PDA

View Full Version : Rossiters in Rode (Road)

Katy
05-12-2004, 12:13 PM
I am trying to find information about Job Rossiter (1795 - 1885), 3 x ggrandfather from Rode. My 2 x ggrandfather was George Rossiter (?1828 - 1886). I would be interested in finding any siblings of George and his mother, ie Job's wife and any information about Job.

Tracey K
07-12-2004, 1:48 PM
Hi Katy
on 1871 census
Job is living with his grand daughter Ellen aged 19. Job is down as a widower and his occupation is Ag Labourer.
hope that helps.
Rgds
tracey kennedy

Katy
07-12-2004, 9:07 PM
Tracey

That sounds about right as George and Jemima did have a daughter named Ellen.

Louisag
17-12-2004, 1:58 AM
Is this your family on the 1841 census in Rode?

Joseph ROSSITER Blacksmith aged 59
Ellen aged 26
Job aged 23
Joseph aged 20
Edwin aged 18
Gilbert aged 16
Edward aged 11

I am trying to track down another ROSSITER blacksmith - William, who I can find in the 1851 census but not the 1841 one - please keep an eye out for him in your research!!!!

Katy
18-12-2004, 1:44 PM
Louisa

I don't think this is the correct one, as this Job is the wrong age. I had come across this Job Rossiter and believed him to be a son of my Job, ie brother of George and William.

However, Joseph senior may be a brother of the Job I am interested in as some of the names ie Joseph, Ellen and Edward seem to be family names.

I will look out for other William Rossiters, particularly blacksmiths, and let you know if I find any.

If you can find the Jon that I am interested in I would be very grateful, but I seem to have hit a brick wall with him.

bguser
12-01-2005, 3:13 PM
I am trying to find information about Job Rossiter (1795 - 1885), 3 x ggrandfather from Rode. My 2 x ggrandfather was George Rossiter (?1828 - 1886). I would be interested in finding any siblings of George and his mother, ie Job's wife and any information about Job.

Hi Katy,

Do you know who Job married yet please?

From the snippets I have I believe son George had a brother William born in 1829.

George married a Jemima Millett on December 25th 1849. They had three children William, Emily and Frank.

Does this sound like the same family to you?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

best wishes

bguser

Katy
18-01-2005, 8:37 AM
Hi

Yes this is the same family.

I do not know who Job's wife was yet.

I am aware that George had at least one brother, William is the only one I have managed to find b 1829 as you say.

George did marry Jemima, they had 13 children, 11 surviving, Emily is my great grandmother.

Are you researching the same family?

Katy

bguser
18-01-2005, 4:17 PM
Hi

Yes this is the same family.

I do not know who Job's wife was yet.

I am aware that George had at least one brother, William is the only one I have managed to find b 1829 as you say.

George did marry Jemima, they had 13 children, 11 surviving, Emily is my great grandmother.

Are you researching the same family?

Katy

Hi Katy,

I'm just researching the Rossiter family tree generally. My mother was a Rossiter and I started just researching my direct line. Having solved that fairly quickly I started to research other branches linked to mine and before you know it I've got a database of over 4000 people.

Do you know any of the names of the 13 children or their dates and places of birth please? Also who did Emily marry? Hopefully with that info I'll be able to track some of them down.

Look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes

bguser

Katy
18-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi

I have quite a lot of information about my Rossiter line, which I will pass on to you tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday, I will need to get all my information together, and make sure I give you correct dates etc.

My great grandmother, Emily, married her first cousin, James Arthur Bullen (their mothers were sisters, Jemima Millett being Emily's mother and Ellen Henrietta Millett being James' mother). Emily was one of the youngest. One of her older sisters was Clara, she married a Henry William Plowman in 1886, there were no children. One of their brothers was Joseph who in 1881 was on the Superb, in the Navy. Henry Plowman was also a seaman and we wonder whether they met each other in the Navy, we may never know.

I hope that helps a little bit, I will get back with dates and names in the next couple of days, if you could link these up at all, I would be extremely grateful.

Speak to you soon.

Katy

Katy
18-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Tracey

Do you have a copy of the transcript of Job Rossiter's entry in the 1871 Census. Is there anymore information on it? Could you perhaps let me know where they were living at the time?

Many thanks

Katy

Katy
20-01-2005, 8:11 PM
Hi Katy,

I'm just researching the Rossiter family tree generally. My mother was a Rossiter and I started just researching my direct line. Having solved that fairly quickly I started to research other branches linked to mine and before you know it I've got a database of over 4000 people.

