PDA

View Full Version : SPRIGGS, JAMES born 1808 March, Cambridgeshire; 1851 Census in Norfolk

elizabeth Ann
07-01-2005, 2:15 AM
James Spriggs first wife, Mary Ann probably died in March, Cambridgeshire of child birth in abt 1842. In 1851 in Kings Lynn St. Margaret, Norfolk, he is listed as age 43, occupation Lab (Navy) married to Ellen age 46 of Ireland with daughter Sarah 10. Could someone check out if he is listed in the 1861 Census? Or, did he return to Cambridgeshire? Is it also possible to look for a marriage certificate for he and Ellen? Or a death certificate for James? I'm trying to find any leads possible to learn what happened to him after 1851? Were there more children?????
I would appreciate any help.
Elizabeth of Sonoma, CA, USA

Geoffers
07-01-2005, 9:12 AM
James Spriggs first wife, Mary Ann probably died in March, Cambridgeshire of child birth in abt 1842. In 1851 in Kings Lynn St. Margaret, Norfolk, he is listed as age 43, occupation Lab (Navy) married to Ellen age 46 of Ireland with daughter Sarah 10. Could someone check out if he is listed in the 1861 Census? Or, did he return to Cambridgeshire? Is it also possible to look for a marriage certificate for he and Ellen? Or a death certificate for James? I'm trying to find any leads possible to learn what happened to him after 1851? Were there more children?????
Hello Elizabeth
The 1861 census for Lynn is not indexed and to trawl about 20,000 entries (that's roughly 800 pages) is a lot to ask unless you can narrow down the area.

The 1851 census transcript shows James Spriggs as being a Lab (Nav) - this will be short for Navvy

As far as a second marriage and birth / death certificates, I can only suggest that you first try the freebmd website, which is transcribing the GRO indices. The URL is: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl although incomplete, it does have a large number of entries and is worth checking - especially for teh facility to click on a page number and find other entries on the same page. If you find a reference, then you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

The complete GRO index is available online, on a pay-per-view website, 1837 online.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

elizabeth Ann
07-01-2005, 4:59 PM
Could you please break down this address for me? "KIngs LYnn St. Margaret, Norfolk." From your response, it sounds like "Lynn" is a district or town in the county of Norfolk. Then, what does the "Kings" and St. Margaret" stand for?

I deeply appreciate your help.
Elizabeth

Geoffers
07-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Norfolk Record Office (NRO) has a good website

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/leisure/archives//nroindex.htm (http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/leisure/archives//nroindex.htm)

One of the sections lists the various registers and transcripts held by the record office. On the above home page, scroll down until you see some tables appear, one on the right side of the screen is headed 'Information' and (I think) the 4th link down is 'Parish Registers and Transcripts: Summary'. Select this and then the leter 'L'. SCroll down to 'Lynn' and you'll see a list of various parishes that exist(ed) for King's Lynn, North Lynn, West Lynn and South Lynn.

Back on the NRO home page, scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and you'll see a link to King's Lynn Borough Archives, which gives some information on their holdings.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire