PDA

View Full Version : Dieckmann/Tiedeman

oldsplice
17-04-2008, 4:37 PM
My 3x great-grandparents on my mother's paternal side were:

Katherine Tiedeman (b 12 June 1797, bap 9th July 1797 at Spitalfields Christ Church)and William Dieckman. They were married at the above church on 25th December 1820.

William is recorded as a stonemason in the 1841 Census, with his place of birth as 'Foreign Parts'

Katherine's parents were Henry and Elizabeth Tiedeman. According to the 1841 Census, Henry was a stonemason, born approx 1766 but not in this country.

Does anyone have any idea where they could have originated from? My mum told me that apparently there was German ancestry in the family, but as my knowledge of geography is pretty cack at the best of times, (along with sums!)|blush| I have no idea about the old German/Prussian/Hanoverian type stuff.

I would be pathetically grateful for any help! :D

busyglen
17-04-2008, 5:43 PM
I did a name search and both seem to originate from Germany.

Diekman(n) seems to be a German/Jewish nickname for a stout and thickset man. (Or so the information says!)

Tiedman, appears to be first found in Northern Germany and particularly Hamburg.

Hope this may be of some help.

Glenys

busyglen
17-04-2008, 5:48 PM
Found this site which might help you.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/germany

Glenys

oldsplice
17-04-2008, 7:03 PM
Thanks Glenys! |hug|

The later generations lived in Bethnal Green/Shoreditch areas amonst silk weavers etc. I would love to find out more about the earlier generations, where they came from and what made them move over here in the first place.