Do you know any of the names of the 13 children or their dates and places of birth please? Also who did Emily marry? Hopefully with that info I'll be able to track some of them down.

Look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes

bguser
Hi

Job's parents were William Rossiter and Sarah Millet. They were married at Laverton on 18 Nov 1783.

I have received the following baptisms, mostly in Laverton:

8 Jun 1783 James (Rode)
7 Mar 1784 James
20 Mar 1785 Hester
15 Apr 1787 John
16 Sep 1789 William
5 Dec 1790 Betty
16 Apr 1793 Sarah
17 May 1795 Mary
4 Sep 1796 Job
27 Jul 1800 Joseph.

Job died on 4 January 1875 in Rode.

I know definately that he had at least 2 sons, George and William. I suspect there was another at least 2 more sons named Job and Edward, but have no confirmation.

As stated George married Jemima Millett and had 13 children, 11 surviving.

They were:

Henry born circa 1850
George
Ellen born circa 1852 (married a Smith)
Sarah Jane born 1854 (married Joseph James Hill, born 1856, 5 March 1876)
Joseph 1856 - 1929, was in the Navy
Jemima born circa 1858 (married a James Smith)
Fanny Emma born circa 1860 (married Frank Haines)
Christiania born circa 1863
Clara born 23 Sept 1865, Road, died 10 Feb 1958
Emily born circa 1868, died in infancy
William George born 1869/70 (married Louise Cox)
Emily born 25 Jan 1875 (my great grandmother, married 5 Sept 1903 to James Arthur Bullen, her first cousin) died 17 Jan 1967
Frank born 1879 died in 1950 (married Alice)

As far as I am aware they were all born in Rode.

William George, who married Louise Cox had 2 children:

George b 25 Dec 1894 and Christopher b 1896

George married Elsie Latcham and had 3 children:

Arthur George born 13 Dec 1920 (married Rose Applegate)
Geoffrey Ewen born 26 Feb 1923
Bryan William born 14 May 1937 (married Diane Simpson)

Bryan and Diane had 3 children:

Edward George born 14 Feb 1967

bguser
26-01-2005, 1:01 PM
Hi Katy,

Thank you so much for that major post. I am trying to link in what you've supplied with what I have.

As you will appreciate records of this period are limited in that some of the Laverton records were destroyed.

Much of what I'll say next is supposition as I don't have the means to check it out.

It's believed that William had two brothers, Daniel (born circa 1756) who married Mary Flowers ( plus two other wives) and Joseph (born circa 1766) who married Hannah Sweet. William by the way was baptised on October 15th 1760, married to Sarah on November 18th 1783 and died 31st May 1825. Credit for that goes to my colleague Clive Rossiter, who sadly is not internet connected.

It is also believed that Daniel, William and Joseph were the sons of Daniel Rossiter and Mary Purnell.

Checking the IGI records I found a marriage for Stephen Millett and Anna Tucker on November 1st 1841 in Temple, Bristol, Gloucester.

Do you have any dates of birth for their children so we can decide whose mother was Henrietta and whose were the children of Anna? And is there any information about Stephen's parents please?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions. Just hoping that with all of us working on it someone may have the answers.

I have posted requests for info on Rootsweb and will also do the same on Genealogy. Hopefully, it may attract other fellow researchers who can add to the pot of knowledge.

BTW, can you add the last two children of Bryan & Diane missed from your last post please?

Hope this helps.

best wishes

bguser

bguser
26-01-2005, 5:21 PM
Hi Katy,

My contact Heather found this in the 1841 Census for Rode, Somerset

HO107 942 20 25
Lower Street
Job Rossiter 50 ag lab No
Christiana 56 Y
John 20 Y
George 16 Y
Joseph 11 Y

Given that one of George's children is called Christiana, I thought it was too much of a coincidence.

Hope this helps.

best wishes

bguser

Katy
26-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi

Firstly, my apologies for missing the youngest two children of Bryan and Diane:

William b 1.10.1968

Herbert b 6.3.1970

Thankyou for your information re William, brothers and parents, I will have to try and get some confirmation of this.

Going to the Census return:

The age for Job is not right, as it would him born 1791, but I know that rounding of ages was common at that time. I do agree with you that the names are coincidental. George's age is slightly out, putting him born 1825/26, but I can accept that. It is surprising, however, that William is not mentioned, and we both know that George had a brother William, it needs following up I think.

