PDA

View Full Version : German Birth Certificate - How To Obtain

robinia
23-02-2008, 6:13 AM
On the marriage certificate for my grandparents Max Ernst Albert Bremer and Minna Marie Werner, it shows that Minna was born 16 march 1900 in Hilgesdorf, district Neuhaldensleben (Registery Office Flechtingen No. 13).

Could anyone tell me where I should apply, to obtain a copy of her birth certificate. Is there a central German government registry website where I can apply online or a list of registry offices somewhere?

Geoffers
23-02-2008, 7:22 AM
I don't know - never had to obtain one. If no one else on the forums knows, a phone call to the German Embassy in the country where you live should hopefully provide you with details of how, where and cost.

AnnB
23-02-2008, 7:45 AM
I haven't a clue either, but you could try asking the Anglo German Family History Society http://www.agfhs.org.uk/

Best wishes
Ann

Mike_E
23-02-2008, 11:06 AM
You ave to apply to the office where the BDM was registered. I too have to get German Certs as my Mother was German.

You can only get certificates for Blood relatives in direct line, so in my case I was unable to obtain any records for my Grandmothers 12 siblings. Records are also locked from 1875 forwards from the public, so if you were hoping to find siblings and the like, you can only access records back from then.

I'll do a search and find the right office address and post details later. If you are not a German speaker it does make finding the correct office hard, but most will answers letters written in English.

Titanicfan
18-04-2008, 1:21 PM
Hi Mike E, I am having a similar problem at the moment, but I am helping a fellow member of the British Titanic Society in researching a passenger who originated from Berlin. Unfortunately, I have hit a very large brick wall because as you mentioned, only blood relatives can obtain copies of birth certificates. I found out where she was born from the IGI but no further source information was listed. Jewish societies in Germany have also been contacted but there is no information listed and she definately returned to Germany from the US. We have also check with New York City regarding her husband's naturalization records, and other sources in New York but we have been unsuccessful there also. We have checked her details on ship's passenger lists, including the Titanic but this does not offer much information regarding Berlin.

Do you have any other ideas on how I could find out more about her and her family regarding Berlin?

|banghead|