PDA

View Full Version : CB Beardsworth 1925 - Art Teacher

v.wells
29-06-2008, 5:55 PM
This is a two-fold question.

On a marriage certificate the groom is:

Charles Benjamin Beardsworth age 25, bachelor, profession is Art Teacher with residence at marriage 11 Ravensbourne Park, Catford as at November 1925.

I tried googling for a school but couldn't find one, just a map of Catford with what looks to be a very large school there. I would like to find out what school he might have taught at and try to follow his career.

I also found a book called "Pillar in a Box" illustrated by a CB Beardsworth and wondered if anyone had that book and could tell me the biographical details of Beardsworth to see if he is one and the same. I have tried to google for his bio but no joy not even with advance search techno.

Can anyone help?

Mutley
29-06-2008, 6:13 PM
Vanessa, that could be more of a needle in a haystack than normal. Lewisham, Bromley, and virtually the whole of South London was not far away.

I think, even then, the Southern Region trains took you all over...

I don't know if there would be a list of schools run by the old LCC London County Council. Then again, it could be private or a college.

Sorry.

v.wells
29-06-2008, 8:31 PM
I had to leave when the air around me turned blue!:D I got rid of one huge brickwall yesterday but faced this one immediately. But I love |banghead|.

I would still appreciate it if any one can find a bio on this man. He would be my uncle by marriage. Cannot seem to get a handle on him even in the BT directories. He is married to my mysterious aunt Esther Ethel Jenny Wells - I received the marriage cert this week and have found a child which is correct according to my sister. My aunt died in 1968 according to GRO.

Peter Goodey
29-06-2008, 9:30 PM
See Teachers Registration records - available online.

v.wells
29-06-2008, 9:47 PM
See Teachers Registration records - available online.

Thanks Peter:) I don't have a sub with British Origins- too pricey for me! Oh well! Thanks for trying.

blue eyes
29-06-2008, 10:13 PM
It may be St Dunstans College at Stanstead Road. The records are held at Lewisham local history and archives.

Mutley
29-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I haven't googled for it yet but off the top of my head was there not a
National Union of Teachers? Do they have records?

v.wells
30-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I haven't googled for it yet but off the top of my head was there not a
National Union of Teachers? Do they have records?

Apparently the Teacher Registration lists are held by British Origins to which I don't have a sub. Thanks for the top of your head :), I've lost mine:D

v.wells
30-06-2008, 12:58 AM
It may be St Dunstans College at Stanstead Road. The records are held at Lewisham local history and archives.

Thanks Blue eyes - I'll have a hunt and peck for them tomorrow.:D

michaelpipe
30-06-2008, 2:16 AM
The only Beardsworth in the Origins Teachers' Registrations 1870 - 1948 is:
Last Name BEARDSWORTH First Name ELSIE Registration Year 1930 Year of first position 1918, and was in Edge Hill, Liverpool.

No help there.

Maybe he taught privately and didn't need registration

Michael

blue eyes
30-06-2008, 3:31 PM
Hi Vanessa,

I pass Lewisham Archives everyday, so will stop off on the way home from work and see if any thing can be found.

v.wells
30-06-2008, 3:54 PM
Thank you Julie |hug|. That is very kind of you! The antiquities book seller was unable to provide any information on CB Beardsworth.

This is the info:

Charles Benjamin Beardsworth, Art Teacher living at 11 Ravensbourne Park Catford and married to Esther Ethel Jenny Wells, Drapery Clerk, living at 22 Summerfield Street, Lee as at Nov 1925. They also had a daughter Ann born 1934.

v.wells
07-07-2008, 2:19 AM
The only Beardsworth in the Origins Teachers' Registrations 1870 - 1948 is:
Last Name BEARDSWORTH First Name ELSIE Registration Year 1930 Year of first position 1918, and was in Edge Hill, Liverpool.

No help there.

Maybe he taught privately and didn't need registration

Michael

Michael - that conjures up evil thoughts of what kind of "Art Teacher" he was :D. My sister said she remembers talk of them both being a bit "strange"|biggrin|

I have since been in touch with Lewisham Archives and after a look up there have sent me on to Surrey History Centre for the Electoral Rolls to expand on the initials CB as noted on the book. The person at Lewisham after taking my dates and timelines and his look up thinks there is a strong possibility that Charles Benjamin Beardsworth is the author of the book. But I will update this post once I hear back from Surrey.

v.wells
18-07-2008, 1:50 AM
Well, Surrey came back with the expanded initials - indeed it is Charles Benjamin. The dates/times and place addresses all work and since is the closest "claim to fame" our family has I ordered the book as a keepsake (on my son's urging) :D

