PDA

View Full Version : KULICZKOWSKI the mysterious Pole

Joe90
24-01-2008, 6:04 PM
Hallo, I'm new to this forum and I am joining with my glass half full.
I have limited information on Jan Kuliczkowski as you will see. I have checked for naturalization, registration as an alien also record of marriage, without success.

J.K. born 1804 Poland ( date deduced from death certificate )

20th July 1857, Recorded as father on his son's birth certificate, occupation shoemaker. Mother Christiana Nicholson, address 3,Chapel Street, St George's East, Middlesex (London).

1861, census living at 14,Duke Street, St George's East Middlesex, (London) with Christiana (surname recorded as Kuliczkowski) and daughter Margaret.

5th December 1869, daughter Margaret's wedding certificate, father's name, John Kuliczkowski, signature of witnesses Robert and Sophia Alderson.

18th December 1869, at 8, Essex Street, Bethnal Green Middlesex, aged 65 years Jan passed away, death reported by Margaret, 13 days following her marriage.

Whilst searching for a Polish forum I uncovered a Polish site listing marriages up-to 1899 and found four wedding's with the name of Kuliczkowski - three grooms and a bride - the addresses appear to be in the suburbs of Krakow'. I e-mailed the State Archieves at Krakow', included the above information in the hope there may be some connection with the Kuliczkowki's.

Also Christiana is something of a mystery, she may have been born in Limehouse but, there may be a Scottish connection, her father perhaps as it is a Scottish name.

I would appreciate any comment's, thoughts or suggestions as I'm fast running out of Panadol tablets|banghead||banghead|.

Joe90.

Joe90
30-01-2008, 5:17 PM
Hallo, and thank you for your welcome. At the time of my first posting I didn't think I would be back so soon shouting |help||help|.
Prior to my first posting I e-mailed the State Archieves at Krakow' Poland with the details contained in my posting seeking some guideance. Today I received the following reply|help||help||help| I can't speak or read Polish, - no laughing please -. Are there any translators in this Forum willing to |help|.

Thank you.
Joe.

Szanowny Panie,

W odpowiedzi na Pana pismo, Archiwum Państwowe w Krakowie uprzejmie informuje iż przeprowadzenie kwerendy w sprawie Pana rodziny wymaga dodatkowych informacji. Archiwa państwowe w Polsce gromadzą materiały archiwalne zgodnie z zasadą przynależności terytorialnej wobec czego prosimy o wyjaśnienie w jaki sposób Pana przodkowie, w tym Jan Kuliczkowski był związany z Krakowem, Galicją.

Dla potrzeb poszukiwań genealogicznych prosimy także o podanie dokładnych informacji o poszukiwanej osobie tj. miejsca jej urodzenia, małżeństwa. Archiwum Państwowe w Krakowie uprzejmie informuje, że posiada w swoim zasobie akta metrykalne z terenu kilkudziesięciu krakowskich i podkrakowskich parafii. Odnalezienie w tych (przeważnie niezindeksowanych księgach) aktu urodzenia, małżeństwa, bez podania miejscowości, w której urodziła się lub mieszkała poszukiwana osoba, nie jest możliwe.

Ponadto informujemy, że archiwa państwowe w Polsce nie posiadają żadnych zbiorczych indeksów do przechowywanej dokumentacji, dlatego znalezienie informacji na podstawie nazwiska osoby, nie jest możliwe.

Informujemy także, iż dane o rozmieszczeniu akt metrykalnych znajdujących się w zasobie archiwów w całej Polsce dostępne są w bazie danych PRADZIAD na stronie internetowej http://www.archiwa.gov.pl (również w wersji anglojęzycznej).

Archiwum Państwowe w Krakowie

Małgorzata Klimas

Jan1954
30-01-2008, 6:22 PM
|idea| If no-one on the forum is able to translate this for you, you could try throwing "Polish English Translation" into your search engine. A number of free translation sites come up.

Do a copy/paste, hit "translate" and keep your fingers crossed!