I will answer your Millett questions on the Millett page.

Thanks for all your work on this.

bguser
29-01-2005, 3:28 PM
Hi Katy,

My contact David tells me that according to the parish records for Rode & Roadhill, children were baptised to a Job Rossiter and his wife Christina and a Job Rossiter and his wife Catherine between 1821 and 1829.

According to him in the 1851 census Job is listed as aged 62, agricultural labourer from Laverton while his wife Christina was listed as age 65 a midwife from Farley Hungerford.It also lists their son Joseph aged 21 a wooldyer from North Bradley living at Townsend, Tellisford.

However, says Dave, in the 1861 Census Job is listed as 68 years old and his wife's name has changed to Catherine aged 75 but still from Farley Hungerford.

It seems likely that Job and his wife ( whoever she is) may have been married in Farley Hungerford and that if we can gain access to the parish records there for the period say 1800 to 1820 we may find out who Job really married.

Once that is established the parish records from Rode will then reveal who their children were.

Do you have any information which has a bearing on this please?

best wishes

bguser

bguser
02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Katy,

My contact Heather has turned up a record in the Somerset Marriage Index:-

Job Rossiter to Christina Paradise on 10 May 1819 in Frome

Hopefully this will help in the search.

best wishes

bguser

Katy
03-02-2005, 9:03 PM
Hi

Sorry not to get back in touch sooner.

I have been speaking to my father (this is his family) and he thinks that Christiana is Job's wife as, like you said the coincidence is too similar. Christiana, and variations thereof, is an uncommon name, and the enumerator for the 1861 Census may have transcribed it as Catherine.

That date of the marriage that your friend has found fits in as I believe that George and William had elder siblings so if their parents were married in 1819 is very possible. What I don't understand is why Frome?

Thanks again for all your help

bguser
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi

Sorry not to get back in touch sooner.

I have been speaking to my father (this is his family) and he thinks that Christiana is Job's wife as, like you said the coincidence is too similar. Christiana, and variations thereof, is an uncommon name, and the enumerator for the 1861 Census may have transcribed it as Catherine.

That date of the marriage that your friend has found fits in as I believe that George and William had elder siblings so if their parents were married in 1819 is very possible. What I don't understand is why Frome?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi Katy,

A number of Rossiter families were itinerant tradespeople or indeed travelling folk as in gypsies, fair people, hawkers etc. My great grandfather was a shoemaker and has children from Elm, Clevedon, Frome and Bath. Having researched the Rossiters in Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Wiltshire, Kent, Wexford, Wales etc I can vouch for the fact that they get around a fair bit.

Any news from your kind soul with access to the parish records at Rode?

best wishes

bguser

Katy
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi

My kind soul who visited the record office has not been able to provide me with more information.

However, a little information has been gleamed from posting the request on the Frome@yahoogroups.com which deals with the Frome Hundred, of which Rode and Laverton fall.

After my request a reply came with the details of James Millett and Elizabeth Randle's marriage and children. The only information for Rossiter was William, father Daniel, baptised 4 October 1760.

Your information about Rossiters being travelling folk bears fruit as Job's wife came from Farley Hungerford and their son was born in North Bradley. Do you have a way/or contact that may be able to find these records. Both areas fall outside the Frome Hundred and although I have relatives in Laverton, I do not know of any in that area.

If I find any information I will let you know.

bguser
06-02-2005, 1:57 PM
Hi

My kind soul who visited the record office has not been able to provide me with more information.

However, a little information has been gleamed from posting the request on the Frome@yahoogroups.com which deals with the Frome Hundred, of which Rode and Laverton fall.

After my request a reply came with the details of James Millett and Elizabeth Randle's marriage and children. The only information for Rossiter was William, father Daniel, baptised 4 October 1760.

Your information about Rossiters being travelling folk bears fruit as Job's wife came from Farley Hungerford and their son was born in North Bradley. Do you have a way/or contact that may be able to find these records. Both areas fall outside the Frome Hundred and although I have relatives in Laverton, I do not know of any in that area.

If I find any information I will let you know.

Hi Katy,

Thanks for your posting. Am I right in thinking that James Millett & Elizabeth Randle must also be William, James & Henry's parents? Sorry, it just gets a bit tiring trying to keep up. I'll definitely have to put them in my database. I function better when I have something visual to show me all the links.