Surrey also referred me to Elham Library as they may have news clippings in the Elham Herald the local newspaper. It has been much like calling a gov't office, being put on hold and transferred countless times to someone else in authority. But in the end it got results :)

michaelpipe
18-07-2008, 5:03 AM
Good result, and another book to read!! :D:D

v.wells
18-07-2008, 1:59 PM
It's probably a children's book, but should prove to be a quick read. It obviously didn't sell well,BUT it is in an Antiquities book store - so it have some kind of significance that being it is a 1st edition (and only edition). Won't know how many were printed to see it's value.:D

v.wells
25-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Well I received "The Boy Who Became a Pillar-Box" in the good condition as advertised from the bookseller. It is indeed a children's book and it is written and illustrated by my C.B. Beardsworth otherwise known as Charles Benjamin Beardsworth. The front page confirms it as it is "Written for Ann" his daughter, my cousin.

Now I just have to find her!

While I was looking through the book (and yes, I am going to read it) it looked strangely familiar via the illustrations. Either the illustrations are more well know than I thought or I had seen it in my home as a child, possibly a gift from them to my brother. I guess I will never know that answer, but the hunt is on for Ann who could be anywhere!|laugh1|

v.wells
16-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I made a connection to someone related to Charles's mother's side and we have swapped info and then he told me he had seen another book. I googled and lo and behold he had done another book in 1955 so I ordered it from an antiquities bookstore. Another children's book. Hopefully this one will have some sort of biography in it. Meanwhile I have sent off for his daughter's marriage cert.

Climbing up on the fame ladder:)

v.wells
24-11-2008, 8:41 PM
No joy with the second book - he only illustrated it. The publisher was Blackie & Sons, London so may email for information dating back nearly 60 years :D Have also checked Scotlandspeople for a death up there but no luck either. Have just checked the GRO indexes for the umpteenth time and nothing. So I have no idea as to what country he died in. Starting to really irritate me, this fellow |5cups| Maybe he got plucked up to Mars!

v.wells
05-12-2008, 9:20 PM
So now I have the daughter's marriage certificate and have ordered her 2 children's m certs which should hopefully arrive before Christmas.

Esther Ethel Jenny Beardsworth died at Lord Mayor Treloar Orthopaedic Hospital, Alton and her address was Kelmscott, Arford Road, Headley, Alton. CB was the informant and has since disappeared from the face of the planet! His address was the same but Bordon is put in underneath the town of Headley. I am off to google maps and try to find a cemetery near.

Interestingly enough her occupation was listed as press artist, so obviously they were all "arty *arty" in that family, which is odd occupation for him as his father was a farmer - oh well it takes all kinds to make the world go round:D

v.wells
16-12-2008, 3:25 PM
|woohoo| I have finally heard back from a churchwarden in Headley who contacted a couple of funeral directors and I now know where my aunt is buried.

She is at Aldershot Crematorium with her ashes at Plot and row #'s given. I am so pleased to finally knock down this brick wall.:D

The hunt is still on for CBB - the Will I ordered is obviously not his as it confilcts with what I now know. Oh well.

I contacted a person on genes who is affiliated with one of my aunts' children so hopefully they won't take too long to reply. (I hate waiting).

One brick wall down with only a few more to go. The elusive CBB |jedi|

Marie C..
16-12-2008, 6:15 PM
Jolly Good V,
You're on the last lap now. Wonder if he went to Paris or NZ or to the Carribbean?M

v.wells
16-12-2008, 6:36 PM
Planet Mars! I have to mind my language dealing with this lot. :D They are almost as elusive as another lot I have. |5cups|

Jan1954
16-12-2008, 8:15 PM
Vanessa,

The elusive CBB is annoying me as much as you! |rant|

As you know that he was still alive in 1968, when he registered Esther's death, a next step could be to trawl the local directories, such as the Post Office or Kelly's. Find him in 1968 and move up a year at a time.

These are probably available at the Hampshire Records Office (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives) or a large library in a Hampshire town.

Maybe the RO would be able to help (their contact details are on the link) - or maybe you can enlist the services of a forum member who lives in the locale.

Failing that, I will have to go and stay with my father (who lives in Hampshire) and do it myself! |biggrin|

Marie C..
16-12-2008, 9:02 PM
This isn't him is it?(FMP)
Charles Beardsworth death 31 Dec 1888 New Forest(that's in Hampshire) 20, 0239
Marie

v.wells
16-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Sorry Marie. Wrong one! He's right p***ing me off! The daughter is still alive but don't know where yet. I have a contact with a month's sub to 192 and he will now proceed (to probably find nothing). I would ask my sis to do look ups but she's "too busy" and therefore not much help. |nutkick|

As Esther was (her ashes anyway) buried at Aldershot, he must be there somewhere. But I still think it's Mars!:D

Jan thanks for the links. I will try Hampshire RO (only to be told they don't do look ups!)

