PDA

View Full Version : GED FILE, HOW DO I OPEN IT PLEASE>

SUSSEXDER
17-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi,
DER here, :o Please can some one tell me how to open a Ged file, attached to an E-mail, I received this morning
Its an important file I need.
Thankyou.
Sussexder.

Alan Welsford
17-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Are you using some kind of computer program for your family tree, (e.g. Family Tree Maker, or similar).

Nearly all should be able to open a GED (or GEDCOM) file.

If you are not, all is not lost, as there are undoubtedly freely downloadable programs that can.

MarkJ
17-03-2008, 12:41 PM
The easiest thing is to import it into your family history program if you have one. Make sure the ged doesn't have the same name as one of your own - otherwise you may find yourself overwriting data!
Alternatively, a gedcom .ged file is technically just a text file so you *can* view it with a text editor (notepad for example) - but it won't be in a very easy to follow format and if there are more than a few names, you will be wasting your time!

SUSSEXDER
17-03-2008, 12:47 PM
The easiest thing is to import it into your family history program if you have one. Make sure the ged doesn't have the same name as one of your own - otherwise you may find yourself overwriting data!
Alternatively, a gedcom .ged file is technically just a text file so you *can* view it with a text editor (notepad for example) - but it won't be in a very easy to follow format and if there are more than a few names, you will be wasting your time!
Thank you for your help. Mark and Alan.
I will try to do it.
DER,

SUSSEXDER
17-03-2008, 1:08 PM
Are you using some kind of computer program for your family tree, (e.g. Family Tree Maker, or similar).

Nearly all should be able to open a GED (or GEDCOM) file.

If you are not, all is not lost, as there are undoubtedly freely downloadable programs that can.

Alan, I have my tree on A-----y. I know I sound a complete DER,
But I just do not know how to get the Gedcom file from my E-mail to the Tree.:o
DER.

v.wells
17-03-2008, 2:30 PM
Export directly from A* to your desktop and then import it directly into your FTM. It will not open unless you have a tree maker prog on your pc.

Had the same thing a couple weeks ago. If email attachment try saving the attachment onto desktop - right click the attachment and tell it to export/copy/save to desktop. Hope that works!

Sandyhall
17-03-2008, 2:41 PM
hi
A******y has very good instructions on how to do this in their HELP section.
I have done it many times. Uploading and Downloading.
Sandy

Alan Welsford
17-03-2008, 2:46 PM
Alan, I have my tree on A-----y. I know I sound a complete DER,
But I just do not know how to get the Gedcom file from my E-mail to the Tree.:o
DER.

It sounds like you don't have a family tree program on your PC.

You are just using the facility on the Ancestry site to build and store your tree online.

You can certainly upload a GEDCOM file into Ancestry, but I'm not able to say whether it will append to your existing tree. It could just overwrite it, (hopefully not without warning you first, but you never know |computer|). I think that's what happens on Genes Reunited, for example, (i.e. it will completely REPLACE your existing tree), although I could be wrong.

You need advice from someone who has tried this - I haven't. (I regularly used GEDCOM to exchange data, but load it via a PC program.

Alan

Neil Wilson
17-03-2008, 6:06 PM
Have a google around from a freeware/shareware program for Gedcom, there used to be one years ago which then let you save to another format, try geneotree, which is the first one I came across.

SUSSEXDER
17-03-2008, 8:03 PM
Well, I don't know how I did it. But I did.!!
Thanks every one.
DER.

MartinM
18-03-2008, 6:15 AM
As a side issue to this thread, does anyone know whether a ged file can be read by MS Access? If so can a family tree file be saved in the ged format by Access also?

Just out of interest because I have some large access databases.

Many thanks
Martin

dajashby
18-03-2008, 7:11 AM
Have a look at this:

http://www.gedmagic.com/GEDxlate.htm

Don't know if it's any good...

Ed McKie
20-03-2008, 7:20 AM
As anothr side issue on this.

If one is only using a web based site to store family history data, either your own, or supplied by others, what happens if you dont renew your subscription ? Or the site dissapears ? Do you still have all your data ???

Cheers..Ed

dajashby
21-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Most sites that I'm aware of allow you to import/export gedcom files. My advice would be (1) avoid sites that don't, (2) take regular backups of your data, and (3) consider running genealogy software on your PC - although I confess to getting into the occasional mess with merging stuff into my local file!