ChrisKelly
30-01-2008, 6:43 PM
A couple of comments/thoughts:
- 1861 census gives JK's year of birth as 1805
- can't find either of them in 1851 so maybe JK is still in Poland?
- have you looked for marriage certificate in London area in the 1850s?
- until you find the marriage certificate you can't be sure if Christiana married as a spinster or a widow, ie Nicholson might not be her maiden name.
- where is the son in 1861? Did he die before 1861 or is he living with relatives?

Joe90
31-01-2008, 5:16 PM
Jan, Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it ago and report back.

Chris, Thank you for your reply. I haven't a clue how to separate two acknowledgements when two replies come in tandem |help|.

Daughter Margaret married on the 5th December 1869 aged 19 years, all things being equal, at the latest JK would have been in the UK in 1850.

Searched for marriage certificate without success. I take your point completely, my GGM on my mothers side, was married prior to her marriage to my other GGF. I discovered that by accident, when I obtained a copy of the 1871 census, listed in the family was Henrietta as daughter in law. Age etc didn't make this possible. It came to light when I obtained her birth certificate.

Regarding son Joseph, I found a reference to a death, Joseph Nicholson Jan qtr 1859 1c 332 also a record for Christiana Nicholson, July qtr 1870 1c 665.
Too much of a coincidence for it not to be mother and son, - too obvious to make the point about Nicholson - I haven't purchased certificates because I thought the information wouldn't provide any details regarding JK. I know it's dangerous to assume but,CN would have informed JN's passing and Margaret would have informed her mothers passing in the same way as her father's.

Thank you both for your interest.
Joe.

Sue Mackay
31-01-2008, 5:32 PM
|idea| If no-one on the forum is able to translate this for you, you could try throwing "Polish English Translation" into your search engine. A number of free translation sites come up.

Do a copy/paste, hit "translate" and keep your fingers crossed!

Well, I always wondered if these translation sites worked. A wonderful lesson in gobbledegook! This is what it came up with!

Dear sir , In answer to Yours writing , Cartulary The State on Krakowie kindly reports that of carrying out kwerendy toward Yours bears necessitates subsidiary message. State archives on Poland collection stock records with respect to tenet belongings territorially vis-a-vis czego supplicates of explanation which way Yours ascendants , therein Jan Kuliczkowski was connected with Krakowem Galicją. To want prospector genealogical supplicates item of listed scrupulous message of prospector person tj. spot its birth , matrimonies. Cartulary The State on Krakowie kindly reports , that possesses on swoim affluently files metrics ex terrain kilkudziesięciu krakowskich as well podkrakowskich sale sheet. Odnalezienie on those ( predominantly niezindeksowanych volume aktu birth , matrimonies , ex listed spot , on that productive yourselves or flat prospector person , is not on the cards. Too reports , that state archives on Poland not possessive żadnych summary index until warehousing filing , wherefore znalezienie message by virtue of surnames persons , is not on the cards. Reports item , that data of disposal act metrykalnych znajdujących yourselves on affluently records on whole Poland accession are not on pussy in question GREAT-GRANDFATHER aside internetowej http:/www.archiwa.gov.pl ( so on version anglojęzycznej ).

If I were you I'd try and find a real live Pole. God knows, the building trade seems to be full of them!

Jan1954
31-01-2008, 6:38 PM
Close, but no cigar, eh Sue?

:D:D:D

Joe90 - do as Sue says and find a live Pole!

Joe90
01-02-2008, 4:53 PM
Hallo Sue,
Prior to receiving your suggestion - yesterday I Googled Polish to English and received an identical translation, it reminds me of an old radio entertainer Stanley Unwin, who used to have very intelligent conversations in Gobbledegook. Before any one comments on how old is Joe 90, I have a great interest in old entertainers !!!!

Joe90
04-02-2008, 6:37 PM
Today I have emailed Warsaw Archives also University of Warsaw seeking information. This time I may receive a reply in english but don't hold your breath.

Joe

Ann Dee
04-02-2008, 6:46 PM
Fear not! I have a tame live Pole here in the house with me. I will get him to translate and come back to you later.