Mutley
17-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Sorry Marie. Wrong one! He's right p***ing me off!

Oh Vanessa! I did giggle, you are normally sooo 'composed'

v.wells
17-12-2008, 1:43 AM
This better end soon or I'll be in an alcoholic stupor before too long! and I don't drink!

The "ehem" contact on genes has yet to respond - I'm almost spiralling out of control |rant| |5cups|

susan-y
17-12-2008, 2:58 AM
This better end soon or I'll be in an alcoholic stupor before too long! and I don't drink!

The "ehem" contact on genes has yet to respond - I'm almost spiralling out of control |rant| |5cups|

WAY TOO MUCH COFFEE AND COLD WEATHER FOR YOU|scold|

Glad you at least found your aunt's burial...baby-steps, Vanessa, baby-steps:)

Sue

v.wells
17-12-2008, 3:56 AM
Don't touch coffee but way tooo much tea! And can't take any baby steps as I've lost both feet on this one!

Found the idiot in BT Directory 1955-1968 at correct addresses, plus a B Beardsworth also in Kelmscott, Headley - but could be her (she went by Betty) or him (he went by Ben). After 1968 he went to Mars and died out of country! He is not dead in England I have checked again! I am sick of him! I found a death for a Charles in Blackpool/F but fairly certain it's not him as b date doesn't match and the following yr a woman I assume to be a wife died, and it is the wrong location. It's not Mars!

Hampshire newspapers nothing - they have archives going back to 1998 but definitely from 2004 onwards. I got lost trying to manoever? the site!

Marie C..
17-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh V,
I woke in the night suddenly thinking " That date was 1988 wasn't it? It couldn't have said 1888 "and got up and looked on my bit of paper and thought "you daft old bat! he was married in 1925 so that can't be him dead in 1888!"I must have been not thinking straight.
This morn I have been going through fmp but no luck ... Where is the b...........M

Lesley Robertson
17-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Don't touch coffee but way tooo much tea! And can't take any baby steps as I've lost both feet on this one!

Found the idiot in BT Directory 1955-1968 at correct addresses, plus a B Beardsworth also in Kelmscott, Headley - but could be her (she went by Betty) or him (he went by Ben). After 1968 he went to Mars and died out of country! He is not dead in England I have checked again! I am sick of him! I found a death for a Charles in Blackpool/F but fairly certain it's not him as b date doesn't match and the following yr a woman I assume to be a wife died, and it is the wrong location. It's not Mars!

Hampshire newspapers nothing - they have archives going back to 1998 but definitely from 2004 onwards. I got lost trying to manoever? the site!

How late have you been checking? People are living longer and longer - there's even a (very) few folk born around 1900 who are still alive. He could easily have gone on into his 90s.
Or he could have gone off on holiday and died there- have you checked the "deaths abroad" lists? I've checked Scotlands People to 2006, not a single Charles Beardsworth to be found.

It's a funny thing- every time I read this thread, I misread the name as "Beardmore" and then have to correct myself. I guess it's because the second version is more common.
Lesley

Marie C..
17-12-2008, 12:13 PM
V,
Went back over it. When was your Charles born?(If he married in 1925 then he must have been born between 1885-1902.
The death on FMP for a Charles Beardsworth was JUly/Aug/Sept 1974 in New Forest(Hants). The 1888 was his birth year(Dec 31st). Now are you quite sure this is not him? Have you got this cert. Do you know if he was alive after 1974? M

v.wells
17-12-2008, 3:28 PM
Marie - he was born 1900, I have the b cert and marriage cert 1925.

Lesley - I have checked complete BMD from 1968-1983 and 1983 to current, plus Scotland's People. I don't think he died in UK as have used all variations of names. Beardsworth is uncommon. As yet have not been contacted by the genes person - very inconsiderate!

I may have to start a new trail and see if he had any siblings although it makes searching more difficult from 1900 to 1912 without mother's maiden name listed. I have noticed a small handful of deaths in the Surrey/London area (not his) so I may have to try and back track and see what I can pick up. His father came from a large family in the Preston area, but Charles father appeared to be the only one who went to London and from what I've seen he had different aspirations for himself and Charles definitely did by becoming an artist (but not famous enough to find)!.

Marie C..
17-12-2008, 3:53 PM
Yes V,
If you have the birth cert then that is that, the death in 1974 is not his. I had hoped he might be a bit of a liar age -wise but birth cert proves his age.
So where he went to after 1968 remains a mystery.
Yes I see all the Beardsworths from up North.But no Charles.
Wonder if his wife made a will?

