PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Engineering Works Leiston Suffolk

Narelle
01-04-2008, 3:30 AM
Hello All,
I am researching the Harrison family who apparently owned their own engineering works in Leiston.

Harry Catling married Ethel Minnie Harrison who is supposed to be a daughter of one of the "engineering" Harrison's. I have just found Ethel and her parents in the 1881 UK census and her father James B. Harrison (b. Forncett Norfolk c 1852) was an engineer's clerk. This is close but not what I was expecting. I cannot find who James father was but I my have his grandparents who are caring for James aged 8 in the 1861 census. They were Samuel and Caroline Harrison living in the parish of Pulham St Mary the Virgin.

Ethel's mother was Eliza Hildyard born in Woodbridge Suffolk c 1849.

Can anyone point me in the direction of more information on the Harrison Engineering works in Leiston if in fact such a place existed? Any other family related info would also be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Narelle

Jan1954
01-04-2008, 6:42 AM
Hello Narelle,

The engineering works did exist - in fact I was at their museum only a couple of months ago. It's a fascinating place and some of my people ended up working there as they had lived and worked as farm labourers up the road at Theberton, but more money was to be made in factory work.The company made steam engines of all descriptions.

The museum website can be found here: http://www.longshop.care4free.net/

Geoffers
01-04-2008, 8:33 AM
Anyone replying to this thread should also check a corresponding thread for Harrison in Norfolk (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28020)just to avoid duplicating information.

Narelle
06-04-2008, 1:15 PM
Hi Geoffers,
Thanks so much for the info and link to the museum. Do you recall seeing any information about the Harrisons when you visited there? I will try and contact the museum to see if they can shed some light on the Harrison family.
Kindest regards
Narelle

Jan1954
06-04-2008, 1:35 PM
Hello Narelle,

It was me who went to the museum...

I don't recall any references to the Harrisons at all. It was the Garrett family who built up the works (connected to Elizabeth Garrett Anderson of medical fame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Garrett_Anderson )

I'm wondering if your sources have embelished the truth slightly in light of what you have already found out. :o

However, I would love to be proved wrong :)

Narelle
06-04-2008, 1:55 PM
Hi Jan,
My apologies,
It's late over here in Aus and maybe I should wear my glasses.... Maybe you should hand your "daft Bat" moniker over to me;0)

It wouldn't be the first time a destroyed a good family story. Apparently there is some connection to the engineers in Leiston and the Harrison family. James Brewster Harrison's occupation in the 1881 and 1901 census is shown as "Engineers Clerk" so maybe that is the only connection to the Engineering works at Leiston. We should never let the truth get in the way of a good story Hey!!

Will keep plodding along and see what time brings up.
Many thanks and sorry for the error.
Kindest regards
Narelle

Jan1954
06-04-2008, 2:04 PM
Hi Jan,
My apologies, No problem :D

Maybe you should hand your "daft Bat" moniker over to me Nope! You have a long, long way to catch me up!

Let us know what you uncover.

Narelle
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Jan,
Will let you know how my sleuthing goes.
Narelle

LESLEY S
07-04-2008, 4:46 PM
Hi Narella

A Mr. J.B. Harrison was a Personal Secretary to Frank Garrett Snr. at the Leiston works, but don't know what date it was.

Lesley

Narelle
13-04-2008, 7:13 AM
Hi Lesley,
Thanks for that info. I would say that it is quite likely this is the James Brewster Harrison I am looking for. As he was an engineer's clerk it seems to fit that he could be Frank Garrett's personal secretary. In the 1881 and 1901 census J. B. Harrison was an engineer's clerk. In 1891 he was a commercial clerk. Can you tell me where you got this information from?
Many thanks
Narelle

LESLEY S
15-04-2008, 4:18 PM
Hi Narelle

The information came from a booklet I bought at the Long Shop Museum, it has photo's taken in Leiston about a hundred years ago. One of the pictures has written next to it "While the two occupants look remarkably alike the man on the left if Frank Garrett Snr. The other is his personal secretary Mr. J.B. Harrison".

I can't put the photo on the web because of copyright regs. The Museum may be able to help, you have their e.mail address from a earlier post I think?

The booklet is called "Life in the town the Garretts built, Leiston a century ago in pictures by J.S. Waddell".

Hope this is of help to you.

Lesley

Narelle
15-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Hello Lesley,
Many thanks for this info. I will definitely email them and ask for a booklet.
Narelle

Narelle
07-05-2008, 1:19 PM
Hello Lesley S,
So many thanks for your mention of the book with JB Harrison in it. A lovely man from the Long Shop is sending me a copy of the book and has also gathered some other info for me too. He is also asking a few of the notables in Leiston about the Harrison family. I am really happy that I have been able to stir up some interest in Leiston over the family and that they have been so keen to help me out.

I will let you know how it goes when I receive the booklet.
Again many thanks for your help.
Regards
Narelle

Narelle
31-05-2008, 7:29 AM
Hello Lesley S,
JUst a quick note to say I have received the inforamtion from the Long Shop and the photograph you originally mentioned of J.B Harrison is brilliant. It is currently being circulated amongst the family as no one has ever seen a photo of J.B. Harrison before.

Thanks so much for assisting me in finding out the real story of Harrison and the engineering works at Leiston. The book also had a photo in it of my husband's GGgrandfather Catling's butcher shop. What a bonus.

Many thanks
Narelle

LESLEY S
01-06-2008, 2:29 PM
Hello Narelle

Pleased to hear the booklet has arrived and that is has helped in your research, it's always nice to find a photo of your ancestors that you can put a name to. Glad to have been of help.

Regards Lesley