Ann

Ann Dee
04-02-2008, 7:52 PM
My tame, live Pole (took me 40 years to train him) has translated the letter as follows:

"Dear Sir,

In reply to your letter, the State Archive in Krakow respectfully advises that conducting a search in the matter of your family requires additional information. The State Archives in Poland organise archival material on the principle of territorial belonging, in view of which we ask you to explain how your ancestor, in this case Jan Kuliczkowski, was connected with Krakow, Galicia. [We think this means the exact place where he was born].

For the purpose of genealogical research, please also give precise information about the person you are searching for, that is, place of birth and marriage. The State Archive in Krakow respectfully informs you that it has in its possession Metrical Acts [births, deaths, marriages] from kilkudziesieciu [the word ‘kilkudziesieciu’ means in tens rather than hundreds – certainly below one hundred] parishes of Krakow and nearby parishes. Finding in these (mainly un-indexed) books, births and marriage records without giving the name of the place where the person was born or lived, is not possible.

Apart from that, we advise you that the State Archive in Poland does not have central [or common] indices storing documentation, therefore finding information on the basis of a person’s name is not possible.

We also advise that information on the whereabouts of metrical acts contained in the archives in the whole of Poland is accessible at the base of the details PRADZIAD on internet page: http:/www….. (also in an English version).

State Archive in Krakow."

The English version of the webpage is at:

http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=43

The comments in square brackets are my husband's.
Good luck.
Ann

Sue Mackay
04-02-2008, 8:56 PM
My tame, live Pole (took me 40 years to train him) has translated the letter

You are definitely not married to a machine :D Great to see what the text actually says, though I still wonder where the machine got the 'not on pussy in question' from!!

Ann Dee
05-02-2008, 4:13 PM
You are definitely not married to a machine :D Great to see what the text actually says, though I still wonder where the machine got the 'not on pussy in question' from!!

That machine must have been having a very bad day!

Joe90
05-02-2008, 5:29 PM
Hallo Ann and THE TRANSLATOR,

A big thank you for your reply, it is so encouraging when some one takes time out of their day to help others.

I will explain the following :

Kuliczkowksi Andrzej x Gartowski Aniela (Kraków - Wszyscy Święci 1817/17)

Kuliczkowski Andrzej x Bartynowski Salomea (Kraków - Wszyscy Święci 1811/15)

---------- Andrzej x Dobrowolski Karolina (Kraków - Mariacka 1820/22)

---------- Honorata x Lgocki Aleksander (Kraków - Mariacka 1842/42)

The missing surnames are also Kuliczkowski. I obtained this information from a page headed Polish Marriages upto 1888, don't ask me where, I become quite mesmerised by it all at times.

The reason I contacted Krakow was purely a stab in the dark, by some coincidence could my GGF be related to any of the K's listed ?

I have read the translation |hug| a number of times and I am deliberating whether it is worth pursuing with my inquiry owing to the limited amount of information in my possession, I would appreciate some input from YOUR MAN.

Yesterday I mentioned I had e-mailed Warsaw University, it was to inquire if their library had information about the activists who were arrested during the Warsaw Uprising in 1830. A large number were arrested some were found guilty and a number were released.

When I was a child I recall my father saying my GGF left Poland in a hurry and it could have been politically motivated, today I received a very encouraging reply seeking confirmation of JK's last name, here's keeping fingers crossed.

Thank you again Ann and The Translator - poor soul he must have a name.

Joe.

Ann Dee
06-02-2008, 9:22 PM
Hello Joe,

Kazik says he is very pleased to have been of help and if you need anything else translating just let us know. He says the name Kulczikowski is a fairly common one in Poland. I think the website where you saw the marriages is at: http://www.polishroots.org/database.htm if you want to look at it again.

