PDA

View Full Version : Parish records for St. Mary's church in Clapham , Sussex

Dorothy
28-12-2004, 7:54 PM
Does anyone know where I could access the parish records for this church? Perhaps I could buy the fiches or booklet if one is published.

Geoffers
28-12-2004, 9:43 PM
Does anyone know where I could access the parish records for this church? Perhaps I could buy the fiches or booklet if one is published.
The relevant County Record Office is usually a good place to start - or you might try the Familhy History Society for the county, also you may find that you can hire copies of the registers on film from one of the many mormon church (LDS) record centres.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Dorothy
30-12-2004, 8:41 PM
A member of the SFHG looked through the unindexed census searching through several parishes where she knew I was looking but didn't find any HENSONs but they must have moved to other parts of Sussex. Thanks for your suggestions. Shall ask at the local LDS when it opens.

Dorothy
30-12-2004, 8:47 PM
Sorry Geoffers , I mixed up my two requests !! Apparently the records were destroyed and one has to consult the Bishop's transcripts which are not too legible:-) but I will carry on regardless .
Dorothy

Dorothy
13-01-2005, 8:07 PM
I'm still trying to find out births between 1824 and 1830 in St. Mary's Church , Clapham and I need to find out where to access the Bishop's transcripts for same. The LDS don't have all the records for this church ..only a few odd ones.

Dorothy
03-02-2005, 8:15 PM
The librarian at the Sussex library ( public) looked through the IGI then the VRC and found my elusive great grandfather's baptism in Patching. I have these CDs but I didn't know that he was born in Sussex till recently and he did subtract a few years off his age ....5 or 6 at times:-) Phew... that is one huge problem solved!

Dorothy
10-02-2005, 7:21 PM
A very kind soul found my HENSONs on the 1841 in Durrington. Some children had died but my Ggrandfather is there with his family probably the last time on a census. In 1861 he was getting married in Edinburgh.......quite a trail to find his beginnings:-)