PDA

View Full Version : Died Belgium, Buried?

Chisel
15-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I am looking for Grace Markland nee Sisson. Born Preston, Eng 1894. Died Aalst (Alost) Belium 1929, complications from birth of son Howard James.
Husband, Norman & son returned to England, remarried and emmigrated to Canada where they died.

A fellow in Belgium has helped me greatly by checking the cemetery records at Aalst and Erembodegem. Grace died on the border of the 2 towns.
" "La Houblonnière" was the last number of the Chaussée de Bruxelles on the territory of the town Aalst in that time" This was a farm house. Norman was a mill manager.
Grace came from a Roman Catholic family and is not buried in the family grave in Preston. She is listed on the grave though. Unless they buried her ashes unofficially?
The grave inscription reads "also Gnr Frank SISSON 3735 1st/5th Hants Bty RFA, Their son died at Kut-el-Amara, May 31st 1916 aged 35 years, also Grace wife of Norman MARKLAND died April 13th 1929 aged 34 years,"
Were WW1 bodies returned home from Iraq? If so then maybe Grace is there also?

1. What is the likely hood of Grace being transported out of town to a different cemetery?
2. Where bodies cremated in 1929 Belgium?
3. Are crematoriums separate from cemeteries? Eg I should be looking for crematium records.
4. If she was returned to England would she most likely be in the husbands family grave or wifes family?
5. Where to from here?|banghead|

Geoffers
16-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Grace Markland nee Sisson.Died Aalst Belgium 1929, Husband, Norman & son returned to England, remarried and emigrated to Canada where they died. Grace came from a Roman Catholic family and is not buried in the family grave in Preston.

Did she leave a will in which she mentioned what she wanted doing with her body?

Any newspaper announcements about burial/cremation?

The grave inscription reads "also Gnr Frank SISSON 3735 1st/5th Hants Bty RFA, Their son died at Kut-el-Amara, May 31st 1916 aged 35 years.....Were WW1 bodies returned home from Iraq?

Bodies were not returned home, quite apart from anything else, the logistics of returning so many bodies would be a nightmare.

1. What is the likely hood of Grace being transported out of town to a different cemetery?

It's possible

2. Where bodies cremated in 1929 Belgium?

I believe they were.

3. Are crematoriums separate from cemeteries? Eg I should be looking for crematium records.

Yes

4. If she was returned to England would she most likely be in the husbands family grave or wifes family?

It's impossible to say - hunting down graves often causes problems, especially when someone died away from their place of origin, or where they may have regarded as a family home.

Your best chances are a will (unlikely if she died young) or newspaper announcements - but where you look for them is another problem.

Chisel
16-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Hadn't thought of searching for a will. However since Howard & Grace were only over there for a short time I would not think that the will, will be that specific. That said I think it is still worth searching for.

I mentioned Frank's inscription along with Grace's because they imply that they may be there. Just checking.

Trouble with foreign countries (including Canada) is that sometimes they don't normally speak English so very hard to search written text.|banghead|

I'll also check with my Belium about searching crematorium records.

Cheers

Geoffers
17-03-2008, 7:16 AM
Trouble with foreign countries (including Canada) is that sometimes they don't normally speak English so very hard to search written text.

You'll find that those in the Flemish areas of Belgium are very largely tri-lingual and communication is not a problem. If you do get any documents in written in Dutch, there are a few of us on these forums who can interpret for you.