You thought the Polish invasion had only just begun! On the 1841 census there are dozens of Polish soldiers in a refugee hospital at Portsea Town, Hampshire. They are mainly between the ages of 35 to 50 and are described as Polish military. Again in 1851 there are dozens of Polish soldiers living at an address in the parish of Clerkenwell in the borough of Finsbury and another regiment living in Liverpool - these mainly younger men (perhaps on their way to somewhere else from that port). A lot of the soldiers who came here following various insurrections were professional people - doctors, writers, professors, etc., who had joined the patriotic cause. I have followed a few of them through various censuses and they usually end up being artisans of some kind. I haven't seen your Kulczikowski on any of these census records, but then the names are not spelt properly. In some cases there is no attempt at names and they are recorded as 'six Polish refugees'.

Good luck with your search and if you haven't been to Krakow - get yourself there, it's great! Very cheap flights from Liverpool with Wizzair (I hope this is not really advertising - I am not on commission) and from various other airports.

Ann

NicoUK
07-02-2008, 7:00 AM
When I was a child I recall my father saying my GGF left Poland in a hurry and it could have been politically motivated, today I received a very encouraging reply seeking confirmation of JK's last name, here's keeping fingers crossed.

I've hesitated to post because a search at memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/cemeteries/polish.htm shows no Jan Kuliczkowski but the soldiers listed were refugees from the Warsaw Uprising in 1830 and I believe some of them moved to the London area. However, it is perhaps possible that the names could be spelt incorrectly and may be worth checking?

NicoUK

Joe90
07-02-2008, 5:35 PM
Hallo Ann & Kazik,

Thank you for your very kind offer, most appreciated also the webb address. I can now reply to Krakow quote the webb address in a form of explanation why I contacted them.

In your main paragraph - which is very informative - you refered to artisans, my GGF was recorded on the certificates as a shoe maker !!

Be in touch soon.

Joe.

Joe90
07-02-2008, 5:37 PM
Hi Nico,

Thank you for the information, I will certainly give it a look up.

Joe.

Joe90
18-02-2008, 6:10 PM
Hallo Ann,

Sorry for the delay in posting the reply from the university :

Dear Sir,
I've tried to find out anything more but unfortunately with no luck. It's very difficult because of
so few details you know. I haven't found any lists of arrested activists from the time of the
November Uprising 1830. I'm sending you also an e-mail address of The Museum of
Independance in Warsaw but I'm not sure if they can help:
promocja AT muzeumniepodleglosci DOT art DOT pl
I couldn't do much more to help you.
Best wishes and good luck
Lilianna Nalewajska.

Here we go again, it is worth an email.
Ann, would you please ask Kazik what would the name of the Judicial authority who may have such records.

Thank you both.

Joe.

blue eyes
18-02-2008, 9:26 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm wondering if this is Jan on the 1851 census surname spelt Sobolewsli born abt 1803 born Poland occ looks like Military Polish Exiles he is listed with many other exiles.

Civil parish Clerkenwell
Registration district Clerkenwell
Sub rg district Clerkenwell St. James

Joe90
19-02-2008, 1:54 PM
Hi Julie,

Yes, this could be a possibility but there are so many variations where do you stop ?

You have given me an idea. I wonder if the Polish authorities have a list of Polish Military Exiles, I'll follow this up and keep you posted.

Thanks

Joe.

Joe90
19-02-2008, 6:08 PM
Me again, slight senior moment,again. Received following information which is interesting, what say you ?

Wondering if this chap on 1841 is a relative, or Jan under a different name. Described as occupation: Independent

Name: Joseph Kulurkowski
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808
Where born: Foreign Parts

Civil Parish: St George in The East
Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: St George in the East
Sub-registration district: St Paul
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Kulurkowski 33
Julian Ramer 40

Interesting to note the absence of any ladies on the listing.

All ideas welcome.

Joe.

blue eyes
19-02-2008, 8:57 PM
Hi Joe,

As there seems to be many different spellings of the 1st and 2nd name it could be him. Did find a Joseph in 1851 the only one that seems similar is a Joseph Kowalske age 46 born Wilne Poland occ clerk living in the civil parish of St. Alphage RD London City. Your right where do you stop with all the variations.

