PDA

View Full Version : WHITE , Anna

Roy Faulkes
21-06-2008, 5:57 PM
Could anyone advise where I might check and confirm a Birth Listing of a British Subject in the Ionian Island of Corfu in 1840 ?
Anna WHITE born there and her Father's name was Daniel WHITE , whom I suspect was serving there at a British Army or Naval Garrison ?
Mothers name is unknown at the moment.
I also found reference to her name as born at Vido , which is a small garrison Island in the Harbour at Corfu.
Any help would be appreciated ,
Thank you ,
Roy

Jan1954
21-06-2008, 6:14 PM
Check the indexes to the army births. If you find a reference you can order a certificate via the GRO.

See Peter's post (number 3) here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22928&highlight=army+births) and listen to the podcast if you can.

Peter Goodey
21-06-2008, 6:42 PM
Indeed.

The likeliest places to look would be the GRO Ionian Islands Chaplains' Returns, Civil Registration and Military Registration indexes. These are all available online.

If you already have the index information, you simply order the birth certificate from Overseas Branch of GRO.

Of course you could just order it without the reference from the indexes.

bjelkier
21-06-2008, 6:51 PM
The GRO Ionian Chaplains Returns - Births (1818 - 1864) has Anna White born in Vido {11 : 202}.

Roy Faulkes
23-06-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the reference. I can go further now .
Much appreciated ,
Roy