PDA

View Full Version : On line list of bankrupcies

Jo from Australia
15-01-2008, 5:36 AM
If you do a google book search (different to a normal google search) you may find some interesting little bits to search!

I have just found an online book called:
The Bankrupt Directory: Being a Complete Register of All the Bankrupts By George Elwick.

You can actually scroll through a list of names of those who had claimed bankrupcy.
quite interesting. it lists the name of the person, what profession they were in and where they lived. it dates throughout the 19 century.

another one is The Jurist By Great Britain Courts, Great Britain. Published in 1853.

again, google books that you can read on line. probably more that I havent found, but worth a look for all of us who cant just nip to Kew!

Jo

Geoffers
15-01-2008, 7:46 AM
Further information on sources of information for bankrupts can be found in TNA's reserch guides, see obvious links here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#b)

Some are seachable on TNA's catalogue; and also try the London, Edinburgh and Belfast Gazettes.

Peter Goodey
15-01-2008, 8:17 AM
...dates throughout the 19 century

But see the introductory paragraph of

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=145

(already referenced by Geoffers).

CarlT
21-07-2009, 5:43 PM
I came across The Jurist by accident, by searching google I typed in my ancestors name and was told he appears in the book, I downloaded the book and went through all 567 pages only to find no entry, I have now read this book several times and searched the pdf version, alas cannot I find my ancestor, can anyone say why he's not there please

hughar
21-07-2009, 6:14 PM
Did you think to put the name in quotes "name"? If not then Google probably found the two parts of the name separately on one or adjacent pages, which is why it said it was there.

Nicolina
21-07-2009, 7:11 PM
it could also refer to the name of a street. I regularly get long lists of results that refer to a particular (very long) street.

pipsqueak
21-07-2009, 7:27 PM
Oh boy... you've got me going there now. Can't find my ancestor in "The Jurist" even though I found him there before, and so I looked up another ancestor in the London Gazette - just so I can see him again and marvel at the power of the internet! Now if only I could find them in the National Portrait Gallery!

Geoffers
21-07-2009, 7:27 PM
I came across The Jurist by accident, by searching google I typed in my ancestors name and was told he appears in the book, I downloaded the book and went through all 567 pages only to find no entry, I have now read this book several times and searched the pdf version, alas cannot I find my ancestor, can anyone say why he's not there please

Perhaps the person who told you he appeared in the book was mistaken?

One other place you might try is The London Gazette.

CarlT
24-07-2009, 6:08 PM
looked in The London Gazette, and there he was,

Thank you
Carl