Joe90
20-02-2008, 5:55 PM
Hi Ann,

Quickie, have emailed Museum of Independance yesterday.
Keep you posted

Joe.

Sue Mackay
23-02-2008, 5:52 PM
Greetings from South Africa! I have just been talking to a friend who has Jewish Polish ancestry and she has told me about this site

http://data.jewishgen.org/viewmate/

Apparently you upload anything you need translated and a real live person will pick it up, translate it, and post it back. You can also upload photographs for recognition purposes.

Joe90
25-02-2008, 3:42 PM
Hallo Sue,

Thank you for the information, have recorded the address.

Joe

Joe90
26-02-2008, 4:17 PM
Hallo Ann,

Received this reply today, another|banghead| but we will keep on trying.

I am still awaiting a reply from The Museum of Independance, will keep you posted.

Joe.

Dear Sir,

In replay to your e-mail dated 4 February 2008 sent to
ndap AT archiwa DOT gov DOT pl I kindly inform that the Head Office of the State
Archives does not preserve any documents. Those are situated in
different Polish archives according to the rule of territorial pertinence.

I am sorry but without knowing any specific information about your Great
Grandfather's place and time of birth finding him is almost impossible.

To receive more information about those who participated in the November
Uprising (1830-1831) you can contact the Central Archives of Historical
Records (sekretariat@agad.gov.pl), which preserves the main collection
of documents connected with the November Uprising.

Your ancestor could also leave Poland after 1831 because different
political movements were present through the XIX century. There were
some perturbances in years 1848-1849.

Yours faithfully
Ewa Piorkowska
COIA-843-70/80

Ann Dee
28-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Hallo Ann,

Sorry for the delay in posting the reply from the university :

Dear Sir,
I've tried to find out anything more but unfortunately with no luck. It's very difficult because of
so few details you know. I haven't found any lists of arrested activists from the time of the
November Uprising 1830. I'm sending you also an e-mail address of The Museum of
Independance in Warsaw but I'm not sure if they can help:
promocja AT muzeumniepodleglosci DOT art DOT pl
I couldn't do much more to help you.
Best wishes and good luck
Lilianna Nalewajska.

Here we go again, it is worth an email.
Ann, would you please ask Kazik what would the name of the Judicial authority who may have such records.

Thank you both.

Joe.

Hello Joe,
Unfortunately, it is about 60 years or more since Kazik lived in Poland so he doesn't know much about organisations in Poland. However, we are in telephone contact with relatives there so I will get Kazik to ask if they know.
Best wishes.
Ann

Joe90
29-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Ann, thank you and Kazik for your reply and willingness to help.

Best wishes.
Joe

bspinner@cogeco.ca
02-03-2008, 6:01 PM
joe. Join jewishgen.org (easy and free)

Then post your polish text on viewmate.

Then post a request on jewishgen general board. You will likely have atranslation before you can say "Krakow".

And, please do not ask me for more precise details, as 1) I do not know Plish, and (2) I have not had to use this technique, but I hear often at my JGS how facile it is!

Joe90
07-03-2008, 6:01 PM
Thank you for the info; what is your JGS ?

Joe

Joe90
08-03-2008, 4:12 PM
Hallo Ann,

Still awaiting a reply from the museum, will give them a reminder next week.

I have been thinking - a some what dangerous past time for me - re my thread 5th Feb; following the names of the married couples is Krakow'-Wszy S'wieci 1817/17 also Krakow'- Mariacka 1820/22. What does this actually signify, would Kazik have any idea ?

If it is the local area where the couples married, it may be possible for me to contact the local authority and enquire if any of the Kuliczkowski family still reside in the area.

Joe.

Joe90
26-03-2008, 6:36 PM
Hallo Ann,

I have been patiently waiting a reply from the Museum of Independence to my first email so, I forwarded a copy, still no acknowledgement. Is it possible they are unable to read English ?

Ann Dee
27-03-2008, 11:25 PM
re my thread 5th Feb; following the names of the married couples is Krakow'-Wszy S'wieci 1817/17 also Krakow'- Mariacka 1820/22. What does this actually signify, would Kazik have any idea ?

