade John Roach to do a thing he considered wrong or unwise. Mr. Roach will
always be remembered with gratitude by the people of the parish of St. John's, Newport. For 52 yoars, until advancing age and infirmity caused his recent retirerment, he rendered devoted service to the church as one of the people's wardons; and throughout that long time he was responsible for keeping the parochial accounts, a task in which he took particular pride. His annual statements to the vestries were models of detail and accuracy. In early days he was a keen and powerful oarsman in the racing crews of the Newport Rowing Club on the River Medina. by the side of which he was born and resided throughout his long life. He also served for five years in the I.W. Rifle Volunteers. He leaves a widow and two adopted daughters. Mrs. Roach was for many years the owner and conttroller of the Soldiers' Home at the bottom of Hunnyhill, Newport, doing a valued work there for the benefit of the troops stationed at Parkhurst. Mr. Roach's health had been failing for several years, but he kept about until two days before the end. He passed away peacefully in his sleep late on Saturday night. In his love of church work Mr. Roach continued a family tradition. His father, Mr. Thomas Robinson Roach, was churchwarden at
Whippingham Church when Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort worshipped there. His name appears at the base of. a tablet in the vestry recording the opening of the present church on January 12th, 1862, and the fact that the internal fittings, including the font, seats, heating apparatus, gallery, and organ were provided by the donations of the Queen, the Prince Consort, and other residents of the parish whose names are inscribed. His brother James followed in the office at Whippingham and occupied the wardenship for 32 years.
The funeral was at Whippingham on Wednesday. The Vicar of. St. John's, Newport (the Rev. W.H. Mackinnon officiated and the organist (Mrs. Derham) accompanied the hyms "Jesu, Lover of my soul " and "Abide with me" and played " 0 rest in the Lord." The chief mourners were the widow, Mr. and Mrs. W. Harvey and Mr. and Mrs. H. Shipman (sons-in-law and daughters), Capt. W. D. Roach (nephew) and Mrs. Roach, Miss M. Roach (niece), Mr. F. 0. H. Stokoe (executor), and Mr. A. Oliver (employee). Others attending were Messrs. H. Ablitt, A. Allen, F. Cooke, and W. Stark (former employees), the Mayor of Newport (Ald. W. Blake, J.P., who was a contemporary of Mr. Roach in his rowing days), Mr. and Mrs. Seymour Pittis, Mr. and Mrs. M. J. Attrlll, Miss Green, Mr. Edward and Miss E. Way, Messrs. W. Guy and W. G. Cutmore (churchwardens at St. John's, Newport; Mr. Guy also representing the firm of S. Guy, Ltd.), Mr. R. J. Eldridge, hon. secretary, Mrs. Eldridge, and Messrs R. Mackett and W. G. Sibbick, J.P. (members of the St. John's Parochial Church Council), Miss L. Welby Pryer (representing the St.. John's Sunday-school and her sister, Miss D. Welby Pryer, organist of St. John's Church), Miss Pring, the Misses Etheridge (also representing Mrs. Alabone), Miss M. Scovell. (representing Miss Scovell), Mrs. H. Ab1itt, and Messrs. L.C. Attrlll, R.P. Mew, W: A. Morris, J.H.Knighton, H. Rolf, H. A. Ablitt, P. F. Wadham, W. H. Croucher, W. G. B. Weeks (Messrs. Thomas, Gater, Bradfield and Company), and A. Miles (I.W. Farmers' Trading Society). Mr. and Mrs. James Eldridge and Mr. L. Jordan were unavoidab1y prevented from attending. There were no flowers, by reqnest, except one large family token. Messrs. H. and F. Damp made the arrangements.

thewideeyedowl
15-08-2013, 8:44 PM
Hi All

Have just returned to the interface after a break for a family 90th birthday celebration. There is some wonderful stuff here - thank you - and for the PMs too. Will get back to the thread some time during the next week.

Wideeyed Owl

homeward bound
26-09-2013, 6:24 PM
George Roach is GGGrandfather to my husband. When I was researching George's family - the name MaidinOman appeared. I would like to thank her for referring me to this website. George has a very large family and some of the research can be found on 2 ancestry site. The domains which are both descendants of George's daughter Clara Emily Roach are Johnston/Wright/Gates Family Tree and Holgate Gates Family Tree. I started the Holgate Gates file, the other file belongs to a ggGranddaughter of George. You will find pictures of George and his family in both files which my cousin has provided. Regards Suzanne

kwaller
23-01-2016, 9:16 PM
George Roach was my GGGrandfather. His daughter, Clara, married Charles Arthur Jones. One of their daughters, Phyllis Claire, married Alex Gates. One of their daughters, Dulce Elizabeth, married William E Waller. She was my mother. I have more info on this branch if you're interested.

Ken Waller

iroach
24-01-2016, 6:24 AM
Ken (and Homeward Bound) .. nice to see you post here. According to my FTM software, George was my 3rd great uncle. In other words, I'm a decendent of Thomas Robinson Roach (1814-1877), George's slightly younger brother. I do currently have George in my tree along with his 14 kids but I have his daughter 'Clara' as 'Claire' which is curious since both you and I are showing her daughter Phyllis having a middle name of 'Claire'. I also have Phyllis' three other sisters but I don't show that she married William .. although I see Ancestry hints from Johnston/Wright/Gates and Waller Public trees which suggest she might also have been married to a Mr. McRae. I would be interested in communicating privately with both you and Suzanne (above) about George's decendents.

kwaller
24-01-2016, 6:52 AM
Ken (and Homeward Bound) .. nice to see you post here. According to my FTM software, George was my 3rd great uncle. In other words, I'm a decendent of Thomas Robinson Roach (1814-1877), George's slightly younger brother. I do currently have George in my tree along with his 14 kids but I have his daughter 'Clara' as 'Claire' which is curious since both you and I are showing her daughter Phyllis having a middle name of 'Claire'. I also have Phyllis' three other sisters but I don't show that she married William .. although I see Ancestry hints from Johnston/Wright/Gates and Waller Public trees which suggest she might also have been married to a Mr. McRae. I would be interested in communicating privately with both you and Suzanne (above) about George's descendents.

Hi Ian,
I am reasonably certain it is Clara Emily Roach.
Phyllis Jones (my grandmother), married Frederick Alexander Gates and had 4 daughters (Patricia May, Dulce Elizabeth (my mother), Phyllis Marjorie (hetter known as 'Charlie') and Sheila)
Dulce Gates married William Gordon McRae in 1941 and they had a son William Gordon McRae Jr in 1942. William McRae Sr was killed in 1945 flying for the RCAF. Dulce married William Edward Waller (my father) in 1947 and they had 3 children (Sheila Patricia, Kenneth Edward (yours truly) and Robert Thornton.

Patricia Gates married Thomas Wright, Charlie Gates married Henry Holgate.

Would love to communicate further. My e-mail is kenwaller99ATgmailDOTcom.

Ken

iroach
25-01-2016, 5:32 AM
Ken ...email sent