PDA

View Full Version : David John Pass - b 1887 Swansea

Alice B
27-05-2008, 7:05 PM
First post - and a problem: confused:

I have my grandfather as above in the 1891 Wales Census (RG12 Piece 4476 Folio 69 Page 11) as staying with relatives. His mother, Hannah (nee Davies) was widowed, so I suppose the children were looked after by others.

His sister Lily appears on the 1901 (RG13 Piece 5015 Folio 8 Page 34), again with relatives, but I cannot see anything of him (given the variations on the surname - he was later known as 'Passe, but I have found records for the family as 'Bass'!) to fit into 1901.

Hannah re-married (I think 1901 to a William Vaughan) and I have checked for possible entries for David there, but no luck.

He was only 14, so where on earth could he be?

I have looked until I am (not quite yet) blue in the face |banghead| - can anyone help please, I'd be so grateful.

Alice B

Jan1954
27-05-2008, 7:12 PM
Hello Alice,

I'll have a rummage in the 1901 census shortly (unless someone beats me to it :D) but first, the marriage of Hannah and William Vaughan. It appears to have taken place in 1900:

Marriages Mar 1900
Cahill Catherine Cardiff 11a 452
Pass Hannah Cardiff 11a 452
Thomas Thomas Cardiff 11a 452
Vaughan William Cardiff 11a 452

Hope this helps.

Alice B
27-05-2008, 7:38 PM
Thanks Jan- I thought that would be right. I can't remember off-hand the date of the 1901 census - as they married in the March qtr he could be lurking under 'Vaughan' or a mistranscription of 'Pass'.

We troll on ............|banghead|

Alice

Jan1954
27-05-2008, 7:39 PM
Well, like you, I've tried every permutation that I can think of, but no luck.

What did he do in later life? Could he be in an occupation that would take him offshore, such as cabin boy in the Navy or on board a fishing vessel?

Alice B
27-05-2008, 8:05 PM
His father (Stephen John) was a confectioner.

The only vague clues are that he was a miner later on in life and then served in the 1914-18 war (can't find a record of that either!) He could have ben employed in the mines at 14, but surely he should have been on the census.

He really has me befuddled. His later life was also complicated, but I've managed to unravel that with a lot of help, but this one seems to be a non-starter. His roots were firmly in Wales, my father was born there, so I can't see that he would have strayed cross-border.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts Jan - much appreciated.

Alice

Alice B
14-06-2008, 6:51 PM
Ha - update on above. I have received today the marriage cert for Hannah and William. I thought that I had better check that she did marry him, because I thought David John may have been entered as their son in the 1901 census.

Good job I did - because Hannah did marry William - but it ain't the right Hannah|dunce2|!

So, back to square one. I cannot see a marriage or death for Hannah (b Swansea 1867) and I still can't find my grandfather on the 1901 |banghead|.

Oh well, another scoop of vino collapso is called for :D !

Alice

Alice B
27-06-2008, 7:31 PM
:)

Alice B
27-06-2008, 7:48 PM
You remember maybe when we couldn't find him - well, after ordering the wrong cert of marriage (to William Vaughan), I was bemoaning this with my cousin. We don't see each other often, but he's interested in the elusive Hannah Pass (as was) as well. 'Oh', says he casually, 'my Dad always said that David John was brought up by the Arnold family'. So, off I scuttle, back to the look-ups and there he is in 1901 as 'John Arnold', coalminer/hewer, which is what he was in later life, right place and date of birth, with mother Hannah, married in 1894 to Alfred Arnold |jumphappy .

I am awaiting the marriage cert, but I think that this is a definite :D .

Obviously, I had no idea of this history and had accepted the 'general view' that she had married William Vaughan. No wonder I couldn't see him let alone trace him.

So, thanks to Dave, problem 99.9% solved - I am sooo pleased - and apologies for the 'red herrings'. Lesson - never believe 100% what you are told, particularly in family history |woohoo|

Alice

pipsqueak
27-06-2008, 8:57 PM
Very happy for you!

(Pity I didn't see that post before I spent the past 40 minutes trying to help! |banghead| my own fault - I keep forgetting to look at page 2..)

Jan1954
28-06-2008, 8:55 PM
Hey Jan - I've found David John Passe in 1901!!
Excellent news!

You are so right - family stories and assumptions might be based on a grain of truth, but always check them out. :D