If it is the local area where the couples married, it may be possible for me to contact the local authority and enquire if any of the Kuliczkowski family still reside in the area.

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply.
Mariacka is the name given to the Cathedral Church of St. Mary in Krakow. Wszy means 'higher'. Swieci usually means 'light'. I think this must refer to areas of Krakow.
Ann

Joe90
01-04-2008, 1:49 PM
Hallo Ann,

I'm still awaiting a reply from the Museum of Independence. I have not received a non delivery message, so I can only assume ther may be a problem reading english mail, though I would have thought that most unlikely.

Would Kazik translate - in Polish of course;) a couple of lines I could send to the museum, such as ; I posted two email message 19/02/08, and 18/3/08 would you please acknowledge receipt and, are you able to offer some assistance ? Or something similar.

Regards to both,

Joe.

Ann Dee
18-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Hallo Ann,

I'm still awaiting a reply from the Museum of Independence. I have not received a non delivery message, so I can only assume ther may be a problem reading english mail, though I would have thought that most unlikely.

Would Kazik translate - in Polish of course;) a couple of lines I could send to the museum, such as ; I posted two email message 19/02/08, and 18/3/08 would you please acknowledge receipt and, are you able to offer some assistance ? Or something similar.

Regards to both,

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the delay. We've been on holiday. Here's what to say, including 'Dear Sirs' at the beginning, and 'With respect' at the end. There should be one or two accents, but I am sure they will understand:

"Szanowani Panstwo,

Ja Wyslalem dwie e-mail depesze dnia 19/02/08 i 18/03/08. Prosze potwierdzic ich odszymanie i czy panstwo moga mi pomoc.

Z Powazaniem,

(Your name).

Joe90
19-04-2008, 1:25 PM
Hallo Ann,

Thank you both for the translation. Yesterday, in my inbox was the following reply, beyond my wildest dreams. I would appreciate both your thoughts on how to proceed further at the Polish end, or call it a day ?

Joe90
19-04-2008, 1:34 PM
Hi Ann,:o

Some how I disconnected, another senior moment. Here's the reply, and I would appreciate it if Kazik would confirm who sent it, as I don't recognise the address. Thank you.

Joe.

ARCHIWUM GŁÓWNE AKT DAWNYCH Warszawa, 18 kwietnia 2008
ul. Długa 7, 00 – 263, Warszawa
tel. +(48) 0 (...) 22 831 – 54 – 91 do 93
fax. +(48) 0 (...) 22 831 – 54 – 91 wewn. 463
e-mail: sekretariat DOT agad DOT gov DOT pl

nr 843-125/08
Dear Sir!
Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw would like to inform you, that in Słownik Biograficzny Oficerów Powstania Listopadowego, (a biographical dictionary of November’s Uprising 1830 officers) prepared by Robert Bielecki, is mentioned Jan Wojciech Kuliczkowski.
He was born in Jazłowiec (district Buczacz, former province Tarnopol) about 1810. We cannot confirm this date, because public registers from Jazłowiec from this year probably do not exist. We have birth records from Jazłowiec only from years: 1701-1784, 1853. In State Historical Archive in Lwów are kept registers from years; 1816-1865.
Jan Kuliczkowski fought in November’s Uprising as a lieutenant. In 1833 he emigrated to France. He came to England at 6th April 1834. He died 14th December 1869 in London. We do not have any papers about Jan Kuliczkowski. Some records can be found in French Archives – Bibliotheque Polonaise in Paris (Biblioteka Polska w Paryżu) – 6 Quai d’Orleans, F-75004 Paris, France; Service historique de l’armee de terre – 00481 Armees, Chateau de Vincennes, B.P. 107 France and in the archives of departments of Cher and Gers.
A.W.
Kierownik Oddziału V
Maria Sierocka – Pośpiech

Joe90
27-04-2008, 1:17 PM
Ann,
Would Kazik please help, once again.
Joe.

Witam !

