PDA

View Full Version : O'shea 1872 Philadelphia

perseus
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi
Can anyone help? I have a Jeremiah & Mary O'Shea (nee Law) who married in Nottingham England in 1870. I believe that Mary emigrated to USA in 1871, and also Jeremiah, though I haven't found his passage.
Jeremiah was born in Cork, Ireland and Mary was born in Glasgow Scotland. Both born c 1835. Mary was back in England on the 1881 census with her son William James O'Shea, b 10 sept 1872 in Philadelphia..Got this date from his baptism in 1882 aged 10. ometimes he is refrerred to as James William, and I wonder if James was also Jeremiah's name.
No sign of Jeremiah.
It would be good to find a birth for William and possibly a death for Jeremiah.
Jeremiah's occupation was given as saddler/shoe maker on his wedding certificate and shoe maker on the 1871 census (or the other way round) Both Jeremiah and Mary were catholic.
This being the case it's interesting that William wasn't baptised for such a long time after his birth.
I'm assuming that Mary & William were back in England before the 1880 USA census.
Any help or clues as to where I might search would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leander
13-01-2008, 2:42 PM
Hi Perseus,

I have dashed off an email to an acquaintance who does record lookups at the Chester County Courthouse, which includes the city of Philadelphia.

I'll let you know when she replies.

Cheers!

Deb

perseus
13-01-2008, 3:19 PM
Hi Deb
Just caught your email. Appreciate your help.

When I checked some info I saw that on James William's baptism back in England in 1882 his father's name was given as James Jeremiah, though all other records do not mention the James.

I see you live in Albany County. My son married a girl from Schenectady and lives there now

Cheers
Mag

Leander
13-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi ya, Mag.

Your son and his wife are practically neighbors. Schenectady is only a 20-30 minute drive from here.

Another snowstorm coming in tonight; I hope your son has become acclimated. :-)

I'll let you know when I hear back from my contact.

Regards,

Deb

Ed Bradford
14-01-2008, 3:27 AM
According to the City of Philadelphia Archives the birth records for that period are available on microfilm.
http://www.phila.gov/phils/Docs/Inventor/genealgy.htm
If I understand what they are saying on their web site, you should be able to order and view the microfilm through your local LDS Family History Center.

....................Ed

perseus
14-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Deb
Thanks! Look forward to your info as and when you get it.
My daughter in law works in Albany.
My son has more or less got used to the extremes of the weather!
I have experienced the 100+degrees and minus lord knows what accompanied by snow storms. Still enjoy my visits though.

Mag

And Ed
Thanks for your info.It always amazes me that people have a solution to most obstacles.
I'm guessing between the 2 0f you I shall have answers to the conundrum of Jeremiah and James William.

Mag

Leander
27-01-2008, 1:34 PM
Hi Mag,

Just a note to let you know that I haven't heard back from my acquaintance in Pennsylvania since the original correspondence between she and me.

If she doesn't respond in another week or so I'll try scheduling a visit to a Family History Center.

Hope all is going well.

Deb

Leander
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi again, Mags.

Still haven't heard anything from the Philadelphia connection, so I'll run over to the Family History Center next weekend, as soon as this annoying head cold clears up.

Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten you!

Regards,

Deb

perseus
12-02-2008, 4:25 PM
Hi Deb

Hope you are feeling a bit better!

Thanks for your last 2 messages. I appreciate you keeping in touch.
I hadn't visited the site for a few days . I'm preparing my little house for a renovation attempt by Richard( he who lives in Schenectady). He will be over next week for 3 weeks to get some work done! He's a good lad!!!

If only he were interested , he could do some research for me!! However he thinks I've lost the plot with all my 'dead folk'.

It would be wonderful to 'find' some trace of my O'sheas. Here's hoping.

Thanks again for your help

Mag

perseus
18-08-2008, 4:07 PM
I've come across an entry for a jeremiah O'Shea's passage to USA in 1871
Here's what it says:
Castle garden Site.

Jeremiah O'Shea
Occ: harness maker,bridle cutter
Ship: Cuba
Arr: 22 Jun 1871
origin: Ireland
Port: Liverpool

Destination: 7328

Does this give any clues as to where he may have gone?