PDA

View Full Version : Surname Negrot - Origin?

MickyMutt
23-06-2008, 10:57 PM
My Grandfather's first marriage in 1888 was to a Philomena Negrot. Her father was George Negrot. There was also a Eugene and a Dominque Negrot living in Melbourne, Vic around the same time (between 1850 and 1890). Does anyone know anything of the origin of the name? :confused:

pipsqueak
24-06-2008, 2:00 AM
I was thinking it sounded French for "negro" (it isn't exactly, at least in modern french) but you might be interested in this: NEGROT family name in France (http://www.geopatronyme.com/nomcarte/NEGROT) I'm afraid it's all in French, but it shows a map and lists places where this has occurred as a surname.

MickyMutt
24-06-2008, 9:05 AM
Thanks for the tip. I did some extra research today and found that when my grandfather's first wife signed her name she signed it as "Negrot" but all the BDM references were to "Negro". I subsequently found that her father came from Havre de Grace in France. I had been looking at this question on and off for six months but just by asking for help I was motivated to do some extra work and 'voila' (that's about the limit of my French but I will check out the site anyway)

thanks again

Mick

salcat
24-06-2008, 2:36 PM
Mick

The site seems to show the distribution of names within France. Your Negrot has only been recorded in one "departement" (administrative district) since 1891.

"Naiss" is an abbreviation of naissance - births, so there have been 6 births in the area over this period.

In the section headed LEUR GÉNÉALOGIE on the left below the map is a list of other departements where the name has occurred at different times. If you click on "plus d'info" (more information), they will tell you the number and type of events (décès = deaths) in each region.

The section headed LEUR HISTOIRE shows that the name is recorded in the list of victims of the two world wars. The interesting thing about this is that the name occurs in the list of victims in the French overseas colonies (Guadeloupe, Guyane, Martinique, Réunion, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, Algérie, Maroc et Tunisie.)

Hope this helps

Sally

(my French is better at building terminology!! I can talk about holes in the roof and plumbing:D)

salcat
24-06-2008, 2:49 PM
Havre de Grace is another name for Le Havre, the port at the mouth of the river Seine. It is in Seine Maritime, which is department no 76, which is not mentioned on the french website as having instances of that name. Could it have been that that was his port of embarkation and there was confusion about the question "where have you come from?"

There is also a place called Havre de Grace in Maryland USA, just to confuse things, but if there was a connection to one of the W Indian French colonies, I suppose that its possible that there was a link.

Good Luck

Sally

MickyMutt
24-06-2008, 9:04 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I now know far more than I did a week ago. And while I'm not in the Negrot direct line it does tell me something of my grandfather's life prior to the death of his first wife.
Michael