Bardzo mi przykro ,ale nie moge Panu pomoc w tej sprawie. Nie posiadamy zadnych informacji dotyczacych pana przodka. Proponuje sprawdzic informacje w Archiwum Akt Nowych , ul. Hankiewicza 4. Pozdrawaim
----- Original Message -----
To: promocja AT muzeumniepodleglosci DOT art DOT pl
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:16 PM
Subject: Lieutenant Jan Kuliczkowski - Polish marriages

Sznowani Panstwo,

Ja Wyslalem dwie e-mail dnia 19/02/08 i 18/03/08. Prosze potwierdzic ich odszymanie i czy panstwo moga nci pomco.

Z Powazaniem.

Joe90
02-05-2008, 5:23 PM
Hallo Ann,

I e-mailed Bibliotheque Polonaise in Paris for any information regarding J.K. and received the reply below. I am currently e-mailing here,there,and every where seeking information as to the contents of the letter's, stand by Kazik !!

Joe.

Sir,

In answer to your request, I inform you that the only documents which are at our disposal are letters of the Emigration Community in London dated 1843, 1844, 1846, 1847, and 1862. We find the name of Jan Kuliczkowski in the letters.

We do not have any other information related to his life.

Yours,

Joe90
20-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Hallo Ann,

Please thank Kazik for the translation, we now know the Museum of Independence do not possess any records but, suggested another archieve may be able to assist, so we'll give it a go.

The book referred to - in the thread 19-04-08 - is only available in Polish but, with the assistance of my local library and Kazik, his translation may be of interest to other members of the Forum.

Kulczikowski Jan Wojciech - born around 1810 in Jazlowiec in Galicja. During the insurrection he was a second lieutenant in the Krakow 5th regiment. He went to France Feb. 1833 and belonged initially to the establishment in Bourges. 15/7/33 he left on Belle Isle in connection with the plan of expedition of Portuguese Mema. Directed to Auch 6/4/34 he moved to England 19/8/34 in London he disagreed (or condemned) Czartoryski. In 1837 he joined the Union. On 29/11/43 he recognised the leadership of Czartoryski. He died 14/12 1869 in London.

The following is my brief summary of some of the events surrounding J.K. at this time.
General Joseph Bem - Polish Army - was summond back to Warsaw to take charge of the army during the uprising. He took part in the desperate defence of Warsaw. When the Uprising failed on the 5th October 1831 he along with many activists escaped to France, General Bem went to Paris J.K. to Bourges.

General Bem eventually went to Portugal to assist liberal Dom Pedro against reactionary Dom Miguel, but abandoned the idea when it was found a Polish legion could not be formed. When this decision was made, I think this is when J.K. left France for England.

Joe.

Joe90
01-06-2008, 5:45 PM
Hallo Ann,

The letters referred to by the Bibliotheque Polonaise are lists of Polish immigrants in London. More information in a few days.

I am awaiting replies from Auch and Bourges.

Joe.

Joe90
21-06-2008, 5:07 PM
Hallo Ann,

The list of names of Polish immigrants in London 1834 onwards, are printed in a booklet published by W.M. Clark 10, Red Lion Court Fleet St London. The names are in alphabetical order, therefore the only page's visible to me is the one with J.K's name, also Julian Remer - earlier in the thread listed with JK on a census return.

I have asked for the title of the booklet, when received I will make enquiries to obtain a copy.

I am still awaiting a reply from Bourges also Auch, have sent reminders. I received an email from the Chateau de Vincennes - in french|help|I can't speak the language let alone read it. Help is at hand a kind person has offered to translate, watch this space for breaking news.

Joe.

Joe90
23-08-2008, 3:23 PM
Hallo Ann,

The replies from France duly arrived - in French - and after some delay in obtaining translation, no additional information was forth-coming other than to confirm JK did reside in those areas during the dates quoted.

Following your suggestion I joined a Ukraine Forum and, yes,Hannia picked up my enquiry. She kindly provided some information to enable me to obtain a film from the L.D.S. that may reveal some information about the family in Jazlowiec. I have done the easy bit, ordering the film, the challenge will be reading it.