M

v.wells
17-12-2008, 6:16 PM
No she didn't and one can't be found for him since I don't know when he may have died. If he died on Mars then his will (if he had one) would have been probated in the UK, but everything would have gone to his daughter, my cousin whom I have yet to locate either and she is still alive! She had to marry someone with a more common surname.

She has 1 son who is also being elusive but I have received his m cert and know his occupation so there is always some form of hope. Although mine is dwindling faster than a speeding bullet!:D

v.wells
17-12-2008, 7:49 PM
A non-relative on CBB's mother's side is helping out and we now think they have all emigrated to NZ! Have started a new post with massive hopes that something may pan out.

None of whom I am looking for are on electoral rolls, bmd's or anything in England but Ann's husband was a swimming pool contractor and there is a suspicion they are located in NZ:D

v.wells
19-12-2008, 8:08 PM
We found who we were looking for on the 2007 electoral rolls in Woking! Ann's son (at least that is what I am hoping) and since no phone # listed am going to dash off a letter today. Here's hoping it's correct person and that he does the right thing by replying! :D

v.wells
18-01-2009, 4:13 PM
We found who we were looking for on the 2007 electoral rolls in Woking! Ann's son (at least that is what I am hoping) and since no phone # listed am going to dash off a letter today. Here's hoping it's correct person and that he does the right thing by replying! :D

|jumphappy|jumphappy I have found them:D Through a contact on GR, I now have an address in Portugal for CB's daughter Ann, my cousin and have asked a special person to help me in contacting them.

No wonder I couldn't find them! I just new they had gone to warmer climates. I am so pleased I can't think straight!(Not that I ever could):D

Jan1954
18-01-2009, 4:18 PM
|jumphappy That's great, Vanessa! |hug| Happy dances all round!

v.wells
18-01-2009, 4:25 PM
|jumphappy That's great, Vanessa! |hug| Happy dances all round!

I'ts almost anticlimatic :D

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts on this horrid search!

Marie C..
18-01-2009, 4:54 PM
Wonderful V,
You deserve to have found them as you never gave up and went where others wouldn't have had the courage to go.I'm happy for you. M

*bunty*
21-01-2009, 1:13 AM
So CBB went to Portugal??? It's a long way from New Zealand ;). Well done you! :D

v.wells
21-01-2009, 2:26 AM
Thanks Bunty. I suppose he died there but I won't know the nitty gritty 'til I make contact with the daughter, my cousin!Her and hubby must have dragged him off there to bask in the sun and warmth :D

v.wells
10-02-2009, 8:05 PM
It is the end of this story! Cousin Ann is not interested in knowing anything and didn't provide a return address or any other info either. I can only assume that CBB died in Portugal and that is that. I would have liked a photo of my aunt though |sad1| and some fleshing out of their lives.

Lesley Robertson
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
It is the end of this story! Cousin Ann is not interested in knowing anything and didn't provide a return address or any other info either. I can only assume that CBB died in Portugal and that is that. I would have liked a photo of my aunt though |sad1| and some fleshing out of their lives.

Was Ann an only child?
Lesley

v.wells
11-02-2009, 3:37 PM
Yes, and her children went to Portugal too. So no help there. A real let down for sure.

Mutley
11-02-2009, 4:09 PM
I'll try and find out about registration in Portugal. I do know that a death does not have to be notified to the British Consulate unless the relatives wanted to.

I also know that most are buried though the body can be sent up north to be cremated as some English are.

The church local to where they lived was São Lourenço in Almancil. Beautiful church but I know nothing about where records will be kept. I will see if I can find out that also.

susan-y
11-02-2009, 5:03 PM
Chin up Vanessa!|hug|

I'm sure Mutley is part blood-hound..http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Cats_and_Dogs/dog14.gif

She'll track 'em down!

Sue

v.wells
11-02-2009, 5:46 PM
Chin up Vanessa!|hug|

I'm sure Mutley is part blood-hound..http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Cats_and_Dogs/dog14.gif

She'll track 'em down!

Sue

Mutley is a super blood-hound, and I can't thank her enough |hug|. All Ann said was that she remembered 2 of my aunts and when her mother died they had no further contact with my family - grandparents or anybody. - and that it should be left at that. They all moved to Portugal (it seems in a hurry)

My sister thinks there were a lot of hard feelings to do with my grandparents, which if I knew the story, would solve a lot of mystery surrounding my father's siblings and why some of them have been so difficult to find.

I wouldn't mind some dirty laundry about now as I can't find any black sheep in any of my lines :D Ho Hum Boring!