As for Farley, Hungerford and North Bradley I don't have a contact for those areas. All I can suggest is posting for someone who has access to those records on Rootsweb & Genealogy.com Hopefully, someone will come forward with the information.

I have contacted the Frome 100 re: William Rossiter & Sarah Millett. Hopefully, I have something from them to report back.

Hope the weather is sunny in the Orkneys. It's just grey and overcast here in Manchester.

best wishes

bguser

Katy
12-02-2005, 7:01 PM
Hi

I have just replied (twice) to a Kevin Finn on the Frome 100 site. Is that you?

I am going to contact the SoG to see if they have the marriage records for both the churches in Rode, St Lawrence (which is still going) and Christchurch which was disestablished a while back. If they have the marriage and indeed birth records, I might be able to find some information, and if so I will let you know.

The weather is wet and windy in Orkney. Somewhat worse than Manchester, as usual - my parents live in South Cheshire and I hear regularly how good or bad it is down there.

Speak to you soon.

Katy

John Murray
21-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello all
I am new to this list and researching the ROSSITER family in Notttinghamshire and Manchester

However I have a vague notion that James Rossiter who married in Tuxford in 1814 to Catherine Dicks/Dix may have been born in Somerset.

I believe this only because there are a few Rossiters married to members of the Dicks/Dix family in Somerset so thats my only connection
Regards
John
Manchester
England

rclaxton
25-02-2005, 3:41 PM
Hi - I'm new to the site and was looking for Rossiters in Rode. Fanny Emma (born circa 1860) is my 3 x grandmother.

Have I understood correctly that this makes her parents George and Jemima (Millett), George's parents Job and Christina or Catherine (Paradise?) and Job's parents William and Sarah (Millet)?

You have all put in a lot of hard work. I have a fair amount of information regarding the family of Fanny Emma Rossiter and Francis Haines if anyone would like it.

I would also be interested to receive any further information on the Rossiters.

Many thanks.

bguser
25-02-2005, 8:01 PM
Hi rclaxton,

I'd be pleased to hear what you have on the above couple please and am willing to share information if I have it.

best wishes

bguser

rclaxton
26-02-2005, 12:56 PM
hi bguser

Francis Haines (b~1856 Corsley) married Fanny Emma Rossiter on 12 April 1881. They had numerous children among which I believe were:

Edith b~1881 Corsley
Lily Ada b.4 November 1882 Corsley married George ELLIOTT (b.20 March 1882 Bulls Green) 23 January 1907 Chantry (and both buried there). George died 24 Jan 1957 and Lily 29 June 1957.
Annie b~1883 Corsley
Alic (difficult to read on census) b~1886 Corsley
Ellen or Helen b~1889 Standerwick possibly married a SEVIER
Clifford b~1889 Beckington, buried 17 November 1902 Chantry
Louis or Lewis b~1892 Frome married Gladys LACEY
Daisy b~1894 Frome married 1.RABBITS 2.DRAKE
Dorothy b.3.1.897 Holiwell married 1.ALEXANDER 2.FRANCES - 2 children Frankie and Doreen
Violet b.?

Francis Haines had 2 siblings:
Henry m.Bessie
Sarah
His father was a farmer - James HAINES

From information given to me I have listed that Fanny's siblings were:
Joe a sailor (would be the Joseph that was on The Superb)
William (would tie in with William George)
Francis (would tie in with Frank)
Jemima
Crittie (possibly Christiana?)
Sara (would tie in with Sarah Jane)

Fanny's father George ROSSITER was a labourer for Baden-POWELL at Rode.

Lily Ada and George ELLIOTT's children were:

Clifford George b~Dec 1907 married 1. Geraldine BADDER 2. Mollie ANDREWS - children Steven, Francis, Eric, Freda, Alberta Joan
Lily Ada b.12 Nov 1908 Little Elm, married John Crago 26 Dec 1935 Hemmington and died 10 Sept 1992 in Nowra, New South Wales, Australia. John b.24 Nov 1907 East Cranmore, d.6 Sept 1977 Frome. They had 1 son and 5 grandchildren all still living in Australia.
Francis James b~Jun 1910 married Winnie, child Roger
Stanley Arthur b~Dec 1911 married Mabel BALSH, children Roger, Nesta, Elizabeth and Linda
Dorothy Violet b.1 Oct 1914 Stourton married Henry James SANGER 18 Sept 1937, d.5 Oct 2003; Henry died 18 Jan 1973 (my grandparents, both buried in Evercreech). They had 2 children, 6 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren all still living.
Evelyn May married Raymond BATHARD, children Jean and Gillian

I'd love to receive any further information on the Rossiters, Haines or Elliotts.