Yesterday I received the following excerpt from Hannia:

This system of terror called for victims to be taken from Polish villages, towns and cities, picked at will to satisfy the labor needs of prisons and concentration camps in Siberia. The Poles in Jazlowiec were not exempt from this terror. Some men, like Kazimierz Stanecki, *Michal Kuliczkowski*, Julian Kurianski and Stanislaw Kowalski, became prisoners and slave laborers in Siberia labor camps of the north taiga. Another group of Polish families, the mayor's family (Kurianskis), the Kowalskis (Wladyslaw and Ignacy), Grzesiowskis, Goldstaubs, Piwowarskis, Staneckis, Baczynskis and some nuns from the convent and assorted others - twenty families in all - were deported to the steppes of Khazakstan to work in collective farms. Most of the victims were rounded up with the assistance of the local Ukrainians. This kind of terror kept the remaining members of the Polish community in total obedience to the new system.

It is possible members of the Kuliczkowski family may still reside in Jazlowiec.

Regards, Joe.

Joe90
17-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Hallo Ann,

Aweek ago I discovered an email address of a gentleman I thought may have some information about the family in Jazlowiec, purely a shot in the dark, here is his reply.

DEAR jane,
tHANK YOU FOR YOUR MRSSAGE. i AM SURE THAR YOUR GRET-GREAT FATHER WAS FROM JAZLOWIEC. tHIS IS A TYPICAL NAME FROM MY HOMETOWN. in 1939 there were at leassr 10 families of such a name in JAZLOWIEC. i HAD SOME FRIENDS AND RELATIVES AMONG THEM. HE MUST HAVE BEEN A POLISH HERO, NOW FORGOTTE, i WAS THE OFICER IN 1ST pOLISH ARMOURED DIVISION IN WW2.
I AM NOW 88 YEAS OLD PARTIALY DEAF AND BLIND UT SILL LIVING.
I WILL ASK MY CHILDREN TO WRITE TO YOU.

Obviously he, understandably, misread my name. I am hoping the family can find time to comunicate.

Joe.

Joe90
05-10-2008, 4:29 PM
Hallo Ann,

A fews day's ago I Googled Lazlowiec and found the reading interesting. On this site I was clicking away and discovered this page,

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.jazlowiec.webpark.pl/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrozbar%2540wp.pl%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1 G1GGLQ_ENUK291%26sa%3DG&usg=ALkJrhhflxQQIhbByV8hwKxSVtNLdnzkyw

Two members of the Kuliczkowski clan appeared on the left side of the page, if you look above the names you can see a rotating email sign. I mailed promptly and enquired how I could make contact with them, hoping they may have information or point me in the right direction to further my enquiries about the family.

I have requested a film from L.D.S that should have some information about families in Jazlowiec, that was three weeks ago, but I must be patient and hope I can recognise the name when it appears. Life can be a trial at times
:)
Joe.

Joe90
16-11-2008, 4:55 PM
Hallo Ann,

I have at long last received the film and viewed it at the local F.H.C, without success. I requested prints of a number of pages for the year's 1804 and 1808 hoping some kind person - like Kazik - would view them for me. When I collected the pages it was impossible to read most of them, a technical problem I suspect, it would be a waste of time scanning them.

The webb site posted on the 5th Oct: appears most fruitfull, the reply from Tadeusz Brozbar seems most encouraging to the point of disregarding the prints of the film, now you have unjiggled his replies further information seems most likely. I would have been unable to achieve the interpretation that you and Kazik produced, thank you both.

Joe.

Joe90
28-11-2008, 6:46 PM
Hallo Ann,

There are a number of ' pot's ' boiling at the moment, as soon as the steam clears all will be revealed. The other problem I have is trying to obtain some back ground details of the lady who was the mother of his children, Christiana Nicholson, born 1823 died 1861, her name is recorded on her son's birth certificate her daughter's marriage certificate plus two census returns.
I have yet to locate a record of marriage.

All addresse's in the area of St George in The East London. Another mystery in the same family.

Joe.