PDA

View Full Version : Origins of this name?

juliadavies43
10-02-2008, 6:28 PM
One of the names I am researching is Phypers - this is the anglicised version of a Dutch(?) name which is probably spelt Pijpers - there are other versions including Vypers. I have also been told by a Canadian member of the Phypers family that it may be a Flemish name originally and that the original Pijpers settled in the Fenland area working on the draingage of that area. My branch of the family moved to Cambridgeshire and then to Barkway in Herts where my direct link comes in. I have a substantial amount of information about this line if anyone is interested but have failed to find much about the people who came over orignally to work on the Fens. Has anyone any information which may help regarding immigrant labour in the 16th, 17th centuries?

Thanks in anticipation!

Mike_E
10-02-2008, 8:12 PM
Hi,

given that you think the name may be Dutch, or Flemish, you could try the Genlias project in the Netherlands. You could try a search on there using the variations of spelling you have.

http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp

searching is free, as is seeing transcribed entries, you only pay if you want a copy of the record. Good old Dutch have the site in both Dutch and English, the link below is to the English version. I've used this site to research my Dutch ancestry with very good results. There is also a link into Belgian record there too.

Try this one for a more General Netherlands searching by region.
http://www.geneaknowhow.net/digi/resources.html

Geoffers
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
There have been a lot of Flemish immigrants in Norfolk over time, which has led to inclusion of several Flemish words in Norfolk dialect. Many workers from the Netherlands worked on draining the fens - you might look at "The drainage of the Fens" by Rev.Dr. R.L.Hills, published by Landmark in 2003.

daleaway
10-02-2008, 11:05 PM
"Pijp" is Dutch for "pipe", so maybe your family were drainlayers back to the time surnames first came into use!