Rachel

bguser
27-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the monster post.

Fanny Emma was the daughter of George Rossiter and Jemima Millett.

George was born about 1828 and died about 1889
Jemima was born about 1830 but I have no year of death for her.

They married on December 25th 1849 and had 13 children:-

George about 1849
Henry born 1850
Ellen born 1852
Sarah born 1854
Joseph born 1856 ( died 1929)
Jemima born 1858
Fanny Emma about 1860
Christiana born 1863
Clara born 23.12.1865 died 10.2.1958 married Henry William Plowman in 1886
Emily 1 born about 1868 died in infancy
William George born 1869
Emily 2 born 27.1.1875 died 17.1.1967 married James Arthur Bullen on5.9.1903
Francis " Frank" born 1879 died 1950 married Alice but no other details

George Rossiter was the son of Job Rossiter ( born 4.9.1796 died 4.1.1875) and Christiana Paradise ( no details ..sorry) They married on May 10th 1819 in Frome.

Job was the son of William Rossiter and Sarah Millett. William was born October 1760 and died 31.5.1825. Sarah Millett was baptised in Hemington on
March 6th 1757. Sarah and William married in Laverton on November 18th 1783.

Unfortunately, that is where I am stuck at the moment on the Rossiter line though I believe that William was the son of Daniel Rossiter and Mary Purnell but this in unconfirmed.

Sarah Millett was the daughter of Benjamin Millett and Hester Rossiter. The best person to ask about the Milletts is Katy ( see Milletts of Rode thread). Hester, born about 1722, was the daughter of John Rossiter and Elizabeth Thresher.

John was the son of Abraham Rossiter from Foxcote and Frances Gibbs from Wellow.

Abraham was the son of James Rossiter from Foxcote. Unfortunately no details on James's wife and no real information about the generations beyond Benjamin Millett and Hester.

The only Haines in my database before your post was Frank and you clearly know all about him.

The only Elliott I have from Somerset is Ann Elliott from Wanstrow who married William Rossiter. I have another Rossiter-Elliott marriage but that is in America. If you want details please let me know.

Hope this all helps.

best wishes

bguser

rclaxton
28-02-2005, 1:51 PM
Many thanks bguser and all others who have posted. Its been a great help. If and when I find more information I will post it.

Rachel

Katy
01-03-2005, 8:48 AM
Hi Rachel

We are related.

Your Fanny Emma was my great grandmother's,Emily, older sister.

Bguser has given you the Rossiter side of the family, I would be willing to give you information about the Milletts as I have a little information.

Katy

John Murray
01-03-2005, 9:40 AM
[QUOTE=Katy]
Job's parents were William Rossiter and Sarah Millet. They were married at Laverton on 18 Nov 1783.

I have received the following baptisms, mostly in Laverton:

8 Jun 1783 James (Rode)
7 Mar 1784 James
20 Mar 1785 Hester
15 Apr 1787 John
16 Sep 1789 William
5 Dec 1790 Betty
16 Apr 1793 Sarah
17 May 1795 Mary
4 Sep 1796 Job
27 Jul 1800 Joseph.

Job died on 4 January 1875 in Rode.

Hello Katy

In relation to JAMES ROSSITER bap 7 Mar 1784 have you got any more info on him.
I am trying to find a James Rossiter who died 1852 in Nottingham but I cannot trace him before 1814 at his marriiage to Catherine DIX in Tuxford Notts.
I would be grateful for any info on him
Regards
John

rclaxton
01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Katy

Always good to find family!

I found your Millett entries on site but if you have further info I would love to receive it. If you want to contact me offline I am on rclaxton@dentonwildesapte.com.

Regards

Rachel

Katy
01-03-2005, 8:14 PM
In relation to JAMES ROSSITER bap 7 Mar 1784 have you got any more info on him.
I am trying to find a James Rossiter who died 1852 in Nottingham but I cannot trace him before 1814 at his marriiage to Catherine DIX in Tuxford Notts.
I would be grateful for any info on him

Hi John

Unfortunately, I have no further information on James Rossiter. I will bear your request in mind, and if I find anything out I will let you know.

Are you related?

Katy